PDA

View Full Version : Working parents...

jojo2324
04-25-2003, 07:46 AM
This may seem like a very simple question, but what do you do when your children are sick? Let's just leave it at Gannon is letting loose at both ends right now, with ferocious regularity. :( He is in good spirits for the most part, though a bit clingier than usual. He is running a low-grade fever, averaging about 99 and change. I spoke to the ped and she said it was most likely a stomach virus and that all we could really do was keep him hydrated. Easier said than done when he is barfing up everything he takes in.

I am never happy to leave him, but when he is sick I am obviously less inclined. Our caretaker is great, and I have total confidence in her, but I am a worry wart. Yesterday I found him in his crib, surrounded by a puddle of vomit. It completely freaked me out. And that is only because I checked on him...She might not do the same. And I don't know how well I can communicate to her that she needs to check on him frequently because she doesn't speak much English.

Also, it's not easy for me to call in sick to work. People are understanding...to a point. Plus, one of the girls is away on vacation, so we are already short-staffed. This might be something where I need to take the whole weekend off (I only work on weekends). What do others do? TIA :D

Sandy
04-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Joanne,
Luckily for me my job is flexible and I can work from home whenever I choose which is what I do when he is sick. If I have a client meeting or conference call I have to be on I usually have a family member come over for a couple of hours. Is there any family members who you feel comfortable with taking care of Gannon that can help you out over the weekend?

Sorry I don't have much in the way of suggestions. Sending you and Gannon healing vibes. I hope he feels better soon.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

brubeck
04-25-2003, 12:47 PM
I only have to go in to work 2 days a week, but I HAVE to go in on those days and have no choice. I leave at 5:30 am and my hubby stays around until the babysitter comes at 8 am.

My worry was always the opposite: what happens if the babysitter suddenly can't come and my husband has to go to work?

Well I have a terrific neighbor who would take the kids if it were an emergency. In fact we left Amy with her when I was giving birth to Andrew. I also have another friend who works opposite days from me at her job. We agreed to be each other's emergency call for situations like this.

Lastly, my husband's work just re-arranged their sick day policy. It is now acceptable to take a paid sick day to care for an immediate family member. Does your work have a similar policy?

JakesMom
05-09-2003, 10:24 PM
I've worked since my first son (Jake) was five weeks old. I took off eight weeks when Danny was born last August. Other than being laid off, I've worked as long as I can remember. We're really lucky in that we have a terrific caregiver who's more like a family member than anything, and loves my boys as her own.

It's always heartbreaking when you can't be the one to care for your sick child. I understand and feel your pain! However, if you have someone you trust to care for your child, make sure they can reach you and try to go to work. Save those sick days for serious emergencies and your own health just in case your employer isn't sensitive to the special needs of working parents.

Best wishes to you,
Jodi
Mom to Jacob and Daniel