PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Vacation Suggestions

JustMare
04-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Since Annette brought up the topic :)

I'm looking for a nice, interesting, relaxing place to explore with DH for our 4th wedding anniversery the last week in May. Since I'm not working, we can't really afford to go on a grand vacation like we've done in the past. I'd prefer to drive somewhere to save some money, too.

We've been to Mystic Seaport, CT, Hilton Head Island, SC, Philly,PA Wash DC, just to name a few. All I can think of is Virginia Beach/Williamsburg or Newport, RI. I don't know just how much of the mansions tours in Newport my DH can put up with:)

Any nice resorts in the Virginia or Caroliners? Preferably not too far off of I-95 :) I think I'd like to go south since that's where the warm weather is:)

Any comments or suggestions on those two destinations or any other ideas?

mama2be
04-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Since you've done some of the obvious...maybe Wilmington NC would be nice. When I first saw your post I immediatly thought Hilton Head!!! But you've been!!!

How about a nice week-end in Annapolis MD...I love Annapolis...

JustMare
04-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Ooh tell me more about Annapolis, MD. We drove through MD on our way to Hilton Head. All I know about Maryland is crab cakes! :)

mama2be
04-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Annapolis is the Capital of MD and is of course on the Chesapeake Bay. It is where the Naval Academy is and is filled with great places to eat, an olde towne for shopping, walking around and eating ice cream and a good salty dog town if you like it watch bands play and drink alittle.

You could of course in the same trip hit the Baltimore "inner harbor" which has an aquarium and shopping and water taxi's

And in the same trip hit Olde Towne Alexandria in Virginia which is also a great place to stroll eat ice cream drink and shop.

I lived in both Annapolis and Olde Towne Alexandria at one time. If you go this route email me sometime and I can help you pick stops to go to :)...

ATJ71
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
What about Cape Cod? Just as much to do here. Cheaper than Newport, RI. The weather is (usually) 70's in May, the beach is here roughly around $6 a day for parking, there are family friendly accomadations. lots of great restaurants, a few wine vineyards and of course great shopping, golf and fishing. Just a thought.

Have fun what ever you do and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

:+ ALI

mama2be
04-28-2003, 08:06 PM
...I agree Cape Cod would be a great place. The others wouldn't be as relaxing since you'd be walking, site seeing and all...Cape Cod has some huge relaxinf potential. But I'd have the others on my radar screen as a 'must do" at sometime!!! BUT then again pre baby it might be best to take the walking, site seeing route and save the relaxing trips for post baby...

MartiesMom2B
04-28-2003, 09:34 PM
You could also always zip across the bay bridge for a day and visit some of the quaint towns on MD's Eastern shore too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

RB1
04-29-2003, 08:37 AM
If you are thinking of Virginia Beach, just another hour or two south is the North Carolina Outer Banks. It fits into the "relaxing" type of vacation - not quite as touristy or built up as VB. We honeymooned there (in the Corolla area). The lighthouses are a big attraction (there are at least 3 that you can visit pretty easily). Staying in the vicinity of Kitty Hawk and Nags Head should not be too terribly expensive (those are the only areas where you'll find regular chain type hotels - the rest of the places to stay are predominantly vacation rentals). You can visit the Wright Brother's museum in Kitty Hawk, shop, eat, fly kites, mini-golf, golf or just enjoy the ocean and/or sound.

Wherever you end up, have a great time!

Rebecca

egoldber
04-29-2003, 08:49 AM
One of the nicest vacations I've had was in Charleston, SC with some college girlfriends. We rented a beach house on Folly Island and took daytrips into Charleston. It's also not that far from Savannah. We were there over Labor Day weekend, the water was warm, the beach was beautiful and EMPTY!

The house we rented wasn't particularly nice, but that's because we were cheap. I mean REALLY cheap. :) But there were many very nice houses for rent. I keep meaning to go back there and haven't done so yet. But I have wonderful memories. And Charleston has lots to do and is very nice.

HTH,

mama2be
04-29-2003, 09:05 AM
PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT...beaches, shopping, history,food, and a night life. Infact we are heading there this week-end my husband is from there!!!

natividad
04-29-2003, 09:43 AM
I live in Arlington, Virginia, but have actually spent more time exploring MD's Chesapeake Bay, which is lovely. Last year for our anniversary, we spent it at a small town called St. Michael's in Maryland. It was very relaxing! There is also Tilghman Island right next door, which is a treasure. In St. Michael's, I highly recommend staying at The Inn at Perry Cabin.

In Virginia, we have vacationed at Keswick Hall near Charlottsville. Keswick Hall is FANTASTIC!!! It is such a relaxing and pampering place. This would be the perfect place for an anniversary or romantic getaway. The service is tops, the food is great and the accomodations superb. Highly recommend this resort. While there, we did several tours, including Jefferson's Monticello, and Madison's Montpellier. My brother in law and his wife are heading to the Homestead for their anniversary, a wonderful place in Virginia.

We have also vacationed at Martha's Vineyard and Florida's Key West as well as Sanibel/Captiva. In NC, we have vacationed in Duck, Outer Banks. At the OBX we rented a beach house. I love the OBX!

Here are some helpful links.

http://www.orient-express.com/web/okes/okes_a1a_splash.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0311611619.10 51626322@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadcidmljmelcfngcfkmdffkdffj.0

http://www.stmichaelsmd.org/indexorig.html

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

Virginia Dad
04-29-2003, 09:47 AM
I would agree with RB1 about the Outer Banks/Nags Head area in North Carolina. It is only an hour away from Virginia Beach, and in my opinion, much more relaxing. We live in Richmond, Virginia and my wife is from Virginia Beach. Growing up there, she would still recommend the Outer Banks over Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach was great when I was in high school, college and right out of college, but then I was looking for the more relaxed atmosphere and found it in the Outer Banks. This is my favorite vacation spot on the east coast. The last week in May is right before it gets real busy, as school are still in session. However, there might be some college students down there since they get out mid-May.

Williamsburg is only an hour away from us so we have been there a bunch. There is a lot of good history type stuff to do, as well as shopping, in the area. I would suggest staying in one of the bed and breakfasts, which is what we did the weekend I proposed. Busch Gardens is also in Williamsburg, which I highly recommend. I don't know if I would want to spend an entire week there, but it is only about an hour from Virginia Beach so you could possibly split the week between the two.

I have been to Newport, R.I. a number of times as my uncle lives about two hours away in Connecticut (we have been to Mystic as well). The mansions are amazing and the scenery is beautiful. I am not sure you would want to spend an entire week there, but there are a number of cities nearby.

As you go further South than North Carolina, there is always Charleston and Kiawah in South Carolina, and then the islands of the coast of Georgia (St. Simons is the one I have been to and it is amazing).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

natividad
04-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I agree! The last week in May is perfect to vacation at the Outer Banks. That is exactly the time we went down last year. It is a great place!

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

SASM
04-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Mare,

If you hit Olde Town Alexandria, check out the Ghost Tours!!! They have a North tour and a South Tour ~ we've been on both and they were both VERY interesting, although I *think* that I favored the North tour a little more. Then, you could go to Xando's for smores or a sidewalk cafe for dessert!! :-)

I totally second Neve's Annapolis suggestion. I LOVE that town! There is a GREAT laid back seafood restaurant called "Cantler's Riverside Inn" (458 Forest Beach Road 410.757.1311). It is VERY local ~ you sit at picnic benches inside the restaurant. It is ~2.5 miles from the town center, on the bay, and has great steamed crabs (you can't go to Maryland without trying at least one crab) among other seafood dishes. :-) The place gets PACKED in the summertime ~ call them to see when the best time would be to go. The dining is quite "intimate" ~ the first time we went there we met a fun couple sitting next to us on the bench. We went on to have dessert together at Aromi D'Italia's :-) If you want a more formal restaurant, I hear that "Phillip's" is great and it's right in the middle of the action. Then, while strolling about you can hit the BEST gelato store outside of Italy called "Aromi d'Italia". It is right next door to Phillip's and OMG!!! The Gelato Raspberry Lemonade is WONDERFUL on a hot day!! Their gelato is truly FABULOUS!! And even better when you are pregnant!

Good luck with the decision! "East Coast" leaves you with A LOT of options. HTH! Email me with any other questions... :-)

parkersmama
04-29-2003, 10:18 AM
If you're looking for a historical-type vacation with lots to do, Savannah can't be beat! It's a great "old South" city with lots of interesting things to do and see. The pace is a little slower than Annapolis, etc, but still plenty to keep you busy.

Going further south, the Georgia islands are fabulous!! I love both Jekyll Island and St.Simon's Island. Sea Island is great, too, but much more expensive and resort-like. Fortunately, they are all very close together so you can do them all in one trip. This would be a very relaxed vacation...beach, golf, tennis, hanging out and reading books, browsing small shops, and eating at outdoor hangouts. There are several fun historical things to do as well but they aren't terribly time-consuming. It's very romantic...the perfect spot to celebrate your anniversary!

csa12
04-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Denise -
We are looking for a great anniversary trip too and were thinking about Savannah and maybe the Georgia islands. Do you know if any of the islands are for members only or do you need to know someone who lives there in order to have access to it?

Thanks in advance,
Cheryl :)

MegND95
04-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Such a fun topic!!! There have been some incredible suggestions listed here. Makes me want to take a vacation. Here is my input, for what it's worth.

Annapolis: LOVE IT!!!! Lived there for two years while dh worked at the Academy. I miss it, especially this time of year. But in May, you need to be careful, as the Naval Academy graduation usually falls right around the end of the month, and the place is packed. Great sites to see....the Mids marching, Blue Angels airshow...but you will have a hard time finding a room. As many others have mentioned, there are a ton of day trips you could take, in addition to touring Annapolis.

Savannah: DH and I spent our first anniversary there and had an incredible weekend. I found it very romamtic, with good restaurants.

Sanibel: Vacationed there as a child and remember it as beautiful and relatively quiet.

Key West: Awesome night life. DH and I went there after college graduation and had a wonderful time. Was a little crowded, but there are out of the way places that make you feel more isolated. And the Hemingway house is terrific, especially if you like the author.

Newport, RI: Also very cool. DH did some Navy training there, in the winter, and I still loved it. The mansions are amazing to see, and the coastline is beautiful.

I don't know that I have provided any original ideas, but simply added my input on other suggestions. Good luck with you decision and have a wonderul time!

JustMare
04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I was surprised to see so many wonderful places I've never heard of before. I'm going to spend the afternoon doing searches on all your suggestions. I'm so excited :)

DH has suggested going to Cedarpoint Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH. A friend of his had recommended the Breakers Hotel. DH thinks it might be fun since we've never "headed west" before. (We've flown to Vegas, but never driven past Hershey, PA, so that's what he means about "going west":)) He also likes that it's only an eight hour drive, which in men-speak means six hours tops!:)

I looked on the cedarpoint.com website and I liked that it's right on Lake Erie, there's a boardwalk, beach, etc.. Everything is on this one peninsula. But how's the weather in Ohio in late May, early June?

This is only an idea, I'm still researching all your suggestions. Which ever location meets our requirements, we'll end up doing: less than a 10 hour drive, nice weather, some activities to do and has a nice 3 or 4 star hotel :)

Thanks again!! Keep them coming!!

MegND95
04-29-2003, 03:01 PM
We went to Cedar Point during Senior Week in college. It was well worth the trip from South Bend, let me tell you. I LOVED it. And from what I have heard, they have added several really cool new rides. We went in late May, and it was cool and rainy. Dh is from Northern Ohio and I have experienced warm, wonderful weather in May and June. But, there were planty of visits when the weather was pretty gross too.

Have fun deciding!

parkersmama
04-29-2003, 08:17 PM
As far as I know they are all open to everyone. Sea Island is the most exclusive. I believe there are some private homes but there is a *fabulous* resort there called The Cloisters. It may actually be the only hotel on the island. It is quite exclusive and romantic and upscale and expensive. :-) My best friend from college got married at The Cloisters and it was wonderful. The resort is sooo beautiful and the food at the reception was beyond great.

A lower price but still extremely nice resort on St.Simon's Island is The King and Prince. That's actually where everyone stayed for my friend's wedding and we just drove over to Sea Island for the ceremony and reception. There are lots of other hotels and rental houses on St. Simon's and Jekyll. St. Simon's is bigger and has more restaurants and therefore a little more hustle and bustle. Jekyll is a little more laid back and quieter. They both have golf, tennis, and beaches (of course!). I love them both but would say that I lean toward St.Simon's if you want to stay in a hotel and Jekyll if you'd rather rent a house.\

Hope this helps!!

August Mom
04-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Cedar Point is a bit different than the other vacation suggestions posted here. It is not particularly relaxing. It is tiring, but very exciting if you like roller coasters. Ohio is a state known for its coasters. There's Kings Island north of Cincinnati and Cedar Point in Sandusky. Both are excellent amusement parks. Cedar Point is on the lake and there are other lake-oriented activities to do there. I'm not familiar with the restaurants there because typically we do a day trip up and back and either eat fast food or eat at Cedar Point. Weather wise, it could be anything. We've had snow in May before (although this is quite unusual). It very easily could rain. It could be beautiful. It could be hot. Just make sure I'm not going on the same day as you. It seems like whenever I go it is outrageously hot (and I have a low heat tolerance) LOL. If you go to Cedar Point and you like rides and especially coasters, you'll have a good time. One other thing to think about, though, since you're TTC, you might be pregnant when you go and not realize it. Most rides there (and certainly all the coasters) warn pregnant women not to ride, so you might not want to risk it. Just something to think about.

mama2be
04-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Naty I moved here to Raleigh from your area!!!!

The Inn at Perry Cabin is lovely, it might have been sold but it was owned by Laura Ashley's husband!!!

You have named many of my favorite places...I almost mentioned Martha's Vineyard too but it's not off of 95 so I caught myslef...but if you'd reconsider that criteria I'd put it on my list to do!!!

Oh and Pre baby the keys are also a great place!!!

JustMare
04-30-2003, 04:15 PM
DH and I love amusement parks and HATE rollercoasters. I know, crazy combination! Our families laugh at us! We love to watch the shows, have a nice lunch in a sitdown restaurant and stroll around. That's why we usually go to Disney. No major thrill rides.

We've gone to all the theme parks in Florida, Hershey Park, SixFlags, DH says we only need to hit Cedarpoint and Busch Gardens Williamsburg and he feels we've completed the east coast :) What a goal to have in life! :):)

We've actually never heard of Cedarpoint until his friend mentioned it. Last night I saw it on the Travel Channel too. It must be a big hit with the midwesterners. I've lived in New York all my life and never heard of anyone mentioning it before. Just that alone, has us curious as to what we've been missing.

From the website, it looks like there's lots to do there. I love that it's right on the beach.

Plus, we've always wanted to go to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame which is nearby.

Anything else do in the area? We're planning to spend about 4 days there.

Does anyone know if Dominic's Restaurant in The Breakers hotel is nice? Is it nice enought to spend an anniversary dinner there?

How many hours is it REALLY from NYC? We're thinking of leaving the city before dawn on a Thursday.

Thanks for all your help!

khakismom
04-30-2003, 04:48 PM
South Bend? As in Indiana? I was wondering if the ND in your name meant something special and apparently it does... I am a SMC grad!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

khakismom
04-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Mare, if you're going to be in Sandusky, you need to take the ferry to Put-in-Bay Island. My DH and I used to make a yearly trek there with his fraternity brothers and their wives and we always had a ball! There's lots to do: strolling, eating, and drinking. And, you can take another boat from the island to Middle Bass Island--this tiny island that boasts this neat little winery (I think it's still there). HTH! Have fun on your vaca!! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

August Mom
04-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Well, if you don't like coasters, this might be a relaxing vacation. LOL Cedarpoint does have some decent shows. I can't remember whether there's a nice sit down restaurant there or not (there definitely is at Kings Island). I'm not sure about Dominic's Restaurant, but if you're going to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, you're driving to Cleveland, so I think I'd work in an anniversary dinner there in the big city. (Of course all the places you'll go in Ohio will seem tiny compared to NYC). BTW, this is about an hour trip. I second the recommendation about going to the nearby islands. That should be fun.

Here's a link that might give you ideas about other things to do in Sandusky: http://www.sanduskyohiocedarpoint.com/