PDA

View Full Version : Denise, how are you feeling? Happy Due Date!

atlbaby
04-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I think you said you were going back to the doctor today? Just wanted to see how you are doing! I Hope things are moving along, or will be *very* soon! It's got to be one of these days now, and then you will have your beautiful baby girl!:) I can't wait to hear all about her!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

parkersmama
04-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for asking!! I'm STILL here, though. UGH. :-) At my doctor's appointment this morning everything was still the same! Can you believe it?!? I am still not really dilated any (fingertip) and he said that although her head is down, it "bounces" away when he pushes meaning it's not really engaged. I am now officially the most pregnant that I've EVER been! Parker came on his due date but at 1:46 a.m. so barely on his due date so it's now way past that! Isn't it weird the little things we obsess over at a time like this. LOL!

The doctor scheduled an NST for next Tuesday (41 weeks) but said that we should call by Friday if I want to schedule an induction for next Tuesday morning. I hate the idea of being induced but also hate the idea of waiting. What to do? I am just hoping that the little booger will come on her own!! If we do the induction, he said they would use Cervidil to get the dilation process going and then break my water and let me walk around to get things really going. Still sounds pretty invasive to me. What's the advantage of that over just starting pitocin? I hate making this decision!!

Anyway, sorry to whine but thanks so much for asking and thinking of me!

COElizabeth
04-29-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm not an expert, but I knew I had to have an induction and was faced with the choice of a prostaglandin first or just going to pitocin (I think Cervidil is a prostaglandin applied to the cervix, right?). My understanding is that the prostaglandin gel or insert helps ripen the cervix, so it somewhat increases the chance of a successful induction (meaning that you actually go into labor and deliver vaginally, rather than "fail to progress" with pitocin and wind up with a c-section). Also, there is a chance that the prostaglandin will jump start things enough that you go into labor and don't need the pit at all. If you were being induced but already had a really favorable cervix (dilated more, somewhat effaced), then you could probably go straight to the pit.

As it turned out, I didn't get to make a choice, since I had to be induced earlier than planned. I had the prostaglandin first, and it was no big deal. You just have to lie down for a couple of hours to keep it in your body (make sure it doesn't fall out - mine did the first time). It did the job - within about 3 hours I was much more effaced than before, and the contractions were getting more intense. I still had the pit, though, and then things got really intense.

Having said all that, going into labor naturally sounds far preferable to me, and I hope your little one comes on her own!

HTH.
Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience, Elizabeth! The more swollen my feet get, the more I'm thinking an induction sounds good. ;-) I've had the prostaglandin before but that was after my water had already broken and I wasn't progressing so I've never done it from the start. I'm still really hoping this stinker won't require that sort of intervention! :-)

Rachels
04-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey, sweetie, hang in there! You're almost there. Try to hold off on an induction. The risks to both you and your sweet baby increase quite a bit when you induce. You'll likely have a MUCH easier birth and a faster recovery if you let your body tell you when it's time for this baby to be born. I know you're miserable and uncomfortable. You're so close, though. You knew how to grow this baby perfectly, and you know how to move her to the outside when she's ready! Trust your body and your baby. They know what to do.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mharling
04-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Hang in there! I was due April 5. On April 4, I went to the doctor and he said my cervix was 'thick & hard'. No dilation whatsoever! April 5 came and went and dh and I figured it would be at least a few days before anything happened. I woke up the morning of April 6 and discovered my water had broken. The moral of the story? Dh and I learned very quickly that things can start happening when you least expect it!!

Mary
Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

josephsmom
04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Hang in there, Denise. Please don't agree to an induction unless it's an absolute medical necessity. You can read about my experience in the "cytotec" thread from a few weeks ago. Good luck to you.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 11:24 AM
That's happened to me in the past as well. I've always been one of those "you'll be back next week" moms whose water breaks a couple of days later. That's certainly what I'm counting on!!

Of course, all my friends and acquaintances think I'm totally nuts and should go for the induction! And, of course, everyone thinks it would be so "convenient"...they could plan better to be here, in other words. Also, I think dh wishes I'd agree to the induction because he's ready to get this over with! Whose body is it anyway?!? LOL! Right now it feels like it belongs to the baby! :-)

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks Rachel and Helene. What do you guys know about this "stillbirth" business? What's the *real* likelihood of this?! It sounds so scary and I do know someone that it happened to but it seems like such a far out thing.

josephsmom
04-30-2003, 11:40 AM
I don't know any solid statistics on this, but Rachel probably does. She's done a lot of research in this area. I didn't mean to scare you, just to give you some motivation to avoid interventions that you may not really need. Hang in there!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

atlbaby
04-30-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm hoping you'll be one of those moms who WON'T be back next week again!! Hang in there, it won't be long--induction or not! Just think, it could be Georgia in *July/August* right now (though no doubt it's hot enough already down there!). Can't wait to hear all about your beautiful baby girl!:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Me, too! And you're right...July or August would definitely be worse! Although, my outdoor thermometer is currently reading 90.0 degrees *in the shade*!!! Unseasonably hot, actually.

blnony
04-30-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry I saw this post so late. I just wanted to send happy delivery vibes your way. I hope you see your little girl soon. Good luck - I'll be thinking about you.

jojo2324
04-30-2003, 11:05 PM
LOL, of COURSE it belongs to her! :D

Hope this finds you with your baby girl! Healthy delivery vibes your way!