PDA

View Full Version : Classes?

Steve S
04-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Hello, my wife and I are expecting our first child in August. We are contemplating taking "Preparation for Childbirth" classes.

Does everyone agree that these classes are necessary?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

parkersmama
04-29-2003, 01:52 PM
I think they are good for first time parents. If for no other reason than you'll get a tour of the hospital, see a room, and find out how things work for the delivery. I didn't find the breathing, etc, to be too helpful and most of the other information was stuff I'd already read in books. We only did a childbirth class the first time around (as do most people, I think).

C99
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Necessary? No. Did my husband and I take one and find it helpful? Yes.

egoldber
04-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I think it depends on you. It is definitely necessary to get properly educated about birth and the birthing process. I thought I was well prepared and in retrospect realize that I wasn't.

And the tour of the hospital is definitely worthwhile! They tell you VERY important things like how to manage the "dad has to park the car and what does mom do in the meantime dilemma?" And also where do you check in if you go into labor after hours!

We also took a child care class. I didn't learn much in it, but DH did. He had never been around a baby before and had never changed a diaper. They also taught us how to swaddle, and give current info on baby care and things like that. I was also signed up to take a breastfeeding class but I went into labor before the class!

I would also HIGHLY recommend an infant first aid and CPR class. It is MUCH harder to take that class after your baby is born.

HTH,

Steve S
04-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I think we are leaning towards taking them. I also think the infant CPR class is a must!

Thanks again,

Steve

nigele
04-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Steve,

I say go for it! You have nothing to lose and you will meet other expectant couples to share stories with. I only recently took an Infant CPR class and am kind of glad I waited until my son was eating solids so it is fresh in my mind now in case he chokes.

Good luck!

COElizabeth
04-29-2003, 03:46 PM
In addition to what the others said, I found them to be a nice time for DH and me to relax and focus on the baby coming. Our class had a reunion a few months later, and that was a lot of fun.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

brubeck
04-29-2003, 03:52 PM
The best thing I got from the classes was meeting other pregnant women and realizing that I wasn't weird for having certain feelings/issues. This was before the BBB board obviously! :-)

And Beth, we took a child care class too. I found it mildy useful, and they gave us the dolls as well. You could tell none of the guys in the class had ever touched a doll before. Most of them were throwing them around. I looked over at my husband and he had turned the head, arms and legs all the way around and was calling it the 'Exorcist Baby'. Is it any wonder I didn't trust him alone with Amy for the first few weeks? :-)

flagger
04-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi Steve welcome to the BBB boards,

First off congratulations on the birth of your first child. I will agree that none of the classes we took were necessary, but they were extemely helpful. Here is a rundown of what I/we have taken so far and my thoughts about each one.

Dad Boot Camp - Just men at this one. Was great to be around other men to talk about the same fears and thoughts and emotions each is going through. There were two "veteran dads" with a 10 mos and 14 mos old that had been through the class. For some there, it was their first time holding a baby EVER. Cannot say enough good things about this one.

Epidural Class - (Free at our hospital) Nice to hear from an anesthesiologist about the procedure. The risks, spinal headaches and the time when one is given and how long they tend to get to the room from the time the mom says "I want one". Good just for the information even if you are planning on natural.

Childbirth Prep - We thought it would get more into breathing techniques, and most of the information had already been covered by various reading we had done. However good to talk with other couples about the same emotions, thoughts and to mee people having a baby near your due date. Talked about current thoughts on newborn care, swaddling, diapering. Yes some had never diapered a baby (doll in this case). We did ours over two days (Saturday and Sunday). I felt we retained more than spreading it out over several weeks.

Breastfeeding Basics - A must if you want to BF. Nice to meet the LAC consultants at the hospital. Talk about products, pumps, watch videos of latching on, etc.

Infant CPR - (Taking this in two weeks) Our OB actually tells his patients to wait until after the baby is born and going towards solids before taking this. DW was a lifeguard and I was a volunteer firefighter so we both have had this training, but good for us to get a refresher. Plus it will be nice to have a class that centers just on infants/toddlers instead of adults.

Remember each and every labour is different. Ask 100 women and you will get 100 different stories. Women have been doing this for several millenia and they will continue long after we are gone. It is good to at least have the knowledge of what you can expect to see, feel and hear. Best of luck.

Flagger
www.stayathomeparents.us

mharling
04-29-2003, 04:31 PM
The classes we took were similar to what has already been mentioned. Baby care (dh had also never held a baby or changed a diaper), childbirth preparation and breastfeeding.

I had heard from friends that childbirth preparation classes seemed to help the fathers more than the mothers. In our case, it was very helpful for both of us; the instructor was great and we even surprised ourselves by using some of the techniques during delivery. We also ran into a couple of couples when I was admitted to the hospital. Was nice to recognize some faces on the ward and talk to them about their very recent births.

Breastfeeding class was great. If dw is intending to breastfeed, or even if you're on the fence, I would strong encourage going to this one. Like someone else mentioned, you get to meet at least one lactation consultant and learn what they can provide you with both while you're still in the hospital and after you go home. Great way to learn about their services before you're actually doing it!

Mary
Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

parkersmama
04-29-2003, 08:11 PM
I forgot about infant CPR...that was a great class! In fact, we probably need a refresher course.

Also, as for the breastfeeding class...I took it and it was extremely helpful. Dh felt uncomfortable and didn't go but looking back I really wish he had. We had some nursing problems in the beginning and with my sleep-deprived, befuddled brain it would have been nice if he'd been there and been able to recall some of the info for me!

jubilee
04-29-2003, 09:19 PM
The prepared childbirth class was valuable to both myself and my husband. He had never had a child before, so didn't have any idea what to expect. Tom said he was grateful we took the class because it reduced his nervousness about the labor and delivery. I was glad because things have changed since I had my first 11 years ago. I feel it's important to take the class at the hospital where you will be giving birth because they discuss hospital policies. The class we went to was 6 weeks long, one night a week, and I liked it that way because I often thought of questions during the week.
I also took the breastfeeding class, which was great. The lactation consultant made a great point of saying that it was a critical class since you'll spend hours each day breastfeeding. It definately helped me.

Steve S
04-30-2003, 09:28 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone very much for your thoughtful replies! It really helps.

The classes we have the option to take are one day(two hours) a week for six weeks. Seems like a long time to me, but after reading your replies, it seems normal!

Thanks again,

Steve

BTW, Flagger, this is sirchief from BBR...

KathyO
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm weighing in a day late and a dollar short on this (husband installed a firewall, which prevented me from logging on here for a couple of days!) but not only would I add my recommendation for pre-birth classes (we did early prenatal (how to manage the pregnancy) and late prenatal (how to manage the birth), and breastfeeding)... I would also recommend, if they are available in your area, anything in the way of post-natal classes.

In my area, they were available for the mums, once a week, for six weeks, and you generally started at around the six-week-old mark. We brought the babies, and covered all that stuff they don't talk about in the childbirth classes - getting enough sleep, dealing with colic, car seats, introducing solids, remembering to have some kind of relationship with your spouse, etc. The class was in the local public health office, so if any of the babies started to cry, there was a bottomless supply of nurses eager to take a break from their work and trot the little wailer up and down the hall while the ragged mum relaxed. We shared tips and tricks and insecurities and anxieties and mother-in-law stories and all that good stuff. It was a real sanity saver. At the end of the six weeks, we decided that we liked the get-togethers so much that we'd keep them up, rotating between houses. The kids are all over two now, and we're still going strong. It is a FABULOUS way to connect with other folks who are at the same age, stage and level of baby-obsession as you! And it gave me a rudimentary social life outside the home, which was also a great thing.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

KathyO