PDA

View Full Version : Which natural methods for inducing induction actually worked for you?

justlearning
05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Friends have suggested that I drink rasberry tea and make love as a way to encourage my labor to start. Have these or any other methods actually worked for you? If so, does the rasberry tea have to be a certain type (my friend brought over a box of herbal rasberry tea that you just buy at the regular grocery store)? Sorry to be explicit here, but does the aspect of sex that triggers labor the orgasm or the actual intercourse (i.e., which one is necessary or are both together?)?

I'm leaning towards not having my doctor induce me and trying to wait a couple of more weeks, but if there's anything that truly is effective in naturally inducing labor, I really want to try it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

flagger
05-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Depending on what your doctor says, your orgasm could trigger the contractions as the muscles involved in that "release" are the same that your uterus uses. However, several things I have read seem to indicate that it is his semen that contains the hormone (forgive me for not remembering) that start the process.

Rasberry tea is something that worked for my neighbor and rasberry tea leaves is something we have used with the dogs to help induce labour as well. One thing to remember is you never know if labor was going to happen naturally anyway or if the sex act, or the walking, etc. helped it along.

I did read that nipple stimulation is supposed to work as well, but have also read how that should not be attempted without having the doctor's okay.

As uncomfortable as you are and believe me Ms. Flagger is right behind you so I know, I am a firm believer that you and most importantly your baby knows when it is time to put things in motion. Unless there is a medical need for labor to be artificially induced then keep proceeding as normal. If you can stand to have sex, have it. If you can stand to walk do that, etc.

Labor vibes being sent your way!

loewymartin
05-07-2003, 01:18 PM
My doctor told me on a Wednesday (after a Non stress test) that he wanted me to think about induction. I had an apppointment the next day, and said I would talk to him about it then. (This was 12 days before my due date).

I took a very long walk that evening, and overseeded the lawn (which involved a lot of walking :-)). Ken and I discussed having sex, but decided against it as the ultrasound that day showed that the baby's head was very low. (To answer your question, intercourse can also help because the prostaglandin in sperm may jumpstart labor).

I went to bed, and woke up at 1:30am to go to the bathroom. I went back to bed and at 1:50am my water broke! So, something worked :-)

I've had friends that have eaten spicy foods, walked, had sex etc. and sometimes these things "work" and sometimes they don't. I'm more inclined to think that they "work" when the baby is ready to come anyway :-)

I agree with your thought of waiting a while instead of being induced. Unless there's a problem with the baby, I would wait. Talk it over with your doctor and express your concerns.

Good luck - and I wish you a short, easy labor! Mine was 3.5 hours from my water breaking to Alia being born - I highly recommend a short, easy labor :-) even if you have to have back labor like I did!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

Andrea S
05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Nothing worked for me we tried walking, sex and I even washed cars and cleaned baseboards.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

sweetbasil
05-07-2003, 02:52 PM
I've heard that the achilles tendon area is to be avoided through pregnancy- in massages, etc., because massaging that area can help get labor started. My massage therapist never goes there- I'm wondering if there's a recommended way to try that approach and get things jumpstarted? Does anybody know?

AngelaS
05-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Well, at 4cm, 80%, waaay soft and 0 station, castor oil didn't work.

Cleaned me out nicely tho....

TMI??

himom
05-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Well, here’s some anecdotal evidence:

We tried walking, other exercises, sex, rocking, etc.

I was overdue, enormous, and frustrated. My DH gave me an amazing foot massage, paying special attention to the arch area and between my toes.

7 hours later I was in labor (bloody show & contractions 6-10 minutes apart), and DS was born that day. I am personally convinced it was the massage, but it could have been a coincidence. :D

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03

muskiesusan
05-08-2003, 06:20 AM
In our Bradley classes, the instructor was going over ways to start labor, and one of them was eating skyline chili (aka Cincinnati chili). She said she had this work for several students.

Well, I wasn't trying to jumpstart labor or anything, but we were at a party where this was served as an appetizer dip, and being pregnant, I ate about the whole thing. That night I went into labor, 2 weeks early!!!

It may have be just a fluke, but I wonder.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

alkagift
05-08-2003, 11:33 AM
In our childbirth classes, the instructor told us about several accupressure points that we could use (and she specifically told us NOT to try them right then in the class). One was the muscle/joint right where your forefinger and thumb meet on the top of your hand. There was one other around your ankle, so maybe the foot massage WAS the thing!

Allison
Expecting #1 5/27/03

peggyliu
05-09-2003, 01:25 AM
My research:

Stimulating Labor
· Candidates must be at term (=/>37 weeks gestational age).
· Raspberry leaf: (tea or tincture) is one of the best uterine tonic herbs to prepare uterine muscles for an efficient labor. Its astringent action slows bleeding and helps to expel the placenta. Have the tea on hand or make raspberry tea ice cubes to suck on during labor.
· Accupressure in mouth: Point in the roof of the mouth stimulates the uterus. The technique seems to work best if the client has at least reached 3cm. Use "dum dum" (brand name, spherical) lollipops. They fit perfectly into that spot in the roof of the mouth. This should speed up contractions within 30 minutes... if it doesn't the body is probably not ready.
· Accupressure on ankle: Pressing acupressure points on the outside of her ankles. You start towards the back by your ankle bone and work midway to the front side of the foot.
· Stimulate nipples: Start by applying warm compresses to both breasts, Using an electric breast pump, start by pumping one breast for 15 min then switch sides and place warm compress on pumped side and begin pumping on other side, continue this alternation technique until regular strong and rhythmic contractions begin (usually 20-30 minutes) then stop...if contractions should begin to decline in strength or regularity, resume breast stimulation with breast pump for 5 min/side until the strength and regularity resumes. Contractions should be a minimum of (5) minutes apart lasting 60-90 seconds. Stop the pump during contractions then switch to the other breast. Switching frequently probably helps avoid nipple strain and the breaks for contractions are supposed to prevent over-stimulation. (If doing manual stimulation, you might try using Lansinoh to prevent nipple soreness.)
· Castor oil cocktail: (mixed results) glass of orange juice, baking soda, and castor oil. it works by stimulating the bowels, which in turn can stimulate the uterus, so metamucil works too and is much easier to take!!
· Softening the cervix: Always start with the lowest recommended dosage first and increase slowly only if needed. Please check with your care provider before initiating any of these remedies to be sure they are appropriate for you.
o Borage and Flax Seed Oil , Black Current Oil, 3-6 capsules, taken orally, everyday and/or rubbed directly on the cervix if bag of waters is intact, after 37 weeks.
o Blue and Black Cohosh Tinctures, 5-10 drops each, in cup of water or tea, 1-2 times everyday, after 37 weeks.
o For rapid ripening: Black Cohosh Tincture, 15 - 25 drops, under the tongue, every 30 - 60 minutes, will usually soften the cervix within 6 hours.
o Cohosh (in my experience) can make lots of uncomfortable toning contractions and false labor sometimes with the risk of raising the blood pressure. Because of this, I suggest another option which is taken orally. Nutritional Formulas make Matrigin. http://www.birthandbaby.com/shop/categories/Category17.shtml. A similar medicine is made by Weleda with a different name-Dolisos Caulophyllum Complex. It is a 5 remedy homeopathic concoction that has reduced the length of labor in a double blind study in France (The Dolisos Study). Women started taking it at the beginning of the ninth month.
o Take Evening Primrose oil (gel-caps (>500 mgs.)) orally 2-3X's per day at almost 38 weeks and insert 2 in the vagina at bedtime--she has to remain lying down to keep them in. It doesn't START labor, only prepares the cervix.
o After 39 weeks, as long as membranes are intact, massage Evening Primrose oil onto cervix morning and evening, and used as the lubricant for all cervical examinations. If her membranes rupture and labor does not begin, she should shower rather than bathe, and avoid sex or anything that could introduce germs into her vagina (including vaginal exams).
· Use 2 ml palma rosa essential oil (make sure it is therapeutic grade essential oil) in to 100 ml carrier oil (no peanut oil for pregnant woman)to give a full body massage 24 hours before you want labor to start. Paying special attention to the abdomen and back. I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to boost the level of oxytocin. I figure at worst you have a very relaxed pregnant mom...And at best... well things get going. ( this tip came from a midwife, RN, and licensed aromatherapist from england. 1500+ births)
· One Midwife's Herbal Induction Protocol
1. Recommended dose of herbs:
o First hour: 5 drops of Black Cohosh tincture, 5 drops of Blue Cohosh tincture every twenty minutes.
o Second hour: 10 drops of Black Cohosh tincture, 10 drops of Blue Cohosh, and 5 drops of Pennyroyal tincture every twenty minutes.
o Third hour: 15 drops of Black Cohosh tincture, 15 drops of Blue Cohosh tincture, and 10 drops of Pennyroyal tincture every twenty minutes.
o Fourth hour: 20 drops of Black Cohosh tincture, 20 drops of Blue Cohosh tincture, and 15 drops of Pennyroyal tincture every twenty minutes.
o Fifth hour: 1 full dropper of Black Cohosh tincture, and 1 full dropper of Blue Cohosh tincture, and ½ dropper of Pennyroyal tincture every twenty minutes.
o Maintain fifth hour dose until contractions are 2 minutes apart and 60 seconds long, OR until cervix is 4 cms. dilated, then discontinue.
o ** Hold tincture mixture in your mouth for the count of 5, then swallow and rinse with water.
2. If, after 6-8 hours, a contraction pattern fails to become established, and/or cervical dilation has not reached 4 cms., herbs may be discontinued, and re-started the following day.
3. If membranes are already ruptured: monitor temperature every four hours; maintain hydration; and limit cervical examinations (using sterile gloves) to the minimum necessary.

justlearning
05-09-2003, 01:43 AM
To all of you who have responded to my question about naturally inducing labor, THANK YOU! I followed many of your tips and believe that I am actually in the very beginning stage of labor as I type this. I'll post an update later to say if the techniques actually did work for me. Thanks again for your help.

Rachels
05-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Yaayyyy!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear of your baby's arrival! Happy birth vibes to you!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

spu
05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
That's wondeful!!!
Orgasm, and nipple stimulation, release pitocin and oxytocin, 2 hormones that are elevated and necessary for labor and to help the uterus have contractions.

Good luck!!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Jen841
05-09-2003, 03:51 PM
You have me excited, I am going for a pedicure tomorrow and I am 38 weeks pregnant. My woman gives a GREAT foot massage!

justlearning
05-09-2003, 04:54 PM
UGHHHH!! Just to let you know, it turns out I wasn't starting labor afterall. I thought I was because I started having food-poisoning like symptoms, which is what a friend had when her labor was starting, and my contractions were getting more intense and regular. Unfortunately, though, the contractions were just Braxton-Hicks and my doctor this morning said I'm 80% effaced (which is what I was last week) and barely dilated. Oh, well, I guess I'll have to go walking again (I walked more yesterday than I had in the last three months!) and keep my husband busy again tonight. :) Thanks again for your suggestions.