PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent DS from PEEING on you while changing diaper?

StaceyKim
05-07-2003, 08:37 PM
I have been using a wet warm towel to cover it but then I have been getting his outfit wet in the process! Any suggestions?
Also, can you use a wipe on DS genital area?

BTW, my DS now weighs 10lbs and grew an inch at his 2 week Dr.'s appointment.

sbaker
05-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I always just covered him quickly with a dry cloth diaper or sometimes a wet wipe.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

LD92599
05-07-2003, 08:43 PM
I have been using a dry baby washcloth to cover him and then hike his clothes to about the middle of his chest..I also tend to change him using a waterproof lap pad underneath. Fortunately he's only peed 3 times while being changed. Twice he has perfect aim on the wall and the other time the washcloth caught most of it and the rest was on the lap pad, but not his clothes.

Just my 2 cents! Congrats on the growth of your DS. That's great!

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

StaceyKim
05-07-2003, 08:43 PM
thanks!
rayce is really DAHLING!

sweetbasil
05-07-2003, 08:46 PM
If remembering correctly, we mostly used lukewarm washcloths on DS's little pee-pee until his circumcision healed up, but after that, you need to clean as much of it as humanly possible with wipes- including pushing the foreskin back and cleaning under it (sorry if too graphic). Assuming, of course, he's circumsized. If not, you probably can be even more thorough about wiping him down.

For the dirty-to-clean-diaper-switcheroo, I'd just open up the next diaper and lay it over DS to keep him from squirting (only wasted a few diapers that way) while I cleaned his bottom. It seems we just got faster with time, and as they get older, it gets easier to tell when they're about to spray ;)

Edited to add: Like Laura said, waterproof pads are so awesome- we still have them on the changing table for DS, and I just bought new ones for our little one on the way- sure beats changing the entire cover with every accident!

Good luck- and congrats on how quickly he's growing- that's so great!

Momof3Labs
05-07-2003, 09:27 PM
After you loosen his diaper, hike up his clothes and turn him onto his belly! Even if he pees, he'll only get the waterproof pad (or you could put the clean diaper under him), not the wall, you, anything else within aim. And it is a great way to take the time needed to clean a poopy butt! After Colin's butt was clean and was covered in diaper rash cream, I would flip him back onto his back and wipe his penis carefully (by peeking into the diaper), then close up the diaper.

etwahl
05-07-2003, 09:29 PM
I assume this works as well for boys as it does for girls, but I hold DD's legs up to her belly for about 10 seconds (therefore pressing on her bladder) before undoing the diaper. She usually pees before I take it off.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

twins r fun
05-07-2003, 10:46 PM
I'm sure this won't sound right when I explain it, but this is a trick the NICU nurses taught us (just imagine the hassle of trying to change a baby's clothes when the baby is attached to wires and IVs and you'll see why this issue is important to NICU nurses! ). Before you undo the old diaper, place the new diaper in position under the baby. Get it all centered and lined up, just as if you were putting it under the naked butt. Then undo the dirty diaper, do your cleaning, pull the old diaper out, and all you have to do is flip over the front of the new diaper. There is much less "exposed time" this way and if the child does start peeing you can quickly flip the front of the diaper over to catch it-you may waste a diaper, but usually not an outfit. Did I explain it well enough for anyone to understand?!

JMarie
05-07-2003, 11:18 PM
I've stopped counting how many times Aidan has shot the wall behind his changing table! We usually just put a wipe over him, but it seems every time we forget, he reminds us. I will have to try the flipping-over move - that sounds like it would really work great for us!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

lukkykatt
05-08-2003, 06:55 AM
I have 2 boys, so quite alot of experience trying to avoid being peed on! I used the double diaper method, like Nicole. When the boys started getting a little bigger and more wiggly, I used to put a dixie cup over that area - that worked really well too.

Congratulations on your little one!

dogmom
05-08-2003, 08:59 AM
I got about a gazillion bibs as gifts. They didn't look that practical for feeding, so I picked about half a dozen, stocked the changing table with them, and used those for a while. It gets much better. He only pees on us right after bath time now when we leave him to "air out" for a while. One of my favorite memories is hearing screaming coming from upstairs from my DH who went to change him. He had bent down to put the diaper in the diaper genie and all the sudden thought to himself, "Hmmm...why is it raining inside." Our DS soaked the top of his head!

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

brubeck
05-08-2003, 09:55 AM
I use those old-fashioned Gerber cloth diapers as burp cloths (they're really just a large, soft absorbent cloth). I always have one handy at the changing table and I put it over the necessary parts. I do this dry. Why do other people use a wet cloth? Won't a wet one not soak up anything that comes out?

The burp cloth is also handy if there ends up being a mess because it can wipe up well.

I also do the fresh diaper under the old trick and have a lap pad on the changing pad.

nigele
05-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Stacey,

I can't offer any further suggestions - these ladies have 'covered' it all! ;-) But I wanted to tell you Michael is an absolute doll!!!

StaceyKim
05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! Boys are definitely tougher in the diaper department. My DS loves to start pooping right after I clean him all up. I end up using a lot of diapers for 1 change. I think I will buy stock in diapers!

MartiesMom2B
05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Oooh this is a good tip Tammy. Are her legs bent when you press up or do you just stick her legs straight up?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

luvbeinmama
05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Dry baby washcloth. I used to have a stack on the changing table for just that very thing.

Pull any outfit above the belly button, remove any pants even if they are snap-crotch (unless its connected to the top like overalls). Do arrange the clean diaper underneath before removing the old one. Undo the tabs. Lift up the diaper and put the washcloth on right away. You can wipe under the cloth, or lift out of the way when actually cleaning the penis. I saved myself lots of squirts/outfit changes this way. Keep the old diaper underneath until they are all clean, tuck all the wipes into the diaper, roll it up a bit, and scootch it off to the side. Remove the washcloth as you pull up & fasten the new diaper. I left my changing table pad without a cover and just put one of the gerber diapers underneath the bum (changing area). This was really easy to replace when he peed. Often, I had a flannel receiving blanket under the head. I used wipes from day one on both DS and DD.

DD quite often would poop while getting changed. For a while it was like clockwork. I would clean her, wait for the poop, clean up the poop, put on the clean diaper. They do grow out of this and (at almost 7 months) she hasn't done that for quite a while. After a while you don't have to worry so much about the pee, either.

HTH!

luvbeinmama
05-09-2003, 02:05 AM
BTW - Congratulations!