PDA

View Full Version : What recycled toys/books have you ended up with?

flagger
05-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Any from your own childhood or maybe neices and nephews? (This is more from family than garage sales/consignment stores)

When we went home last summer I raided my mom's house and came back with the Fisher Price stacking rings, alphabet blocks, a wooden Noah's ark on a rope complete with wooden animals, a wooden 5 piece train on wheels, about three boxes worth of toys.

I also ended up with several classic books, from AA Milne to Kipling, Dahl and others. I also have several of the Richard Scarry books where were my absolute favourites.

August Mom
05-14-2003, 09:20 AM
My mom's keeping most of my old toys and books at her house for when we visit. We have lots of Golden Books, Richard Scarry books and Dr. Seuss books there. She did bring over one of my old toys that I apparently loved, called a Crawlagator. It's this plastic thing on 3 wheels. You put the baby on his/her stomach on it and it's supposed to allow the baby to manuever around the room before he/she can crawl. I supposedly loved it. DS didn't like it and didn't use it as intended. But, that's my blast from the past!

C99
05-14-2003, 09:50 AM
I got my dad's circa 1950 set of My Book House books (minus Vol. 1, which my uncle ganked). I actually used them as inspiration for the nursery. I also got the set of Beatrix Potter books, the Paddington children's china set, and the Peter Rabbit children's china set that my dad bought for me in Scotland when I was a baby. My mother also brought up the "going home" outfit she used with me, my first silverware set, my "tooth fairy" pillow and a coat from when my grandmother was a kid. When I left home at 18, I took the personalized Raggedy Ann doll that one of my mom's friends had made for me at birth.

We had a house fire when I was 14, so almost all of the toys and stuffed animals from my childhood had to be trashed then.

brubeck
05-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I have a big set of Little People from the 70s (that are now choking hazards), my dollhouse that my Dad made for me (with the furniture), Barbies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls. My husband has his Lego sets and his electric trains.

And of course boxes and boxes of books. Everything from Dr. Seuss through Laura Ingalls Wilder through Sweet Valley High. :-)

All of this stuff is soooo cool! It is a total blast to look at it all again.

MartiesMom2B
05-14-2003, 04:52 PM
I loved Sweet Valley High. I have no idea where all of those books went. Being the oldest grandchild, I think my mom distributed all of my childhood books to my younger cousins. However my mom does have a huge stash of Disney movies that we've collected. I told her it was her job to look through her books and find them and give them to Little Miss M.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm