PDA

View Full Version : anybody start out bfing with a shield and then switch to formula or pumping bm in a bottle??

cchavez
05-17-2003, 06:34 PM
BFing is not working out that great for me. DS will be 3 wks on tuesday and we are using a nipple shield b/c he won't latch on to my flat nipples....i've even tried pumping the nipples out but he still wont latch on

he is gaining weight well....but bfing is hard enough and then you add a cumbersome shield to deal with.....

i want to keep on trying a bit longer b/c he might learn to latch on....but i don't see myself using the shield for months and months....my husband thinks that i could use the shield for an extensive period of time or we wants me to pump bm into a bottle "( ihave a pis)but this seems like it would be very difficult to do????

i thought he would support any decision i wanted to make about feeding the baby but he said I sold him on bfing and since I am going to be a sahm that is my job.......

believe me he is not that insensitive but he says the only reason i want to give up bfing is b/c it is too hard

please help!!!

brubeck
05-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I had similar issues with my first child. I was BFing and every time there was more and more pain until when she was 5 weeks old I was crying tears and bleeding every time I fed her. I used a nipple shield, saw the lactation consultant, saw the OB, saw the ped, everybody. Finally the LC suggested to me that I spend a week pumping milk for her to give my nipples a chance to heal. Well it was a revelation. The pain was so much less and it took a lot less time to feed her (15 min to pump and 15 min to feed vs. an hour long BFing session) and I decided to stay with it after the week was up. I pumped 7 or 8 times a day until she was 6 months old.

The bad news is that my supply kept constant while her appetite increased, so every meal she would get EBM and then she would have formula for however much else she needed. But she always had more than 50% EBM, and it was more than 75% for the first 5 months.

It was not easy pumping all the time, and cleaning the pump stuff isn't fun either, but after a couple of weeks of pumping she wasn't interested in feeding off the breast anymore so I had no option to go back. I'm still glad I did it, I feel like I did my best to give my daugher as much BM as possible despite our feeding problems.

I have since come to realize that our problems were probably the result of a poor latch on her part (because due to other medical issues I had to supplement her with a bottle starting on Day 2) and breast sensitivity on my part (just couldn't take all that irritation). The good news is that with my son I was able to use breast shells while pregnant to 'toughen' my nipples and he was able to latch on and feed right away and this time my BFing is darn near perfect. I am so glad that a lousy first experience did not mean a lousy second experience.

In terms of your situation, I think you need to do what is best for you. If you want to keep BFing from the breast then do so. If you want to pump them do so. You could try pumping and feeding EBM once or twice a day and see how it goes and what you prefer. You don't have to go all or nothing one way or the other. Your son is old enough now that introducing a bottle once or twice a day shouldn't be a big deal.

In terms of the flat nipple, I recommend the breast shells. The ones I used were the Hobbit Breast Shells by Medela and they also helped pull out the nipple (besides letting the air flow around). I have seen them for sale at BRU.

Good luck! I know it's tough, but just remember that you've already done so much for your baby by BFing this long!

egoldber
05-17-2003, 08:09 PM
I would really urge you to consult a lactation consultant or go to La Leche for some help. If it is a latching issue, an LC may be able to help you right away! Even if you saw one in the hospital, I would recommend seeking out a private LC that will come to your home. Some LCs are better than others. I had to see three before I finally found one that really helped me.

Good luck!

Rachels
05-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Hang in there! We used shields for 6 weeks. It takes time and is frustrating, but I'm SO glad I stuck with it! You need lots of support during this time, though. Is there a BF group or LLL meeting near you? BF does NOT stay so hard. With time and a good LC / support system, it gets so easy. You can do it, and you'll be so glad you did.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
05-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Christine,

I've been using a nipple shield for 7.5 months (YES!!) and have managed to bf'd Colin exclusively. You are at one of the toughest points in bf'ing - can you try to stick with it for another 3 weeks or so? I remember it getting easier after that 6 week growth spurt, although bf'ing wasn't super easy until Colin was 2-2.5 months old.

I suspect that you are doing much better than you let on. If your baby is nursing and thriving (even with a nipple shield) then bf'ing is going GREAT for you! But if you aren't happy bf'ing him (and the nipple shield should not be making you unhappy - it isn't a sign of failure), then you need to consider other options (pumping is a tough option, I've done some of that) because mommy needs to be happy too. But I guarantee you that it will only get easier...

And if you need to, definitely see a LC!

Marisa6826
05-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Christine-

I SO know your pain! I tried b/fing Sophie for the first two weeks with shields (flat nipples, here too!) while also supplementing with formula because she just simply couldn't latch on well.

Finally I started pumping milk (rented a hospital quality pump) and was only getting about 2oz. MAX.

I went on Reglan and it helped a little, but because I felt so guilty, I continued to pump till she was 12w old.

She wasn't getting a lot of b/m, but at least it was something.

It all came down to how *I* felt about it. Mentally and intellectually I knew she was thriving on the formula but emotionally... I was just so hellbent on giving her b/m that it took me a long time and many tears to get over the fact that it just wasn't working out the way I had planned.

As my inlaws say, we plan and God laughs!

Best of luck

hugs

-m

Caitlins Mommy
05-18-2003, 09:29 AM
I used nipple shields for 9 mounths.My dd was what they called a lazy nurser and would not latch on to save her life.Right now your going through the hard part of nursing and it does get easier,I promise.If he is thriving and gaining weight and you still want to bf I wouldn't give him a bottle.It would just confuse him I think.I agree with what everyone has said and get a really good lactation consultant,and see about joining a breastfeeding group.I would contact your hopsital where you gave birth or LLL.They can refer you to suport groups in your area and a LC.

If it comes right down to where you have to give a bottle and want to pump,I would rent one from a hospital or breastfeeding supply store.I rented one and boy was it ever handy and worked like a dream.It did take some practice to get alot of milk at first,but it was smooth sailing after I got the hang of using the pump.

If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]

Good luck to you and your baby

Jennifer mommy to Caitlin Hope 9/28/96
Trying to give Caitlin a brother or sister

peanut4us
05-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Hang in there. I had a really hard time too... she would only eat with breast shield until about 5 weeks... which was a blessing on my poor nipples, but very inconvenient when trying to feed her in public. I went to the lactation counseling program 3 times to try to get her latching onto me, properly. The 3rd person I saw worked. Shehas been been nursing straight from me for almost 3 weeks, with very few problems.

So I would strongly recommend an LC. If the cost seems exhorbitant, call your local hospitals (the bigger the better), and see if they have a lactation program. Ours charged $50. But that was first visit only, and I have access to as many phone calls and personal visits (I do have to drive down there) as I need.

Also, you might want to set a goal for yourself for breastfeeding. I'm the kind of person just can't keep working hard with a far out goal like, 6 months or a year. SO my first goal was 6 weeks. I told myself that and my husband that and my mother that (she wasn't supportive of bfing). That made it possible for me to know I could quit guilt free at 6 weeks, if I just didn't like it, get the hang of it, etc. Well my new goal is 12 weeks and we are almost at 8 weeks now. I'm not worried about after that. Just take it in bite-sized chunks!

Joey
Mother to Sara Anne 3/27/03

Melanie
05-18-2003, 04:37 PM
I had a lot of BFing problems at first for many weeks. I highly recommend finding a good lactation consultant (a good one won't give you nipple shields btw) with experience in the areas you are having problems with.

I promise it will get easier! If you get help and get started down the right road, within 2 weeks it will be so much easier.

Mommy to Jonah

cchavez
05-18-2003, 04:46 PM
I worked with the lc at my hosp. about 3 x's. I was in the hospital for 3 days b/c i had a c/s.....which by the way i am not completely recovered from the c/s so i know that is affecting me too.

I also worked with the lc that sold me my PIS....

They both want me to give the shield some more time b/c my nipples are so flat but I have been given "tips" for weaning him. I am going to give it a few more wks and the the lc that sold me the pis said she would come to my home and help me. She is very good and i trust her so I am going to take her advice for now

I did also call another local hospital that offers lc on an outpatient basis....if they charge a one time fee and then i can have a number of visits based on that fee....i would not mind doing that. I did already talk to someone on their staff but we never set up an appt. b/c i was going on the advice the other lc's had given me.

Thanks for everyones advice/support. I like the idea of setting short term goals....i know i can do this for 6 wks.....probably 12 wks but 6 months???? i don't know

i also don't know about the pumping......but i just need to know that wherever this leads me.....it will be ok.....i know i will feel guilty if i wind up doing formula but that would not make me a bad mom......b/c i know i am trying my best right now

also, for the person that used the shields for 9 mos....were you ever able to leave the house???? i will try to email you to get more info. on your experience

TIA!!!!

jubilee
05-18-2003, 09:17 PM
I don't agree- a good LC will suggest shields if needed. I use nipple shields and have an excellent LC. She doesn't recommend them for just anyone though. I was at the point of discontinueing BF because my son wouldn't latch- he had been sick and had to be finger-fed for a week. When we were able to finally try BF he was so use to the "hardness" of the finger, that he wouldn't feed on my breast. So we had to use shields, now we are successfully BF, which we wouldn't have been able to do without the shield. I certainly am trying to wean from the shields, but at least we have been able to BF, when I thought I'd have to bottlefeed after the problems we had.

Momof3Labs
05-18-2003, 09:24 PM
I second what Julie says!!

The "good" LCs who would not recommend a nipple shield were not able to help Colin latch on. The nipple shield was a last ditch attempt by another LC to get Colin to nurse (after exhausting all the tricks in her book) - it was either that or bottle feed EBM or formula. We honestly don't know why he wouldn't latch - I don't have flat nipples, and he wouldn't latch on right after birth, so it wasn't nipple confusion.

I have exclusively bf'd Colin for 7.5 months now with a nipple shield. We nurse in public, in front of family, wherever, with no problem. It is slightly less convenient than bf'ing without a shield, that's all. All of this has been possible because that LC gave the nipple shield a chance - Colin is fine with it, I am fine with it, so why is it viewed as such a bad thing??

cchavez
05-19-2003, 10:01 AM
lori did u intro the bottle?? WHEN? how did u learn to bf w shield in public? when did u stART DOING THIS....FDING IN PUBLIC?

BTW, JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE W/ ANOTHER LC...SHE SAID TO GIVE THE SHIELD MORE TIME....ABOUT 2 MORE WKS....SHE ENCOURAGED ME THAT BFING HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULL FOR US SO FAR...EVEN THO I HAVE TO USE A TOOL

Momof3Labs
05-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Christine, Colin had one bottle in his first week while he was refusing to latch on (we were primarily finger-feeding and using the SNS that week). But we introduced the bottle "for good" at about 5 weeks. For the most part, he's gotten at least a couple of bottles a week since then, and gets a few on the days that I have to go into the office.

I started NIP (nursing in public) when Colin was about 2 months old, I think. It helped me tremendously to have someone with me - my mom or DH - and they would kinda stand in front of me while I got him situated and then sit down when he was happily nursing. As I got more confident, I didn't need them to block the way - I would just put Colin's head in the way, put on the shield, and latch him on. Another idea is to learn to put it on by feel, so you don't have to look at what you are doing. I'm usually pretty modest, but find that if I can't see anyone looking at me, then I can pretend that no one is looking!

Yes, bf'ing has been successful for you! Think about it - you are still providing your baby that wonderful breastmilk, you have the ready-to-serve convenience and physical closeness of nursing, and your baby is thriving on your milk. That is success, and a nipple shield won't take that away from you!

I hope that you are feeling better about this now!

cchavez
05-19-2003, 03:20 PM
THANKS ILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED

C99
05-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Christine,

Definitely set goals for yourself. When I was PG, I said that I was going to BF for a year. Then Nate came 5 weeks early, spent a week in the NICU and we had lots and lots of problems in establishing BFing. We used nipple shields for about 8 weeks -- and I left the house regularly starting when Nate was 2-weeks-old (and he ate every 2 hours) so it can be done! Of course, I am the mom who has no "modesty" whatsoever when it comes to BFing -- I'll whip it out whenever/wherever he's hungry although my breast is never exposed. ;)

I remember telling myself "I'll give it another week until he's 4 weeks old," and then experiencing another BFing challenge and telling myself, "I'll give it another week," or "I'll breastfeed him until he's 3-months-old." Right now, although I am proud of us for having overcome all those challenges and happy with the way BFing is going, I'm looking forward to the day he starts solids to take a bit of the pressure off.

HTH

Melanie
05-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Sorry, just my experience. I had flat nipples. My midwife (who is not an LC) hands me nipple shields. That's it. No instructions as to the fact that you shouldn't use them forever or anything. Those things were such a PITA!

Anyway, I went to an LC 3 painful/long weeks later. They did not have me use them and couldn't believe someone did.

I suppose it depends on your particular difficulties with BFing.

Don't you think BFing should be a HECK of a lot easier since it's what's natural? Sheesh!

Anyway, mama, stick with it, get help, and I promise it gets easier. The goal-setting is very helpful. I told myself "2 more weeks...then...6 weeks...just get to 6 weeks..." Pretty quickly (after getting help) the counting stopped and we've had a wonderful nursing relationship ever since.

Rest well...