PDA

View Full Version : ARE FORMULA FED BABIES...EASIER..CALMER/SLEEP LONGER

cchavez
05-20-2003, 08:23 AM
JUST WONDERING....SLEEP DEPRIVED MOM OF A 3 WK OLD

MartiesMom2B
05-20-2003, 08:37 AM
According to the Weissbluth book hunger has nothing to do with sleep cycles. However formula is harder to digest than b.milk so your baby will wake up to feed more often. Are you feeding your baby around the clock now? It may be a growth spurt. I have heard of some nursing moms giving a few oz. of formula at bed time.

Good luck. HTH!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

Rachels
05-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Christine, I know you're having a really hard time right now, and it sounds like you're stocking up on reasons to stop breastfeeding. I do think, though, that if you get the help and support of a good LC or a group like LLL, you'll find that things improve in a hurry. You're doind such a good thing for your baby by nursing. I PROMISE it will get easier, and soon. If you need some support, email me and I will try to help you. You can do it! I know you're exhausted and frustrated. I've been there. This too shall pass.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Just from personal experience and observation, I would say no. I know several babies that were almost exclusively formula fed, several that were exclusively breastfed and many that were breastfed and supplemented to various degrees. In almost all cases, I would say that the overriding factor seems to be the baby's underlying personality. Some babies are just "easier" babies than others. That being said, I don't know of ANY babies that slept through the night before about 8 weeks. That incredible sleep deprivation for the first few weeks is a rite of parenthood, I'm afraid.

Formula fed babies can sometimes go longer between feedings because the formula takes a bit longer to digest. But formula fed babies can also sometimes have problems with the formula, so that is no guarantee.

Good luck! And it WILL get better in a few weeks!

LisaS
05-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Not necessarily. Some formula babies do sleep a little longer b/c formula can take up to 4 hrs to digest whereas b-milk takes up to 3 hours. At night, that extra hour can help, and I know plenty of moms who successfully bfed but gave 1 bottle of formula at night before the long stretch and it seemed to help their babys sleep without hurting their long term nursing (some had to pump at the same time the bottle was being given though for the first few days/weeks). If you want to introduce a bottle (either ebm or formula), its usually a good idea to try it now - for just once a day - if you wait too long, some babies are reluctant to drink from a bottle and then you won't have it as an easy option if you need to.

I will say, that most of the "easy, calm, good sleeping" babies are those whose moms establish some type of routine for eating and sleeping early on. I'm not saying you should have a strict schedule, but some type of routine - establish "morning", "bedtime" and regular "naptimes" - for a 3 week old, that would be after 2 hours of being awake.

Every infant I know who was on a pretty regular eating (every 3 hrs or so...with exceptions during growth spurts, etc), and regular napping schedule was pretty content. I'm not saying that infants who aren't on a routine can't be content - I'm sure that many are, but using a routine can help. And of course, things don't always go according to plan, so try to stick to it but don't stress if its not working out. A great book that helped me a lot in the first few weeks was "The Contented Little Baby Book" by Gina Ford. Lots of good suggestions and very pro-breastfeeding. Her routines can come off a bit draconian, but you have to remember to take them with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

ddmarsh
05-20-2003, 09:03 AM
As those above have said, from what I have read there is no correlation between form of feeding and sleep, etc. I can tell you my DD is breastfed and has been the easiest child I've had as far as nighttime goes, she slept for 4-5 hour stretches from a few weeks of age and in general has been very "easy." I would strongly encourage you to pump or use a bottle of formula, whichever you prefer, so that DH can give it just to give you a break at night. I would have DH do that and I would go somewhere else to sleep during that period.

Hang in there, it really does get better. I never thought I would be able to continue to nurse for long this time b/c of the demands of life with my other children but I have just kept telling myself "just one more week" and DD is almost 4 months.

Good luck :)

cchavez
05-20-2003, 10:00 AM
THANKS I AM NOT GIVING UP YET.....JUST WONDERING DH JUST STARTED A NEW JOB SO HIM FEEDING AT NITE IS NOT AN OPTION

newbelly2002
05-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Did you ever see the movie the "Princess Bride"? At one point the main character, Wesley, is being held captive on a pirate ship. Each night, the captain locks him into his room and says: "Good night, Wesley. Good work. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." This continues for many many years.

That's how BF has been for us. Ever since Dante turned 6 months, I keep saying: "guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow." He's now almost 10 and we're still going.

It does get easier, Christine! The hard part lasts about 3 months. Then your babe learns you, and you learn your babe. My husband offered me a "day of fun" if I made it to 6 months of BF. I'm not ashamed to admit that on the rougher days (and nights!), the concreteness of the reward (read: bribe) really helped. Hang in there!

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

chrissyhowie
05-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Christine,

Just a thought -- have you tried the side-lying position for nursing? While it works well at night, it also works just fine during the day to try to get a nap in. Here's a link for a recent discussion about it:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/875.html

Hang in there! I think the first four weeks of DD's life were the most challenging. I felt like a human cow/pacifier! Your baby's social smile is coming soon, and believe me everything they say about it melting your heart is absolutely true! Somehow everything got easier after that!

HTH,

nathansmom
05-20-2003, 11:14 AM
You really don't want me to answer this do you?

If I had it to do over again I would have breastfed my baby. Take Rachel up on her offer and talk to her. I only wish I'd taken her phone number to the hospital with me.

blnony
05-20-2003, 11:38 AM
I think this is just a myth. DD started formula at about 3 1/2 months; and it didn't change her sleeping patterns, her fussiness, spiting up, etc. I think you are just really overwhelmed right now, but as time goes on, it all gets better. Really....I'm not saying that....:) Just hang in there.

twins r fun
05-20-2003, 11:54 AM
I think it is much more a personality thing and also an issue of thier developing digestive systems (some babies may feel more discomfort than others). My boys were fed the exact same thing (expressed breast milk and some formula) and early on one was content and one was high strung. Then they both became high need and then they both became calm and then they flipflopped who was high need and who was content-so maybe it is more about mood than true personality! And I also did not notice that their was any difference at all in how long they would sleep based on whether they had a bottle of EBM or formula. All that said, I do have an unscientific theory that bottle fed babies (EBM or formula) may sleep longer because they have an easier time sucking and get more in before they get too tired and fall asleep. That's just a theory that makes sense to me but is based on no evidence or even experience since my boys never actually breastfed!

Good luck! You WILL survive this age!

megsmom
05-20-2003, 01:07 PM
DD was breastfed for about 6 weeks and formula fed the rest. I wouldn't say it made a difference in her fussiness or sleep. She just got older and that helped both the sleep and the fussing. Most babies are growth spurting at 2-3 weeks so I don't think it makes much of a difference what you feed them, they'll still be waking you up often to feed. I can tell you I would have much preferred to have kept nursing but chose to wean to formula due to medical and emotional problems that I was having. At three weeks I remember being very, very stressed about nursing and a good LC helped keep me going for a few more weeks. This is really a hard time to evaluate the nursing process because more most moms and babies still really haven't got it together at this point.

I would say I would have loved the convenience of nursing in the night vs. dealing with bottles. It was less stuff to haul around in the diaper bag as well. Just try to get through each day.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/03

mharling
05-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Christine -
After the great suggestions I received in the thread Chrissy linked above, we began nursing using the side-lying position. It has been WONDERFUL!!! I strongly encourage you to check it out as it should make a big difference in your nights.

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

stella
05-20-2003, 03:11 PM
I am so sorry that it's such a hard time for you.

With both of my babies (now 6 mos and 23 mos), 3 weeks was a BIG hurdle. In fact, the best book I ever read, SO THAT'S WHAT THEY"RE FOR - BREASTFEEDING BASICS states very specifically that at three weeks you are just about to turn a corner into an easier time.

And with both babies I repeated it like a mantra. And after about 4 weeks it became so much more natural and easier.

And I must concur with the nursing lying-down. It really helps a lot because you sleep and the baby will sleep. In fact, you will sleep while nursing and sometimes that baby nurse in his or her sleep as well. And the result is that you are not quite so desperate the next day. Yes, it leads to co-sleeping, but it really is just the sweetest thing to be snuggled in at night with your little baby and know that everyone is warm and full and happy.

And co-sleeping can be undone. I've undone it with two. Just recently with the 6 month old.

YOU CAN DO IT. JUST HANG IN THERE.

And my formula-fed friends' babies were just as difficult at this age. In fact, they all stopped nursing because they thought the babies cried from hunger because they weren't making enough milk. So they started formula and the babies weren't any happier. In my opinion and experience (and maybe it's just my babies) the babies who breast-fed on demand and who were nursed when fussy have been happier and easier.

And yes, there are times when you feel like a human pacifier. But it all gets more manageable. It's just so hard to have any perspective when you are exhausted. But it gets better.

Good Luck to You!!

zen_bliss
05-20-2003, 03:56 PM
i second SO THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR as a great book. many peds are woefully undertrained on BFing. definitely invest in a visit with an LC. the side lying position has been a great discovery for this sleepy mommie... just clear a 'bedding-free' zone.

Rachels
05-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Norah. That's a sweet thing to say. I wish I could have been of help to you earlier!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

cchavez
05-20-2003, 04:58 PM
THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT....I DONT KNOW HOW THE SIDELYING POSITION WOULD WORK WITH NIPPLE SHIELDS??? I DEFINATELY HAVE A GOAL OF BFING FOR AT LEAST 6 WKS.....BUT DS JUST HAD A REALLY WATERY STOOL THE PED SAID TO INTRODUCE A BOTTLE W/ PEDIALYTE IF HIS STOOLS CONT TO BE WATERY.....WE HAVEN'T INTRODUCED THE BOTTLE YET...I HOPE IT DOESN'T CREATE FURTHER PROBLEMS PLUS OUR THRUSH HAS NOT CLEARED UP SO...........LET'S HOPE THE REST OF HIS STOOLS ARE NORMAL.

peanut4us
05-20-2003, 06:09 PM
oh... nipple shield for this was awesome! You're going to be on your side leaning back slightle... put your shield on b4 u bring her near... the shield stays on by itself, if you don't mo ve around too much. draw her into your breast kind of wiggling his mouth on... once he starts sucking, prop a pillow up behind him to keep him in place. i spent her 3 week growth spurt asleep while she ate!... (am typing lefty while feeding, sorry).

I was scared to try it, but it took about 5 minutes the first time to get her on.. then after that, relatively no problems.

I won't do side-lying now... without the shield. You never know when she's going to chomp hard! Not that it's bad, she just ened supervision.

Please email me if you have any more questions. I can walk you thru it in more detail.

Joey ([email protected])
Mother to Sara Anne 3/27/03

btw everyone said when dd was about weeks old that in about a month it wouls all just be a bad dream... and it is;)
but know one here is going to think less of you if you switch to bottle!

Momof3Labs
05-20-2003, 08:35 PM
It is SOOOO much easier to nurse with a nipple shield when in a sidelying position! I actually have a free hand (or two), unlike when I'm nursing sitting up. First I use a folded receiving blanket to prop up my breast, so it is off of the mattress. Then I lay Colin on his back next to me, use my top hand to position the shield, and use my bottom hand to roll him towards me and he latches himself on. If he is all business (by this age, babies are often distracted while nursing), then I can let go with my top hand and just lay there while he nurses. He sleeps through the night, but when he didn't, we nursed side-lying with the shield, both fell asleep, and when I would wake up, I'd move him back into his crib.

Try it!!!

Edited to add: my exclusively bf'd baby sleeps much better than most of the babies on our Babies Born in October board - both bottle and bf'd babies. It is just his temperament, has nothing to do with how he is fed!

suribear
05-20-2003, 09:10 PM
(((hugs)))

I know the first few weeks are hard but it does get better! At night I feed lying down, pull him over my belly to burp (if needed), then go off to sleep again! No need to even get up :) I usually sleep through feeds! No bottles to warm up.. We do this through the early morning, too, and it is a lifesaver.

And like everyone else, I believe it doesn't make a difference. both my kids have been easy going and I "nursed on cue" both times, but I think it's probably their temperament.

Kris

bnme
05-21-2003, 06:05 AM
I bf DS for about 8 weeks. I supplemented with formula from week 1 though.

My method for getting some sleep was this:

-I would nurse the baby at 8pm and then go to bed shortly after, or by 9pm

-DH was then in charge and would do the 10pm feeding

-I would then get about a 4-5 stretch until 12 or 1AM! Yea

I am in a similar situation, in that DH was working so I did the night feedings, but this at least allowed me to get an uninterupted stretch. Obviously, you can ony do it if you ar comfortable giving baby a bottle (formula or ebm). If you don't plan on bf for a long period, or want to give an occasional bottle you should probably offer one soon. My DS had no problem with switching back and forth and they say MOST babies don't. My DS was eating every 2-3 hours round the clock until at least 4 weeks so this was a lifesaver.

It does get easier. Oh, And for us his lenght of sleep didn't seem to be different on formula or bm. But the bottle (of whatever) enabled me to get a break. It could be key in enabling you to bf longer. If it weren't for the occasional bottle, I don't know how I would have done it.

HTH a little.
Good luck and hang in.

josephsmom
05-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Norah, I'm just curious...why do you wish you had breastfed? Have you been dissatisfied with bottlefeeding for some reason? I breastfed for 10 months, and was happy with that, and I always like to hear about other people's decisions and experiences.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

egoldber
05-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Not Norah, but here is a link to a previous post: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/817.html

cchavez
05-21-2003, 11:19 AM
thanks everyone i will have to try the sidelying position again also we have not introduced a bottle until we get rid of our thrush don't want to contaminate the bottles then it will take longer to get rid of

thanks everyone that has offered their email...i just haven't had time but your support on this bord is great

stella
05-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the dishwasher take care of contaminated bottles?

Bless your heart - this really is the toughest time.

And although I am a bf advocate, as someone said earlier, do what you have to do, and no one will think less of you if you decide to formula-feed. Just don't do it and expect that it will solve the sleeping problem. It's always hard with a newborn.

luvbeinmama
05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
From PERSONAL experience... NO!

DS was BF for 8 months. DD BF'd for 4 weeks before putting her on soy formula. (DS has a milk intolerance and at 4 weeks, DD got the diaper rash from h***, we figured the rash was from the same source as DS's rashes.) DD is actually a bit more fussy. I think it's partially because we don't have her on as strict a schedule and we don't let her CIO in her room when DS is asleep (no sense in having TWO kids awake when they should be sleeping). Plus her personality is a bit different.

I do miss the BFing sometimes when I'm feeding DD. I really enjoyed it. Both kids had no problems latching from day one. Good luck, and hang in there, it will get better!

HTH!