PDA

View Full Version : Beach/Vacation Necessities for a 10 month old

newbelly2002
05-20-2003, 09:34 AM
So we're finally going on vacation next week! Well deserved since it will follow a 1 week visit with the entire clan of in-laws--but that's another post entirely.

We'll be traveling to Sicily for a week (yayyyy!!!!) and staying a few nights in 3 cities. We'll be hiking, touring, and going to the beach. What kinds of things will we need/want? We have sunscreen, a sunhat, loose, light pants and shirts in both long and short sleeve. We have a Z-street stroller and will be buying a backpack carrier before we leave for our hike up Etna or Stromboli.

What are we missing? What will make this the best vacation ever? :)

TIA!
Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

egoldber
05-20-2003, 10:07 AM
A bucket and a shovel? Seriously though, baby on sandy beach = fun, with very little effort on your part! A few other things you may want are a large beach towel or blanket for a sand-free place to sit (I use a Neat Sheet, but I doubt those are available in Europe). And wet wipes of some sort for easy clean ups at the beach.

If you are going in the water, a swim diaper will make life easier. Either the disposable kind (if they have them there) or the plastic pants kind will do. Regular diapers swell up to gigantic proportions in the water. And I liked having a mesh water sling for when we went in the ocean.

Enjoy your break!!!

newbelly2002
05-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks. We have a disposable swim diaper--and we need to get a few more--thanks for the reminder! Definately buying a pail and shovel.

What about safety devices? Or am I being ridiculous? Also, any thoughts on how to introduce a baby to sand? I brough Dante to the playground a few weeks ago, wanting to play with him in the sandbox. He put his hands on the sand (it wasn't hot) and after a few disgusted looks held his arms up to go. I don't think he liked the feel of it on his hands. Anyone else experience this?

A mesh sling sounds like a great idea but I wouldn't know where to find one at this late date. He also has never been a sling babe despite my repeated efforts. I guess he's more of a Bjorn man :(

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02

ddmarsh
05-20-2003, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure how much room you'll have but I would consider having at least very small amounts of some everyday things so that in a pinch you don't have to run out to search for what you need such as the type of tylenol or like item that you use, bandaids, etc. Also perhaps a small pair of sunglasses - you can pick those up at TRU or BRU I'm pretty sure. I just bought Lily a pink pair :). Also I'm not sure how you purchased your sunscreen but I picked up some that's in a stick, like chapstick, to stick in my car for emergencies - it would even fit into a purse or diaperbag.

Have a great time!

JulieL
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
I suggest you get a spf shirt for your little one. I bought two from (one last summer and one for this summer) www.onestepahead.com. They help keep little babes more protected from the sun than just sunblock alone. Also in the Toddler Bargain book they suggest other websites for sun wear as well as other sun block lotions. It helps for peace of mind that your baby is as protected from the sun as you help them be. You may want to take a pack 'n play, booster seat, clorex wipes (for high chairs at restraunts that look oh so not clean-or just use your own booster seat). Also last summer on One Step Ahead I bought a fan that clips on to the stroller or whatever, and loved it! The fan head was manauverable to hit DS the best way possible - those uses the batteries quickly may want to keep some handy. I am taking DS who is 14months to San Antonio next month and did last year at `4 months. Boy do you ever haul a ton of stuff but these things worked for us. Hope it is the best vacation ever!!!:)

LisaS
05-20-2003, 01:57 PM
I have a few suggestions for things you may want to bring:
Sun cabana/tent (if he will stay in one place happily - my DD would stay in this tent if I, or one of her big cousins, was there with her). http://www.gltc.co.uk/ (called the baby beach cabana)

Pampers Sunnies - sunscreen wipes - by far, the easiest way to apply sunscreen - they're SPF 30 - I've tried all lotions and sprays (DD enjoyed sprays but they still get messy).

I'm not so sure abt sunglasses - they worked for us till DD was 9/10 mo.s old and then she just figured out that pulling them off was far more fun than actually wearing them. She now likes to wear them on top of her head, like I do, when we go indoors from outside. H&M have the cutest and cheapest - I got a few pairs for 1-2euros each, I view them as disposable.

If he likes the water, another great device is a floaty - basically just an inflatable tube - any hotel by a beach or with a pool should have an air pump (or worst case scenario, I've blown it up w/DHs help -its pretty small). We bring it deflated and they inflate it for us.
http://www.the-baby-catalogue.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=BSW321&variation=10%20-%2018%20MT&aitem=2&mitem=2

We got a different one in the states (Right start) w/a sunshade over it that DD loves (her boat), but not sure how easy it will be for you to find in Europe. I couldn't find one in London.

A good sunshade for your stroller if it doesn't already have one - do you have a Pepeny? http://www.pepeny.com - they fold up really small into themselves and take up no room when you're not using them.

Bath toys for use in the water. The Battat bath buddies are great. My DD loves to use these in the bath, at the pool, or just around the house - no idea why but these l ittle rubber squirty critters are loved by all babies who come to our flat.
http://www.babydays-e.com/acatalog/Baby_Days_Baby_Goods_Battat_Toys___Bathtime_Fun_50 .html (they're the ones on the bottom of the page)

For sand, I think it just takes getting used to. One of the playgrounds I go to here has a big sandbox and the first time I put DD in it to play, she was very confused and wasn't sure what to make of it. She kind of just sat there, touching it and staring - she never tried to eat it strangely enough. The next time, she got more adventurous and played w/the bucket and shovel a little. Now (about 10 times later), she loves it - she likes to walk around in it and fill cups with sand and then dump it. Any bucket / pail will work for this. Even plastic cups work great.

I'd also bring more diapers than you think you'll need and extras of his favorite snack foods. I have no idea how easy it would be to find the right size and style of pampers in Sicily or the right kind of animal crackers, etc.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

nigele
05-20-2003, 02:11 PM
>>>What are we missing? What will make this the best vacation ever?

How about leaving the ILs at home?? Hee, hee! We are vacationing with our ILs this summer, too, so I feel for you!

You might want to bring swim diapers and/or swim trunks. I'll be buying Tom a pair of shoes for walking on the beach in case he steps on shells or a bee. You might consider getting Dante sunglasses, if he'll wear them, but be sure the lenses are polycarbonate.)

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the other responses!

newbelly2002
05-21-2003, 03:24 AM
Now THAT I can do.

Thankfully, the Sicily trip is an immediate family members only! We planned this before we knew about the in-law siege. So they leave for Copenhagen on the 26th and we threesome fly to Italy on the 28th.

Keep the suggestions coming--they're great!

Paula

Mama to Dante 8/1/02