PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Travel

skgrabarz
05-21-2003, 06:35 PM
If all goes well - our baby will be due three weeks before my husbands sister gets married - yes planning didn't happen in this case. My husband and I live in DC, and the wedding is in Reno, NV. This means we will need to hop on a plane with a newborn. I have been told that under normal circumstances this shouldn't be an issue - and is even a good time to fly because the baby can nurse/sleep the whole way. I would love to hear if any other mothers have had experience traveling with little ones this young - and if there are any helpful tips. I have read the other travel links and will try and implement what I can - but again first hand experience with this young would be helpful! Thanks in advance from a first time mom-to-be!

Sarah

memedee
05-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Check with your ped re plane travel that early.
My daughters ped would not let her go on a plane with DS till he got his 6 week shots.

jd11365
05-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I'm flying with a 6 week old and my ped said no problem...never mentioned shots. I was told to nurse her on take-off and landing to minimize ear pressure...

I would definitely put a call into your ped though, just to ask her opinion anyway...

Momof3Labs
05-22-2003, 08:48 AM
And keep in mind that you may deliver up to two weeks late, and may end up with a c-section - travel may not be an option for you or the baby at that point. You may want to mention this to your OB, in addition to your ped.

Do you plan to bf'd? Nursing in public is very difficult at the beginning (because you and baby are still learning the ropes) and it is not uncommon to still be struggling with bf'ing at 2-3 weeks of age.

Not to mention the hormone fluctuations. And that increased physical activity can really increase post-partum bleeding.

I know that I would not have been ready for a trip like this physically or emotionally at 1 week or 3 weeks. Don't push yourself - do what you and your baby can handle, and follow your doctor's (OB's and ped's) advice.

skgrabarz
05-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I am trying to have a positive attitude about this - but understand that it is basically out of my control. If I don't feel up to it, I definitely am not going to go - or subject my newborn to that either. I keep saying - under the best case scenario we will be there.

Thanks again-
Sarah

gravymommy3
05-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Sarah,

Worst case scenario - Dh gets to go to NV without you for a day or two (maybe a relative on your side can help you.) I know with my first, all I cared about was nesting with her and I did not care if DH was there or not (not to be ugly but I was focused on the baby.)

Good luck to you!

chrissyhowie
05-22-2003, 10:36 PM
We flew with DD when she was 5 weeks old from Chicago to NYC. If you aren't planning on getting an extra seat for the baby (we didn't), try to book on a flight at an "off" time so that they might have an empty seat. In addition, ask if you can sit in the front row (is the term "bulkhead" right?). You'll have more room, a little more privacy for breast feeding, and no one reclining their seat into your face! If you've introduced a bottle by this time, bring one with you as well. Some people find it more convenient than breast feeding during take off and landing.

Congratulations to your family! So many happy events coming up!

HTH,