PDA

View Full Version : Avatar testing...

chrissyhowie
05-24-2003, 01:16 AM
If this works, then AOL subscribers can use AOL homepages to host their avatar images. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Yipee!! It worked! (I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure this all out!) :P

Rachels
05-24-2003, 06:47 AM
What a beauty!!!!!!!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Andrea S
05-24-2003, 08:32 AM
She is a cutie!! How did you do it aol??

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Hey gorgeous!

And don't be embarrassed. I can barely figure out how to do anything on the computer. :D

mharling
05-24-2003, 10:31 AM
She's beautiful!!

BTW - I'm also from the Chicago area. Are you in the city?

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Mine is also hosted in AOL. One way to do it is to go to keyword FTP and click on My FTP space. Use the buttons there to upload the image file.

The URL will be like this (without the spaces)

http: // members.aol. com / screenname / filename.jpg

Put your screen name in for "screenname" and your file name for "filename".

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

chrissyhowie
05-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks, ladies, for all your kind words about Chloe. I wish I could say she looks like me, but she actually looks just like DH! Like my boss said when he met Chloe, "Tell Howard he's got a very pretty face!" :7 hehehe!

Okay down to business on how to use AOL...
Of course, first you have to choose a picture and resize it to 48X48 pixels after cropping it into a square. I'm taking the liberty to add the link where Rachel (thank you!) started a thread on how to do that:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1349&forum=DCForumID30

After you've logged into AOL, go to the "People" pull down list at the top of the screen and click on "Create a Home Page." On the right hand column, click on "Beginners Start Here." They have tons of templates, but I used the "Our Baby Page." The next page lets you pick colors, borders etc. The important part here is under Step 3, where it lets you add a picture. Click on Browse and find your saved, cropped picture amongst your files. Choose it and then click open (which brings you back to the template page). Scroll to the bottom and click "Save My Page." This should show you the page you created, complete with the picture you added. Right click on the picture -- this will bring up a box giving you options for saving the picture, save as desktop, etc. On the bottom of that list, click "Properties." This pops up a box of info about the picture (size, etc.) including the URL address. Copy this address and then paste it into the avatar space in your BBB user profile. Whew! You're done!

I am sure there is a more direct way, like Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) posted above, but I couldn't figure out how to upload the picture with that method. At least those out there with AOL can avoid the picturetrail surcharge now. I hope that helps someone! Now I just have to work on my Bio....:)

chrissyhowie
05-24-2003, 03:26 PM
I live in Lincoln Park. Are you in the city too?

Andrea S
05-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks Ladies. I am going to work on updating my picture.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mharling
05-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Nope; we're in the western burbs. Dh is a native south-sider and I lived in the city and Oak Park before we moved out here.

I'd love to have a Chicago-area get together some time. What do you think? (Do I remember reading that you work long hours?)

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

atlbaby
05-26-2003, 07:58 PM
She's gorgeous!!! And I hear on the spitting-image of DH. Whenever I see people who know both of us, I always get "she really does look just like DH, doesn't she?" People who've said this to me don't care that they've told me 100 times either! Oh well...I know she's mine!:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

chrissyhowie
05-27-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm only going to be in Chicago another month! It makes me so sad to think about it since the time is going by so quickly! :-( But there are so many Chicago area moms on these boards that I'm sure there would be interest, including me if I'm still around!