PDA

View Full Version : Is it a guy thing?

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Or just a my-DH thing? Without fail, every time DH dresses Gannon, it is inevitably in aqua blue pants and a muted brown printed turtleneck, or something equally disturbing. Now, I will admit that I am way too obsessive about DS's wardrobe, and devote too much time and energy into choosing his outfits (all this when I barely shower on a daily basis!), but c'mon!

Do others find this to be true?

nathansmom
05-24-2003, 09:35 AM
My dh thinks I spend way too much time picking the perfect outfit for Nathan. Now my dh doesn't dress him in disturbing things but he does search through all Nathans clothes looking for the least gay outfit. Don is hung up on Nathan looking gay in outfits. I've been banned from purchasing anymore outfits for Nathan without approval from Don. He thinks the outfit Nathan wore to meet Celeste and Olivia is gay looking.

I think you do a great job dressing Gannon. One day you'll have the chance to get your shower on a daily basis.

JMarie
05-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Nope - it's a guy thing. DH will bring me lunch at least once a week with Aidan, and it never fails - he's always in a long-sleeved onesie and a pair of pants. And the onesie usually isn't even clean! I have filled Aidan's closet with polo-shirt onesies, so really, how hard is it to change that onesie before putting the pants on?!?!? You're not the only wardrobe-obsessed mom here - I have been ordered not to buy any more for the summer! But he still needs some Hawaiian shirts...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

Rachels
05-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Uh. Clothes don't alter a baby's sexual development. Homosexuality is an orientation, not a fashion problem.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
05-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Maybe it's fathers of boys? My DH is pretty good when it comes to fashion sense for Abigail, but he is completely impaired about snaps and buttons. We've had this kid for a while now, and he still gets REALLY stressed out when he has to fasten something.

OT-- Joanne, how do you do bold and italics when you post?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 11:09 AM
LOL, I am always thinking that gay men have the best jeans! :D

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Okay, let me see if I use the right terminology.

For bold, do open bracket, lowercase b, close bracket, followed by the word, then open bracket, frontslash, lowercase b, then close bracket. Doing this with spaces otherwise they won't show up...

[ b ] word [ / b ]

Same for italics, just the letter i. I still haven't figured out bullets.

Edited to say that I don't know why it's coming up as less than/greater than signs. On my screen, what I can see while I am typing this right now, they are definitely brackets. (Their keys are located between p and backslash.)

mamahill
05-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Next to the text box as I'm typing this, you can see under "Message" it says

HTML Ok
Use [] in place of <>
HTML Reference

You can click on the HTML Reference for a whole new world of typographical possibilities. Now, if only there was a spell check...

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 11:38 AM
COOL!

jojo2324
05-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I've just realized that my messages are now going to be absolutely littered with emphasis. :D

brubeck
05-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Whenever I know my husband is going to be dressing my children I leave clothes out for them to wear. He appreciates that he doesn't have to go through the effort to search through the closets and find the clothes.

What's amusing though is that he can't dress Amy right in shirts. As a man, he doesn't understand that sometimes women have buttons that go down the back (and not the front). He never looks at the tag inside for help. Men also do not seem to understand the concept of the 'little bow'. You know, those tiny bows that adorn the front of bras and shirts. The little bow always goes in front. He has no clue what I'm talking about.

As you can see, I'm playing with the html stuff too! :-)

twins r fun
05-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Rick basically has one standard outfit that he puts the boys in. Of course it is not one of my favorites at all, which is why it is always clean for Rick to find and use. And does it surprise you that it is sweatpants? He hasn't picked out a standard summer outfit yet (since it's been cold) so we'll see what he comes up with there. But what drives me crazy is that no matter what he puts on them, he always has the pants up way too high and the socks pulled up as far as they go. He doesn't dress himself that way so I'm not sure why he insists on making our sons look like dorks!

MartiesMom2B
05-24-2003, 12:26 PM
I think gay men dress very well in general and fashion conscious. Hmmm that should've been a clue with my ex-boyfriend.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

MartiesMom2B
05-24-2003, 12:31 PM
I wish Mike would dress Martie. I think he's still scared. Well he can put her nightgowns on and he likes sleveless outfits because that's what trips him up. However he's afraid to put her in outfits since he's fashion-impaired. It's no suprise that I must dress him sometimes too.

Edited to say: I forgot to say thanks Joanne. I thought I was the only one who no longer showered everyday.
(If this works it should be brown)

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

memedee
05-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Why is this not working??Am I stupid

Rachels
05-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Before now I have had to resort only to capital letters.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-24-2003, 01:58 PM
My DH does the SAME thing! When I leave him with Sarah, I have to lay out her clothes because otherwise the outfits he comes up with can be really scary!!!

What is up with some men!!!

Rachels
05-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Definitely not stupid. Funny, though. Um. I need somebody to decode the color thing for me. No one I know believes that I have made friends online. I'm lucky I can get online at all with my puny computer skills.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-24-2003, 02:13 PM
The key to color is to use these commands:

<font color="color">Text</font>

(replacing "color" with your color of choice and the <> with brackets). Just delete all the extraneous other stuff if you don't want to change, like font size, etc.

HTH,

mharling
05-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Your posts make me laugh already, Joanne! I can't imagine what you'll be able to do now. :)
Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

mharling
05-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Dh usually does a pretty good job. We still put ds in gowns overnight and dh is MUCH better than I am at getting them on.

Ds's wardrobe isn't too extensive yet, so I certainly anticipate issues down the road. :)

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

newbelly2002
05-24-2003, 02:48 PM
With you all. Maybe it is a boy thing.

Steve is getting better, but it's a slow process. The last outfit he picked was a green onesie against khaki green overalls. As Joanne said, it was scary. In fact, for Mother's Day, he said that while he was up first (which usually involves dressing the little one), he didn't dress Dante, specifically so that I could. His words were: "I'm sure you had something in mind, and I wasn't going to find it."

Then, a few days ago, I came home to find Dante in an atrocious mix of clothes. Steve's brother was here. Steve said when he came back from the dentist and saw Dante in the clothes his first thought was: "now THAT doesn't look like something Paula picked out. She must be more tired than I thought."

Wayyyyyy too much time on clothes for the baby, while I spent most of today wandering about the city with mustard unknowingly smeared across the rim of my sunglasses.

Paula
Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

nigele
05-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Jennifer,

Have you seen the Hawaiian shirt from Janieandjack.com? I am SO dying to order this for Tom!!

http://www.janieandjack.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1115217&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1085511&bmUID=1053804801813&productSizeSelected=0

flagger
05-24-2003, 02:53 PM
>Same for italics, just the letter i. I still haven't figured
>out bullets.

[li]Bullets like this? :)

Use &#91 li &#93 (without spaces)

If you want brackets to appear in your post you type & #91 for &#91 and & #93 for &#93 (without spaces)

You can find a whole reference page for other characters HERE:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/

nathansmom
05-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Okay I have been told that I misunderstood what was said. My dh did not say "gay looking" I as always was only listening to part of what was said. What was said was "Nathan, why do you let your mom dress you like that. I know gay guys who dress better."

I am going to get an appointment to get my hearing tested. I am also going to sign up for a class on how to listen when being talked to. (not my idea but dh's)

chrissyhowie
05-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Just wanted to add that this is one of the most hilarious threads I have ever read!!

I learn something new every single day reading these boards!

mamahill
05-24-2003, 04:29 PM
It's not that he doesn't match stuff, it's that he picks out the most borrrrring outfit. Up until she sprouted hair, she looked just like a boy in his choice of outfits. Hello! I have drawers and drawers of cute clothes and you manage to find the one ugly onesie and a pair of sweats she outgrew 2 months ago?

Just this morning I told him I thought it was shameful that he, as a designer, who can dress himself very stylishly (I thought he was gay in college;) ) can not transfer such style to his offspring.

Ah well, I suppose I should feel good that he actually doesn't mind handling the cloth dipes. In the meantime, I lay out her outfits, or I'll pick out 3 and let him choose. That way he still feels like he got a choice (hmmm... this is starting to sound like how you deal with a toddler!). hahahaha...

mamahill
05-24-2003, 04:31 PM
It's called selective hearing. I accuse DH of it all the time. He only hears what he wants to hear. But I suppose it goes both ways... ;)

Caitlins Mommy
05-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Well my problem with dh dressing dd was that he didn't want to dress her hardly at all!He would alway put her in a onesie,or just a diaper and t-shirt,even in the middle of the winter!He would always roll his eyes and tell me"Quit tourchering her with thoes uncomfortable looking clothes!"

Of course I always checked that her clothes were 100%cotton ,and had no tags in side that would scratch or rub her.Why he always thought she would be uncomfortable I have no idea.

There is no telling how he would dress a son ,probably just put him in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt,since dh is so hot natured ,he thinks everyone else is hot too.

Why can dhs understand our obbsession about our babies outfits?

Jennifer mommy to Caitlin Hope 9/28/96
Trying to give Caitlin a brother or sister

AngelaS
05-24-2003, 08:19 PM
My dh is HORRID when it comes to dressing my children. Fortunately my 5 yo can fend for herself if I don't dress her in the morning....

For the baby tho...he's argued over which way a church dress goes. I made him unbutton her to prove that the tag was in the front and that the buttons truly did go in the back!

He's snapped sleepers in such a way that one leg is several inches shorter than the other.

He will pick out the one outfit tossed in the corner of the closet floor that's too small, 'cause it's the one he put on the last time he dressed baby (two months ago??) and knows that he knows how it goes on.

Oh and the best?? I almost forgot this... When dd2 was born, dd1 came to the hospital BOTH days wearing the SAME outfit with dirt spots on it by day two! He claimed that he couldn't find another short sleeved outfit in her closet and that ALL the clothes in the drawer had TAGS on them still. How sad is that??? Thank God I'd picked out her church clothes before I went to the hospital....

memedee
05-24-2003, 09:00 PM
oops didnt work

C99
05-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Yeah, but it's not a commentary on their sexuality, so much as a blanket statement of their dislike of baby-boy clothing options (or mothers' fussing over clothing options). My husband says similar things when I dress Nate in certain colors/styles.

mama2be
05-25-2003, 12:27 PM
OK you show offs now I need DH to come up and show me how to do all of the stuff that you guys are doing!!!! All I can do is a smiley face!!!

JOanne I am actually in the opposite situation you are in...which isn't really any better of a situation to be in. My Steve is such a clothes horse and so pciky with clothes he watches me like a hawk in what I put Tristan in. HE won't even let me buy him oxford cloth shirts that don't have button down collars :)...He freaked with the bunny shoes on him :)...but he let me get my kicks!!!! I used to think I loved clothes but Steve really does, he's a mess!!!

atlbaby
05-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Helen,
My DH can't seem to get the shirt thing down pat either! He doesn't ever look for a tag--she'll sometimes come out with a back buttoned shirt on front with the tag right out in her face!

I too leave clothing out for him when he will be dressing Arielle, because there have been way too many times when he'll like to get creative with her clothing. It's rumored that he once (as a teen) came downstairs in a pair of plaid shorts and a striped polo shirt, so I've been busy retraining.:) But he feels stymied when I lay out just one outfit, so I always put out two so he feels like he has a say. Of course if he mixes them up...

How'd my italics go?:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

JMarie
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
OMG - that whole outfit is great! I think DH would kill me if I started getting into J&J clothes - they're a little too pricy for as much as I shop for the little guy, but SO cute! I actually just bought Aidan two Hawaiian shirts at Old Navy and he wore the surf-board one to my best friend's graduation party last night. Everyone just loved it! I'm actually pretty happy with the boy's clothing selection for summer - I was getting worried from some of the posts that he'd be living in Carter's onesies all season...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

Shirale
05-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Hee hee, I am now recalling one occasion wheer I had Amira dressed in a purple and pink striped turtleneck with matching striped tights and had to run out and do something in the middle of getting her dressed, so I told DH to put on her purple jumper and when I came back I found her running around in the striped shirt and tights (brightly colored) with a pale lavender and white PLAID jumper. Yeah. I asked him if he thought that it looked good and he said, well I thought it looked a little funny (A LITTLE?????) but it was what you asked me to do....I guess I should have specified WHICH purple jumper, hee hee!!!!!
So it definitly is a guy thing, at least my guy!

atlbaby
05-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Shira, our guys must have learned their sense of fashion from the same place! DH is also so literal about dressing Arielle. If I haven't laid out the clothes for him, I have to be very specific about WHICH shirt/pants, WHERE they are, etc--or else I'll wind up with a very uncoordinated little girl!:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

brubeck
05-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Great italics!

;-)

gour0
05-25-2003, 11:30 PM
wow! this is too complex for my new mommy brain!

friedmana1
05-29-2003, 04:37 AM
neve - I know exactly what you mean...I knew my husband was very particular about HIS clothes when I married him, and he likes ME to wear certain outfits when we got out to meet HIS friends...But the other day, he truly cracked me up, when he said that an outfit my SEVEN month old, Leah, was wearing made her look FAT! I almost slugged him. She's between the 25-50 percentile for weight, so clearly my little delicious one is NOT fat. LOL!

Aimee

mama2be
05-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Oh girl friend I can relate...get this New Years day Steve was a couch potato all day watching MTV videos with Christina Aquillair and all...

Well that afternoon he picks up a little outfit and says "honey you should wear this...like Christina Aquillair"...well I was 8 months prego and was 35 a month from 36 and can assure everyone this body ain't no christina aquillair body...maybe three of hers...

I almost drove straight to the attorney to draft up papers :)...

parkersmama
05-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Well, we all knew when we married them that treating them like toddlers was the way to go!! LOL! But, I do know what you mean...my dh can't figure out how to snap, button, or choose the kids clothes. He even messes up outfits for our boys who aren't even wearing baby clothes anymore! Fashion impaired is what I think. ;-)

BTW, totally loving the newfound italics, bolds, colors, etc!! What FUN!!

Andrea S
05-29-2003, 09:34 PM
This thread is too funny. This is the first time I have had time to read it and all the dh stories mixed with everyone's new found creativity is cracking me up.

Here is what my dh does: Puts outfits on backwards and forget to snap the onsie before putting on the pants so poor Andrew's onsie is swinging in the wind. Then he is to lazy to fix it. I always have to put an outfit out for him. This past weekend he wanted to take Andrew to the park in his pajamas. No hop for him.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02