PDA

View Full Version : mylicon drops.....when did you start using them? DS will be 4 wks

cchavez
05-25-2003, 12:59 PM
on Tuesday.....he is gassy and was spitting up quite often...his ped told us ot elevate his head more when he eats and hold him up 10 to 15 min. after each feed. we have been doing this for 1.5 days and i notice less spit up......i can't really tell if his gas has lessen.....how bad did you let the gas get before you used the drops...how often do u use them? the ped said it would take a few days b4 we notice a difference...thanks for any advice

Rachels
05-25-2003, 01:07 PM
I used them by that age. They're safe. They're not absorbed by the body, so you can use them as often as every 2 hours (although I only did that once). Did I miss a reflux diagnosis here? That's what it sounds like, for sure. FWIW, I also found the Boiron Cocyntal really helpful with gas. And most helpful of all, for reflux and gas, was identifying and eliminating from my diet all the irritating foods. It was really hard at first, but made a HUGE difference very immediately, so it was well worth it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

schums
05-25-2003, 05:27 PM
We used Mylicon almost from birth. We knew when to use it - DS would scream like a banchee after sucking down a huge amount of formula. The Mylicon would make him better almost immediately (judging by the sudden ceasing of screaming). We stopped having to use it almost all the time by the time he was about 2 months or so. . . I guess he realized we weren't taking the bottle away, so he didn't have to suck it dry ASAP!

BTW, get the generic drops -- they are the exact same thing, only 1/3 the price. Mylicon is VERY expensive, even with coupons.

Sarah

cchavez
05-25-2003, 07:33 PM
The ped did not diagnose reflux but said since he has been spitting up so much we should take steps to prevent reflux and so far he is spitting up less. We are making sure his head is elevated above the rest of his body during feeds,holding him upright for about 10 minutes after feeds. He also said we could use a wedge when he is sleeping but then we can't use the motion sensor on his alarm.

C99
05-25-2003, 08:24 PM
My ped recommended Mylicon drops almost from the get-go and I can't really figure out why. Nate isn't any better or worse after taking them. Do they do anything?

cchavez
05-26-2003, 04:17 PM
bump...anyone?

schums
05-27-2003, 12:16 PM
They actually reduce the amount of gas bubbles in the stomach (shake a bottle of formula to see what happens in a baby's tummy). We call them "magic drops" around here since they calmed my DS almost instantly. If the problem isn't gas, then the drops probably won't do anything.

If you want to see the drops "work", put some dish soap and water in a glass or your sink and add a few drops of Mylicon. The bubbles disappear almost instantly. OK -- it seems like a bigger thing when you're totally sleep deprived!

Sarah

cchavez
05-27-2003, 02:33 PM
what if the baby is being bf?

stillplayswithbarbies
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Shake your breast perhaps? :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03