PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the Immediate Care Center...

gravymommy3
05-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Hayden had her 18 month checkup Friday and received her DTaP vax. Well, yesterday, I noticed her leg was red and splotchy and hot to the touch. Great!! I called the ped's office, and of course, the one on call is the founder of the practice and he is just prickly. He was not concerned at all. So today, with the rash spreading, I just decided to take her in. Apparently all of Atlanta had the same idea. We waited 3.5 hours to be seen. The doc said it was just a local reaction to the vax and to give her motrin (oh joy!) and warm compresses (an even bigger joy). It does not seem to bother her but it is freaking me out. At least she is in a good mood.

mama2be
05-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Amy so glad to hear that all is well...yikes!!!! You did the right thing I am certain!!!

gravymommy3
05-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I am sure that the insurance company won't give me a hard time on this. You just never know how bad a reaction to anything a child will have, so I would rather have the doctors say, "Yeah, you just wasted my time" rather than "If you had only brought her in..." kwim?

mama2be
05-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Stress "Allergic Reaction" to insurance and there is no way to deny it...infact usually just the mention of "allergic reaction" buys you a ticket out of the waiting room to the back in seconds...they never know if your throat will swell up.

I'd call them and tell them she had one so you have covered your bases...I swear insurance companies make you jump thru hoops!!! It's so not fair!!!

gravymommy3
05-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Well, since Grayson went into anaphlayxis in the ER once, and Hayden seems to be following in her footsteps, I don't think they will squak. What slays me is our old insurance would provide us with Epipens at no cost and the new ins. charges us $20 per pen. I guess if they can kill off the dependents their costs go down!

atlbaby
05-25-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm glad Hayden is alright! Better to waste an ER doc's time then to worry at home--that's what they're there for, and they can't go home early anyhow (but it sounds like it was hopping today!). I wonder how come the shot was given in the leg as opposed to the arm? Does it vary state-to-state?

I hear you on the price of Epipens. I need them for allergies and with our old insurance they were free, but now they're $30 a pop! If I don't use them (a good thing!) then they expire and I feel I've wasted $$...Annoying.

How was her visit otherwise (to the ped that is!:) )

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

AngelaS
05-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Yikes! My dd had her 1 year shots on the 14th and on the 22nd woke up with a BIG red spot on her thigh near where her shot was. I was told to give her Benadryl.

Get well soon Hayden!

Rachels
05-25-2003, 07:14 PM
If you have a health food store near you that sells homeopathics, pick up some Thuja. It's good for vaccine reactions.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
05-25-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm so glad Hayden is okay! What a hassle to have had to wait 3.5 hours - that just makes me so annoyed!

gravymommy3
05-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Rachel - her visit other than the shot was fine. She is a whopping 24.5 lbs and 33 inches (50% and 90% resp.) I hear you on the Epipen - I have never had to use one (Thank God!) but I hate to throw them out. I go a little past the expiration date (I just make sure that the liquid is still clear) before I replace them and I drive the pharmacist nuts insisting on the longest exp. date on the ones I get filled. Now that Hayden and Grayson both need them (and I have to have some for Grayson's school in Aug.) I could go broke getting these suckers!

Thanks to everyone else for the advice and well wishes. She is feeling better. And the wait at the IC center would not have been bad if the older two monkeys were not with me. They were the ones bouncing off the walls...

Nite all!

twins r fun
05-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Caleb had a similar reaction to his DTaP (15 month)-red, hot to touch, and he was SCREAMING. His was within an hour of getting it though and the rash never spread. We called the ped, who had never had it happen before, but said to give him benadryl and motrin. Within 10 minutes of taking the benadryl, he was fine. My ped called the vaccine company and they said that is a common enough reaction and that kids usually get it on the 1st or 4th shot (I think). It's not even considered a moderate or severe reaction-though I think Caleb would disagree!

sweetbasil
05-25-2003, 09:25 PM
What a scary thing. I'm glad she's okay and that you're recovering nicely, too. Hoping the insurance company doesn't give you too hard a time!

Take it easy,

mamahill
05-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Yikes! Scary - glad that she's in a good mood. I've begun to take for granted that she isn't reacting to her shots. I'll make sure I continue to pay attention.

Caitlins Mommy
05-26-2003, 09:22 AM
I'm so glad Hayden is allright.I'm so sorry you had to have a big scare like that! ITA with NEVE ,call the insurance company and stress to them,that she was had a allergic reaction.Usually when they hear that they won't give you any problems.

Jennifer mommy to Caitlin Hope 9/28/96
Trying to give Caitlin a brother or sister.