PDA

View Full Version : gerber breast therapy paks for clogged ducts...well it seems the thrush is

cchavez
05-27-2003, 11:06 AM
getting better but my right breast is sore from clogged ducts....i am using massage and warm (wet) compresses when i get a chance....any better"(faster/easier) methods.......anybody tried the gerber paks for clogged ducts? tia

Rachels
05-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Thrush can add to clogged ducts, from what I know. The best thing I've found for treating and preventing clogged ducts is to take 1200 mg of Lecithin three times a day. You can buy it online at any drugstore kind of place, and most drugstores and supermarkets carry it in the vitamin aisle. I prefer the softgels to the powder. It makes a HUGE difference, and it helps within a day or two if you've already got plugs.

Beyond that, nurse a lot on the affected side and massage the breast while you nurse. You can try a warm compress first to soften things up.

Hope you feel better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
05-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Definitely use the massage-while-nursing approach - that alone has cleared up each of the plugged ducts that I have had. It takes another day or two for the tenderness to go down, but I can usually get rid of a plug in one or two nursings (also, point baby's chin or nose towards the plug while nursing). There is nothing like the sucking of a hungry baby to clear those up!

cinrein
05-27-2003, 10:14 PM
I second the lethicin supplements. After 3 bouts of mastitis I finally started taking them and have been clog-free for a month now. I got mine at Wal-mart in the vitamin/herbal supplements area.

I never tried the Gerber therapy packs. For me a warm shower followed by nursing or pumping the sore breast and gently pushing behind the plug toward the nipple worked well. I don't think massaging help me much. Also, keep drinking your water! Good luck--they are a bear.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

mcmorfit
05-28-2003, 06:12 AM
Christine,

I've been using the lethicin supplements for about 2 weeks and I've noticed that my breasts have been a lot less lumpy, so please try them. I did use the Gerber packs when my milk first came in and they helped with the engorgement, but have not used them for cloggage issues. My LC also recommended the shower and if you don't have time to shower, getting a large tupperware container, fill it with hot water and place your breast in.

Hang in there!