PDA

View Full Version : When did you increase solid food feeding?

dogmom
05-27-2003, 11:09 AM
I was thinking I was going to wait until my DS was 6 months to start solids, but I wound up doing it much earlier. He was reaching for our food, mimicing my mouth movements, and grabbed my glass at one point and shoved it in his mouth. On top of that he was feeding every 3 hours for more than three weeks and it got to the point that I was only getting 1/2 oz out when I pumped between feedings and my precious stored milk supply was dwindling. (I use it on weekends so I can skip a feeding and get some sleep, my DH gives a bottle.) So, he's doing great with solids now, it's been two weeks. He's taken cereal and mashed sweet potatoes. He eats about a quarter of a cup. I know that's a lot, but he makes the "hey, I'm not done" screech like he does when I switch him between breasts if I try to give him less solids. I'm only feeding him once a day, and I'm not having an urge to increase it. I'm now able to pump on a more regular basis after his breakfast and it seems to satisfy him. When did you increase the frequency of feedings? I looked at some books and they had these complicated feeding schedules (on week 3 introduce.....) that I just don't want to get into. I love BF, so I don't really want to cut back on that. I feel like the solids supplement more than anything else right now.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/03

emilyf
05-27-2003, 12:18 PM
I would continue as you are- I started giving one meal of solids-fruit or veg w/oatmeal at about 4 1/2 mos in the middle of the day. I have just now (6 mos) started adding a 2nd meal in the evenings, because he woke up during the night for the 1st time in ages. I haven't been very consistent with it though. Today he had yogurt for the 1st time and loved it! Charlie eats a lot too, I never make enough and have to scramble to get more food out while he shrieks.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

KimberleyDawn
05-27-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi,
Sorry to put another question on your post but I was curious as to when you gave cereal for the 1st time.
Kim