PDA

View Full Version : When will your baby know its own name?

MartiesMom2B
05-27-2003, 06:58 PM
It's great to hear about everyone's developments with their babies. Today I was calling out to Martie. Of course she has no idea what I'm saying (I picture the Farside cartoon with what dogs and cats really hear). So when does your child recognize their name when you say it? Just curious.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

brubeck
05-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Amy recognized her own name (that I was talking to her and instructing her to do stuff) at about 12 months. She didn't really start using her own name until almost 24 months. Now at 30 months she still sometimes refers to herself in the third person, "Amy wants a cup of milk.".

Of course if you ask her, "What is your name?" she'll just give you a blank look. :-)

egoldber
05-27-2003, 07:16 PM
At our 6 month appointment, my ped said that by 7-8 months, most babies usually start to respond to their name.

HTH,

August Mom
05-27-2003, 10:23 PM
For me, it's hard to tell. I think that DS recognizes his name at 9 months. However, he only turns toward me when I say his name part of the time. He has selective hearing already just like his daddy. LOL

nigele
05-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Tough question! Tom is now nearly 11 months and I am pretty sure he has known for a few months but I cannot pinpoint it exactly. Maybe 6 or 7 months of age?