PDA

View Full Version : bed time

julieann
05-29-2003, 08:31 PM
I read alot of your posts and many of you talk about bed time.. I am wondering, My son is 5 weeks old and goes for 3-4 hour streches durring the day and night, which feeding is bed time (tonight he ate at 6:45 and he will be due to eat at about 9:45), and how can I establish a routine if he eats at different times every day! We are bottle feeding... Also, when do they start to stay awake more during the day and is there anything I should be doing as he gets older to facilitate his staying up during the day! He doesn't have day/night mixed up so we are ok on that!!

StaceyKim
05-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi,
I am new at this too but you might want to try to stimulate him more during the day (i.e. play with him, talk to him, put him on the gymini mat, etc.) and at bedtime keep it quieter. My DS seems to be up quite a bit during the day. I think it is pretty early to start a regular routine. When they get bigger and older (approx. 3 months) you can establish a better routine with scheduled naps and bedtime. I try to spread the feeding out by about 4 hours and I am going to feed him as late as possible so he sleeps longer in the middle of the night. As he sleeps longer I will move his last feeding earlier. I think he will sleep through the night when he is ready, I guess.
Good luck and keep me posted on the progress!

chrissyhowie
05-29-2003, 10:23 PM
We have the same issue with DD. Since my schedule is kind of crazy combined with the fact that DD ate at all different times, we never really got a schedule of "bedtime" down. The one thing I can suggest is to make the environment a little less noisy and bright (we make the lights dimmer and are conscious to turn the tv or music volume down) at around 7-8PM, even if your son is awake. This seemed to help us at least make a pattern of regularity since we couldn't make our behaviors fit the clock.

Since he's got the night/day thing separated already, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he does begin to have a problem, keeping him upright as much as possible around 5pm, even if he dozes is what I have read can help.

HTH,