PDA

View Full Version : Need more birthday ideas!!!

nigele
05-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Tom's first birthday is rapidly approaching (sniff, sniff) and I have yet to come up with any ideas for his birthday party. I know this issue has been discussed here before but I thought there might be more ideas now! Also, what kind of cake and frosting do you give a little munchkin? I want to make it myself but have no clue what kind of cake is appropriate for a one year old!

TIA!

Rachels
05-31-2003, 08:57 AM
You know, I figured Abigail would consume a relatively small amount of cake and that it wouldn't really matter that it wasn't a healthy, organic thing. I made her a strawberry cake because she loves strawberries. I also thought about carrot cake. But any kind of cake is okay-- you're not going to feed him enormous quantities of it. I just made a buttercream frosting. I made Abby's in the shape of a kitty, which she loved. I also could tell you how to do a bunny cake. Both are really easy. There are all kinds of cute ideas, though.

The melancholy feeling will pass, I promise! But I know it well.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sntm
05-31-2003, 09:30 AM
beth, that cake is gorgeous! your husband is pretty talented.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Annette_C
05-31-2003, 09:37 AM
Lisa,
I'm with you!! Sabrina's First B-day is fast approaching and I'm still confused about what to do!
I'm glad you posted this question so I can get ideas too!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

blnony
05-31-2003, 10:46 AM
Even though Audrey's birthday isn't until August, I think I've become a monster. I've already started planning and going nuts. We are going with a "ladybug" theme, and decorating in red/white/ and a smidge of black.
Is there any type of stuffed animal, toy or video that Thomas likes a lot? Thats how we came up with Audrey's theme. As far as the cake goes, at the parties we've been to, they have a big cake for the adults to eat, and a smaller (dig in) version for the birthday boy/girl to enjoy. I've noticed that as long as it is sugar and gooey, the babes love it, except for one of my friend's little boy...he doesn't like to get dirty at all, and would only poke his index finger in to the cake and kept trying to wipe off anything that was on his hand..:) it was too cute.

22tango
05-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Joanne, maybe you could adapt a fish cake pattern?? Here's one: http://www.birthdayexpress.com/bexpress/planning/rainbowcake.asp

or something like this?? http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1286 (Wow Celeste!! I thought of that too and updated my post...and then I saw you thought of the same thing!!)

It sounds like it'll be a great time!!!

celfsh
05-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Joanne, that announcement is adorable--what a cute idea! I think I remember seeing a fish-themed party on Martha Stewart's show once. Maybe you could adapt it to whales? I'll see if I can find anything...

Edited to add:

Here's what I found. Don't know if it helps or not...

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1436
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1286

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

celfsh
05-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Beth, that cake is amazing! I'm impressed--very professional!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

MartiesMom2B
05-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Joanne:

Cute announcement.

I remember that Carvel had a fudgy the whale ice cream cake. I don't know if there are anymore Carvels though.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

ddmarsh
05-31-2003, 01:28 PM
On Family Fun's site they have a cake finder - here is the link:

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/tool/cakefinder_tlp/cakefinder_tlp.html

I noticed an underwater cake that might work or even fish cupcakes that you could change into whale cupcakes.

They also have great boards, including a party board where there are tons of ideas.

Have fun!

Debbie

jojo2324
05-31-2003, 02:14 PM
AWWWWW YEAH, Fudgy the Whale ROCKS!! :D We will probably bring home Fudgy for the adults, LOL. :D

egoldber
05-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the cake comploments all. :) My enjoyment of it at the time was mildly ruined by MIL's rude comments about the fact that we used canned icing instead if making our own. :(

I think that a fish motif would be great for Ganno! A friend of mine did a fish cake for her son's first birthday (he has an undersea themed nursery and they both scuba dive). I can ask where she got her cake stuff if you liked!

And those announcements were REALLY cute!

COElizabeth
05-31-2003, 04:45 PM
We went to a 1st birthday party last summer with a water theme. The party favors were inexpensive beach balls - very popular! And the cake was decorated with boats made of graham crackers with fruit leather sails and little Teddy Grahams with masks and snorkels painted on their faces with that thin gel frosting. So cute!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nigele
05-31-2003, 05:48 PM
Ah, memories - I remember Fudgy the Whale from Carvel!! I think there are still Carvels in the Northeast. At least I hope so!

mama2be
05-31-2003, 10:46 PM
I imagaine "puppies" as a theme like his little room :)...

jojo2324
05-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Ooh, Neve, that is a good idea!

parkersmama
05-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Joanne,

I have a cute puppy cake pattern that I'd be happy to photocopy and mail to you. It's in a very old book from Baker's coconut that my mom used to make our b'day cakes when I was a kid. My scanner doesn't work with our new computer so I can't email it but I'd be happy to snail-mail it to you...just email me to LMK!

candybomiller
06-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Hey Lisa,

I know what you're going through! The first year just goes so darn fast, doesn't it?

We did a balloon theme for Matt's birthday and had three different cakes in different flavors. One was white, one was yellow and one was rainbow chip. He's really fascinated by balloons, as we found out when we went into a furniture store, so it worked out really well.

The biggest thing I learned and the best piece of advice that I have to pass on to you is this: enjoy the day. Don't stress. Believe it or not, a zillion years from now, it's not going to matter! (Hard to believe, I know!!!!) HAVE FUN with it. I tried to make it perfect and ended up almost having a nervous breakdown. It's a one year old child's birthday party. Wow, our babies are growing up so fast..... but I digress....

Don't stress. Have fun with this. Go wild. Take LOTS of pictures. :)

Candy
Mommy to Matt
5/22/02

nigele
06-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Denise,

Would you be able to mail it to me?? I am considering a puppy theme!

I'll e-mail you my address.

TIA!

nigele
06-01-2003, 08:41 AM
As of today, Tom's theme is a toss-up between puppies and monkeys! (That was also the two themes I had to choose from when deciding on his nursery.)

Any party ideas for either puppies or monkeys?

Edited to add - I have been searching the web this morning and I really think the monkey theme will be fun. I can do Curious George, and make a banana-flavored cake in the shape of a monkey - at least his head anyway, unless Beth wants to come over and help make a full monkey body!) More monkey ideas would be appreciated if anyone has them...

Annette_C
06-01-2003, 09:24 AM
We have MANY Carvels in my area!! And Fudgy the Whale is still alive and kicking!!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

mama2be
06-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Lisa...Here's my two cents which isn't worth much!!!

I think a monkey theme is AWESOME infact I think it so awesome that I'd want to do it when he is older and such a theme can really be fun (maybe even age two)...for instance he'd know who curious george is...you could get party favors of monkeys in a barrel...you could have fun with that but if he is older he too can have fun with that.

A puppy theme could be simple enough to capture in pictures for a first birthday etc...

Does that make any sense...

AND JOanne after seeing Gannon in that adorable whale oxford cloth shirt looking like he is right out of the preppiest Ivy league school I think I'd go with whales for him!!! :)...That too is simple enough for you to capture in a one year old party... :)

Just my thoughts ladies!!!!...fo course you can't go wrong with any of them :)...

chrissyhowie
06-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Lisa,

I am a huge fan of Julius the monkey by Paul Frank. Here's a link to a website to see him:
http://www.juliusandfriends.com

Might be a little too hip for a one year old's birthday theme, but you could get yourself a very cool t-shirt to wear on the occasion!

mama2be
06-01-2003, 10:54 AM
I am yanking a dog of off death row tomorrow in Craven County and bringing it to a foster home in Raleigh...a 2 year old pure lab...maybe really sticking to a pup theme I should drop the pup off at your place :)...I can find a big bow somewhere :)...

I am only joking, to know me is to have me to try get you to take a critter that crosses my path all the time...be forwarned :)

blnony
06-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Here is a link to a very cute puppy cake. She has some really cute cake ideas.

http://www.cakesbysam.com/images/Birthday_Cakespics/Puppy.jpg

Andrea S
06-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Brianna,

Did you find a dress yet? The had the cutest lady bug dress in Marshall Field. It was made by Good Lad. It was red/white checks with lady bugs around the bottom.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

spu
06-01-2003, 02:41 PM
all those cakes are so creative!!!

my twin babies are turning 1 in July and I've been going back and forth between a bunch of ideas too. I'm trying to find something I can spoof that would relate to 2, 2 babies, or a pair of something, or something that alludes to surviving the first year of parenthood... If you have any ideas for 2 babies, I'd love to hear!!! thanks!!

but so far, I'm leaning toward a luau theme. I might take a pic of the babies in their diapers and superimpose a hula outfit on them. I figured the theme would translate pretty easily into food, music, decorations, etc.

Here's a big question out there for all you experienced birthday-moms -- if you do a theme for the 1st birthday, like frogs or looney tunes (other ideas we had..) do people bring gifts related to such a specific theme? We didn't decorate in a theme (ugh!! still can't decide on that too!) so i don't want people to think they should match anything... does that make any sense?

So..... I'm searching for ideas relating to 2 babies / twins / the number 2 / or anything else related... any ideas are desperately welcome! thanks!!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

nigele
06-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Susan,

Two babes turning one! Wow - I am really going to have to think about some ideas for you. How fun! A friend in the neighborhood just told me she is having her baby's first birthday party at the end of the month and the theme is "We survived the first year." I will be sure to send you the details after the party!

MartiesMom2B
06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Annette and Joanna:

Can I come up and visit so I can go to Carvel???? (Of course I want to come and meet you both and the little ones too!!) I always wanted to Cookie Puss cake when I was little because he had an ice cream cone nose and I wanted to eat it!

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Please don't tell Mike. He wants a dog so badly, but we can't have one due to our lease. Neve as soon as we buy a house you know I'll be calling you to help us find a poochy.

Sonia

mama2be
06-01-2003, 04:48 PM
OH please do...I'll find you a great one I promise. I have found the "perfect" pooch for so many people and then they decide they want a puppy purebred (which are everywehere in SPCAs too) aminly because their 5 year old "wants a puppy"...but they want to go to a breeder (which is usually a puppy mill and a trailor in these parts) and they get the a pup that does not fit into their life style. I would work so hard to help you find a good one. That is a huge passion of mine saving these pups. And if you are breed specific there are rescues everywhere I can put you intouch with...

mama2be
06-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Brianna...I love the doggy cake...LOVE IT!!!!

blnony
06-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Andrea-
I got ebay fever!! I had a lot of explaining to do.
I actually won THREE ladybug dresses. All new with tags.:)
Now, I just have to try all of them on Audrey and see which get the thumbs up. Thanks for looking though, that was incredibly sweet of you.

jojo2324
06-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Brianna, look at how adorable this is!! It was on the site Debbie recommended. (Thank you!)

http://family.go.com/Resources/Cakes/recipes/special/ladybug.jpg

http://family.go.com/recipes/special/cake/cake_ladybug/

Ugh, now I am spending obscene amounts of time looking at cakes. :P

blnony
06-01-2003, 09:46 PM
JoAnn-
You are so sweet. That cake is too cute. I would love to make Audrey's, but I've come to accept my baking limits. :) I wish I had talent like some of you here.
Here is a picture of the one I ordered for Audrey. It wasn't very expensive, and the little present on it is the small cake for her to destroy.
http://www.cakesbysam.com/images/Birthday_Cakespics/ladybug.jpg

Andrea S
06-02-2003, 08:25 AM
That cake is the cutest thing! I have got to get busy with Andrew's theme. I can not decide what to do. Did you order it from a bakery?

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

nigele
06-02-2003, 08:50 AM
I often got a cookie puss cake for my birthday when I was little! (Sorry, I don't mean to rub it in, Sonia!)

nigele
06-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Brianna,

I once mentioned (as an adult) to my aunt that I like ladybugs. Since then, she costantly sends me boxes of ladybug stuff. I am so tired of looking at ladybugs now! She has not only sent me ladybug pajamas, t-shirts, potholders, stickers, but also sends weird things like plastic ladybug rings, junky ladybug candles, cheapo ladybug earrings, ladybug key chains, a ladybug rubber ball, (long before I had a baby) etc. Just plain strange! Anyway, I'll have a look through my boxes and see if there is anything I can contribute to Audrey's birthday party theme!

Lisa

blnony
06-02-2003, 08:55 AM
I ordered it from a lady around here that does cakes for birthdays, weddings etc. I think she works out of her home. I hate to throw prices around, but that cake was only $35 dollars!! I couldn't believe it, and it feeds 40 people! (the ladybug part alone, the present cake is for Audrey) A bakery around her wanted $60 for something similar, and that was just way too much. But we are going to have about 30 people for her birthday party. Some kids, but mostly family and close friends, so I didn't want to subject them to my baking abomination! :)
One of our friends son's 1st birthday was in March, and they did Clifford the Big Red Dog theme and it was too cute. That baby with red clifford frosting all over him was adorable. They did a big clifford cake for the adults, and a cute small clifford cake for him to dive into, when he saw that cake he looked like a mad-man!
Its just so much fun! I hate the thought of my baby growing up, but the party planning side is keeping me busy, and its so fun!

nigele
06-02-2003, 08:56 AM
You already ordered her cake?! You are way too organized!! The cake is really precious - and what a great idea to have a separate cake for Audrey to demolish!

blnony
06-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Lisa-
You are too funny!!:)
I can imagine your ladybug overload. But at least you know she thinks about you. Thats one good upside.
I can't wait to hear the details of Tom's party. I know its going to be a hit!

blnony
06-02-2003, 09:03 AM
I really should go to a party planning 12 step program.:)
I get carried away. I've already ordered the invitations from the printers! :)
But I'm also planning my In-Laws 50th Anniversary Party in September, so I really am having to be super organized, but the same lady is doing both cakes, same printers..etc.
BTW, if anyone has any good ideas for Anniversary parties I'm all ears...I've never planned anything like that, so I'm hoping it all comes together.
I also did our wedding, which almost killed me, we had 300 guests and by the end, I was sure that it had given me gray hair! I also swore that was the last of the big parties, then ta-da, I eat my words. :) (funny how that happens.)

ddmarsh
06-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Susan - I've never seen anyone match gifts to a theme per se but often, particularly as they get a bit older, there is a character or interest the child has that it winds up that the parents make that the theme and also they receive gifts for it (i.e. Sesame Street, Arthur, ballet). When this happens it is usually more because of the child's interest, not because guests are trying to go along with the theme if you know what I mean.

HTH and have fun planning!

Debbie
Mom to 3 boys, 1 girl

nigele
06-02-2003, 09:08 AM
I went to Party City this weekend and found some really sweet "Baby's First Birthday" partyware. Here is a link (the first picture on the page.) Some of the pieces in the collection are sparkly:

http://www.birthdaydirect.com/1st-birthday-party-supplies-catalog.html

I might just get these pieces and have the theme "Baby's first birthday" rather than doing something more specific. I hope to come up with some sort of cute cake that depicts Tom. Maybe a little scene with a boy in glasses with a puppy and a monkey. (His two faves!)

nigele
06-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Saw this web page on a ladybug party and thought you might like it...

http://www.storkbabygiftbaskets.com/LadyBug_Party.htm

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
There is a bakery here that can print a picture on edible icing and put it on a cake. You could have Tom on his own cake!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Andrea S
06-02-2003, 01:43 PM
This thread has inspired me to think about Andrew's birthday and I think I may have a rubber duckie theme. His ducks are by far his favorite toys and have been for awhile.

Now I have to see if I can come up with a cake. I do not think I can make one on my own. And I just remebered there is a store in Asheville that is like an old time general store that had rubber ducks in different outfits like policeman. I could get them for favors (we are only having a few kiddies).

I am getting excited to start planning Andrew's (and my) big day.

Thanks Lisa for starting this great thread.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Andrea S
06-02-2003, 01:46 PM
I do not have monkey ideas, but if you go with the puppy theme I just read in an old parent mag that a good favor is a beanie baby. I know they have a bunch of different dog ones.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mama2be
06-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Andrea I can think of nothing nore perfect for a first birthday...rubber duckies...they just seems to be for that age don't they...that sounds Perfect!!!!

OK gals now I'm planning Tristans first birthday and it is 9 months away :)!!!!

nigele
06-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Oooooooh - Andrew can have a bathtub cake with icing inside made to look like water and a real rubber ducky on top! What a fun theme!

blnony
06-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Lisa-
Thank you. What great ideas! now, I have even more stuff on my list. I can't wait to hear what you decide about Tom's b-day. You will have to share some pics with us.
Also, all of the ladybug dresses I won for Audrey on ebay came today!! They are soooooo cute, I'm never going to be able to decide.
This is sad, I already have her birthday dress too. I'm going to run out of stuff to do by August. :)

Andrea S
06-02-2003, 03:35 PM
That is a great idea! All I am coming up with is duck shaped cakes I like the bathtub idea.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

blnony
06-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Here is something for decoration we had planned for a friends babyshower since it was a duckie theme and twins, but we bought one of those large bubble bowls at Michaels (it was around $4) and we were going to put clear glass rocks in the bottom and blue colored water and two small rubber duckies, so they could float around in their bowl! I had seen it in an old In Style Magazine and it was too cute! Not helpful on the cake thing, but it would be a cute decoration.

nigele
06-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Andrea,

Check out the ducky soap!

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=11672&SIND=1&cmCL=estyleoutlet&frm=2

Andrea S
06-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Hey!

This soap is too cute I am going to have to order it. I just got back into town and I am glad I came back to the b-day thread. Did you decide on a theme yet? Check this web site out people submit their party ideas www.birthdaypartyideas.com.

Thanks for the soap site!!

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Annette_C
06-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Andrea,
How funny that you and I are planning the same theme! In fact, after a lot of thinking, DH and I agreed that ducks are by far Sabrina's favorite....she even quacks when she sees one (she got that from the Baby Einstein videos)!
I spent all weekend trying to find party supplies with ducks on them (we have many big party stores). I found everything but ducks! The closest I could get to ducks was the 1st b-day farm theme. I did find, though, a duck cake mold, little duck candles and duck cookie cutters/stamps.
Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) also gave me a good idea when I saw her the other day: a bowl of blue jello with little ducks on top.
Sabrina also has an inflatable duck little bathtub (see attached picture) that she loves and I'm thinking of placing party favors, blow horns, etc. in it for the party.
Let me know if you have come up with anything else so we can share ideas!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Edited to add: !*&^% pictures won't load!!

nigele
06-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Annette & Andrea,

Here are some ducky party goods:

http://www.birthdayexpress.com/bexpress/product.asp?sku=26952

Be sure to read the reviews on the page - people who bought these and reviewed them listed all kinds of cute ideas for a ducky theme.

We went to a first birthday party this weekend and the theme was bears. As favors, the kids were given a little stuffed bear with a balloon tied to them. The bears and balloons were scattered around the room in bunches as decorations and as the kids left, they took theirs. (This also meant less clean-up for the Mom afterwards!) You could do this with rubber duckies, or the little bean bag duckies they sell on the above website.

kransden
06-10-2003, 08:35 AM
That is a great site! Thanks for sharing the link.
Karin
Katie 10/24/02

daisymommy
06-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Joanne,
I know BJ's is a bit of a drive from you, but our BJ's carries Carvel ice cream cakes! Yummy! I don't know anything about Fudgy the Whale (but sounds like I am missing out ;). Is this a design they could put on a Carvel cake maybe?

jojo2324
06-10-2003, 09:10 AM
For those not in the know, here is Fudgie. Personally, for me, the best thing about Carvel cakes is the gravel on the inside. That's what we call it...It's ground up chocolate cookies or something. SO good. Also, the minty blue frosting is divine!

http://www.carvel.com/images/products/silos/img-special_shapes.gif

You can also see Fudgie's friends, Cookie Puss and Hug Me the Bear.

daisymommy
06-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Wow! Audrey's birthday is only three days after Joshua's! Martha Stewart had a ladybug theme party in a MS Baby magazine in a few years ago. My friend used it for her party, and it was adorable! The cupcakes were little ladybugs. I'll try to find the deco. instructions if you'd like.
We're trying to think of a theme too. I wanted to do Winnie the Pooh, but his "best-friend" (my friend's son), had a Pooh party two months ago, with all Pooh food (curly cue fries for Piglet's tails, baby carrots from Rabbits garden, etc.) So, I was thinking either Sesame Street, or an all classic colors party with Funfetti cupcakes with the sprinkles, bright baloons, streamers, etc. But now I'm thinking Little Bear!

daisymommy
06-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I like the idea of going with just a "Baby's First Birthday" party, and I've actually considered doing that myself. I have seen cake molds that are little squares the size of cupcakes. You frost them, and pipe frosting around the sides to look like a riboon tied around the packages. Then everybody gets a little "present-cake", very cute!

sweetbasil
06-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Lisa,
Am I wrong, or is that a new picture of Tommy? He's getting so big- and cuter by the day! :)

Annette_C
06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Yes, Andrea, that's the one we have too! I'll try to load the picture again...maybe it'll work this morning!
Thanks for the ideas, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks to you too Lisa for the link and great suggestions. The only thing special about the farm theme I found is that it has "1st birthday" printed on it. It also comes with a little tiara that says "I'm 1 today". Maybe I can mix and match so I get the best of both!:)

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

chrissyhowie
06-10-2003, 10:17 AM
My aunt used to own a Carvel. I worked there one summer when I was in high school (I loved, loved, loved making and decorating the cakes, especially Cookie Puss!). That "gravel" is crushed up flying saucer cookies mixed with the chocolate coating that hardens when you put it on ice cream.

So you can probably make your own using crumbled chocolate cookies and mixed with some chocolate Magic Shell from the grocery store. And please tell your waistline to stop giving me nasty looks for telling you this ;)!

nigele
06-10-2003, 03:40 PM
:-)

New picture & thanks!!

parkersmama
06-10-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry that I'm getting back to you so late on this! I never received an email...did you send one? I'd be happy to mail it to you, if you'd like.

We did a puppy party for Parker's 4th b'day. Some of these ideas are too old for a first b'day but here's what we did. I bought beads and let the kids make their own "dog collars". We also did face painting so that the kids looked like puppies...spots, black noses, whiskers, a red tongue, etc. I bought plastic headbands and fake fur and used a glue gun to glue on cut out fur ears and each child got to choose their own set of ears to wear and keep. I bought cheap $0.99 plastic dog dishes and we ate ice cream in one side and cake in the other. I made the puppy cake, which was a big hit. We played games like Simon Says using dog actions (wag your tail, shake, roll over, and so on). We also did follow the leader similarly. The goody bags were things ordered from Oriental Trading...puppy stickers, pencils, erasers, etc. It was really a lot of fun and perfect for that age group. A lot of these ideas could be used for younger kids if you make them more suitable to that age group.

The monkey idea sounds really cute, too! Good luck on your party!!

jojo2324
08-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Lisa, me too!! SOB! Can you believe it?

Okay, Beth, that cake is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen!! Do you have any pics of her catapulting into it? :)

Lisa, here is what I have been toying with. I ordered a PBK kiddie pool when I was still preggo with the Gster. It is a whale, and when you step on a small button, water shoots out of his spout. Very cute! For Gannon's birth announcement, we had a whale motif. I am going to try and and attach the announcement, but I am such a ninny on the computer, it might not work. I do not have a photo of his pool.

So what I was thinking was constructing a whale cake. I suppose I would have to piece it together, because I searched online for whale molds and came up empty handed. Then I could either fill the kiddie pool at his party, and have him splash around in it, or just put his gifts in it.

I have been combing through all my back issues of Parents, Parenting and Child magazines, hoping to find a whale themed party, but no such luck. Let me know what you decide! :D

egoldber
LOL! If it has sugar and frosting, he'll love it!!! :) (Assuming he's not allergic to anything like wheat or whatever.)

We have always called Sarah, our "little bear". So for Sarah's first birthday, I did a "little bear" motif. We had a bear shaped cake, and I also made smaller bear shaped cakes for each child that was coming. We also did bear invitations, bear napkins, plates, etc. I got all the stuff at Party City and made the cake myself using Wilton cake decoriating stuff. The hardest part was decorating the stand up bear cake, and DH actually did most of that. He's actually really good at cake decorating.

So I would pick something that is meaningful for you and Thomas. A natual might be a Thomas the Tank Engine theme, a little boy theme with the boy wearing glasses, etc.

Here's a link to all the Wilton stuff: http://www.wilton.com/ And Michaels craft stores always have good deals on their stuff.

I also attached a pic of our bear cake.

HTH,

Andrea S
I think I am going to get blue plates from target. In the summer section with the polka dot stuff they have the the prettiest paper plates. They have ducky plates at b-day express, but I did not like them. I am going to have a duck cake, invitations and some ducks around and everything else blue and yellow. Also at Target they had cute little buckets for $1.00 I am thinking about getting yellow ones to use as favors or put stuff in them. We are having a cook out and a few friends so I think there will only be a few kids most under 1. Land of nod had some cute bigger rubber ducks. This is all in my head it will be interesting to see what I actually end up with. Let me know how yours turns out and if you find any good ducky stuff. Check out www.birthdaypartyideas.com they have some ducky parties.

Edited to attach ducky bathtub picture. Is this like the one yoy guys have? I was trying to think of something I could do with it for the party.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02