PDA

View Full Version : How long before you could identify the different cries

flagger
06-01-2003, 07:01 AM
So how long was it before you could identify the different cries your DD/DS made?

I have just about got the wet/dirty and the hungry/thirsty down.

Last night was a new one that was either gas, comfort me, or the p*ssed off about the world cry.

brubeck
06-01-2003, 09:22 AM
I think you've come across what we call the 'Oh my goodness the world is ending!' cry. This is the heart-breaking one that makes you think your baby is in the worst torture of her life. It generally relates to pain or being woken up unpleasantly (at least for my kids).

I think it was a couple of weeks before I started identifying the more general cries. Even now I don't think about it, somehow I just know what Andrew wants. If I had to describe his 'hungry cry' I couldn't, but if he's crying I can tell you if it's because he's hungry or not. I dunno, maybe I'm cheating. I AM the ultimate source of his feeding schedule so I always know when he last ate!

MartiesMom2B
06-01-2003, 12:11 PM
I would say a couple of weeks maybe? So far we have 3 cries that we regularly hear:

I'm hungry, I need to pass gas/poop, and the worse I'm really overtired so I'm going to cry very LOUD because I refuse to fall asleep.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

dogmom
06-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I would say I got that cry on day two. Of course in the middle of the breast feeding class. ("Could you repeat that thing about the latch, please, there was a baby screaming in my ear.") Of course the cry just continued down the hallway into the room with four waiting visitors when I had made it clear I wanted no visitors. I called it, "What's with this breathing on my own *!@%#. And would someone turn off that light!" It seems to have morphed into the, "No, I'm not tired!" or, "But I want to crawl now, not in a month!"

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/03

MartiesMom2B
06-01-2003, 06:36 PM
I forgot the "No, not that bulb thing that goes up my nose" cry. She starts crying if she even sees it coming towards her face.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm