PDA

View Full Version : OT-Which Is Easier: Rag Painting or Sponge Painting?

August Mom
06-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Okay, you all have me inspired. I had never heard of Trading Spaces until the recent thread about it and now I think I'm addicted. LOL At least I'm inspired. DH and I have decided that we're finally going to add some color to the master bedroom and bath. However, we're NOT inviting Doug over to help. LOL Anyway, we were thinking of doing some decorative painting, at least in the bathroom. I think I like the look of rag painting a little bit better than sponge painting, but I've never done either. And, it looks like you need a glaze and lots of rags for the rag painting. Which method would be best/easiest for beginners to tackle? TIA

AngelaS
06-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Wall Magic!! This is the EASIEST way ever to do texture painting!!

I bought my kit at a garage sale for $5 but you can buy the set at Walmart or Lowes or wherever for about $30. It's a roller w/a pan that you put two colors in. Then each side of the roller goes in a separate paint color. You paint Ws on the walls and get a GREAT look! (the room I'm in now was painted this way and I LOVE it!) My dh is not at all artsy/crafty and he did this whole room and said it was SO easy!

We're planning to do our bedroom one of these weekends---a deep RED! I cannot WAIT! :D

August Mom
06-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of Wall Magic, but it sounds very cool. I'll have to check it out.

August Mom
06-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Oh, Julie. That looks SO good. I hope whatever we wind up doing looks okay. I guess if not, we can always repaint in a solid color. :)

sweetbasil
08-25-2003, 11:18 PM
It depends on the rag painting- some paints need a glaze, but some you can just thin out with water. We did this in our half bath (that was my first faux job to tackle) and just used paper towels--- the book said to tear off sheets of paper towels three at a time, then crumple them up, dip them in the desired color, and go to town. After that part of the paper towel got soaked, we'd unfold, re-crinkle, and got 2-3 uses like that of each bunched paper towel. We might've gone through 1 1/2 rolls, but no more.

Let's see if I can attach a pic of the final product (incidentally, there's a strange vertical glare just to the right of the right picture on the wall in this photo). I used a deep purple color called Woodchuck (love that name :)) for the base coat, and ragged on with a lighter, almost mauve color, on top. It looks really light and airy, and I'm pretty happy with it (not planning to redo it)!

Good luck! :) Let us know how it turns out- I'm sure it'll be awesome, whatever method you choose!