PDA

View Full Version : More Plane Questions for the Veterans from a newbie

Melanie
06-03-2003, 06:17 PM
We will be taking a less than 3 hour flight with our son who will be 20 months. We will be taking our Britax RA with us on the plane.

Where is the best place on the plane to sit from front-to-back? We won't be in 1st class. LOL! It's probably a smaller plane since it's a shorter flight, so I figure we'll be in one of those rows of three seats.

Also, when pre-boarding, would it be a better idea to have Dh go ahead of us by a few minutes until he gets the car seat installed? That way I can take Ds on at the last moment so he won't be stuck in it not moving, but we won't hold up the plane getting ready.

Can you still gate-check strollers? And what exactly does "gate check" mean? Is it still going to be thrown around & beat up by baggage handlers? I watched them hurl car seats on to the ground once, that is just another reason why ours is going ON the plane with us.

Now, I have been told to have Ds sucking on the descent. He doesn't take a pacifer or bottle only sippy cup or breast. I don't really want to nurse him then b/c he couldn't be in his car seat then and that is the whole point of the car seat being on board! I don't think he'd drink a sippy cup for the entire way down. Any suggestions?

We're planning on carrying on a change of clothes for all of us, sippy cup, snacks and maybe getting a magna doodle like someone suggested. If he gets bored, probably letting him play with stuff he doesn't usually get like pens would work better than toys so I'm not going to waste space with many of them. I will also be carrying on a lot of cloth diapers that I don't want lost!

Anything else to add?

Thank you mamas! I'm so anxious about all the unknowns with this!

Mommy to Jonah

Sarah1
06-03-2003, 06:53 PM
I COMPLETELY understand your anxiety. Flying is stressful by yourself, let alone with a baby. I am not a veteran, but I have flown twice with the baby (by myself, no hubby).

First of all, the biggest pain is going through security. Be prepared to take your baby out of your stroller/carseat/Baby Bjorn. (I thought I was smart carrying DD in the baby bjorn the second time, but I had to take it all off--what a royal PAIN). Everything has to go through the frickin' (sp? is there a spelling for that?) x-ray machine. This is, in my opinion, the worst part of the travel experience.

That said, onto your questions. I think your idea to have your husband go on first and install the seat is genius. Definitely, the longer you can keep your baby mobile, the better! I let my DD play on the floor (on a blanket) until the last possible second.

As for the stroller, gate check means that, when you are strolling down the jetway to board the plane, you will leave your stroller at the end of the jetway. They will put a little tag on it and give half the tag to you. (or, if you are flying on a smaller jet when you actully have to walk outside to the tarmac, someone will come and take your stroller outside when you're in the boarding area). Both times I flew (United), I was pleased with how they handled my stroller, I didn't see any guys hurling it around, and both times when we got off the plane they had the stroller opened up and ready for us (these people must have a lot of experience, since it took me like a month to finally figure out how to open and close my stroller!)

Best place to sit: even though I've always preferred the front of the plane, it's better to be in back. I discussed this extensively with a female United employee (she has 3 kids). The back is usually less full, which is nice, maybe you'll be able to spread out. Also, if you want to get up with your baby, you aren't slave to the beverage cart as you may be when you're up near the front. Also, you're closer to the bathroom, not that you can really do much in there. You can't change them in there (pray that you don't have a poopy diaper blowout as I did on one flight...had to change DD lying awkwardly across my own seat as I stood trying to maneuver her diaper...what a mess. Sorry, I just gave you YET ANOTHER thing to stress about)

As for entertainment: we are buying a portable DVD player to play Einstein DVDs. If you're not up for buying one, they rent portable DVD players at lots of airports--it's cool--you can rent at your departure airport and then drop off at your arrival. I've never done it (they don't have it at O'hare), but my sister who lives in Denver has, and she says it's great. for more information about this, check out www.inmotionpictures.com, as well as www.portabledvdrentals.com

As for the sucking: both times I flew, DD was sucking on a pacifier during takeoff & landing. Now, she is almost 7 months and is no longer using apacifier, so I'm with you, wondering what to do during takeoff and landing! We're taking a 4 hour plane trip (yikes) next month. Someone please advise!

egoldber
06-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Melanie, you can call the airline and they will tell you what type of aircraft you will have. (This is always subject to last minute change, but is usually correct.) If you are not in a bulkhead row (the row in the VERY front section of the cabin with no seats in front), then it doesn't really matter so much where you are on the plane. Some airlines (United for instance) have a section in coach with seats that are farther apart so there is more legroom. It makes a difference, so asking for those may be helpful. If you are concerned about him making noise, you could ask to be seated over the engines. There is LOTS of white there and could help lull him to sleep.

If he's being fussy, dad boarding first with the carseat may be a good idea. We always try to board as quickly as possible so that we can get her in her seat and settled before the flight.

To gate check your stroller, ask the gate agent (NOT the agent at the check in desk in front) for a "stroller tag". They or you will tag your stroller. You wheel it down the jetway, fold it up and leave it by the door at the end of the jetway. If you are not POSITIVE where to leave it, just ask. A baggage handler will carry your stroller down the steps and stow it in the hold. They won't treat it as gently as you do, but not as bad as if it had wound its way through baggage handling hell. When you disembark at your destination, wait by door to the plane for your stroller and they will bring it to you.

I have never needed a change of clothes for me. But I hear horror stories, so I guess it doesn't hurt.

Sarah occasionally has problems with descent and ascent. She usually has more problems on takeoff than on landing for some reason. She is usually asleep at landing. Something that also works is giving a snack as well as a sippy. You just want them to be swallowing.

I would pack a small favorite toy like a board book. And some crayons. Don't underestimate the power of "found" toys on the aircraft. Cups from the beverage cart, the inflight magazines, the barf bags (to make puppets out of them and to color on).

One thing to be prepared for is security. This is the most stressful part of flying for me. You will have to fold your stroller and send it and all your belongings, including the carseat, through the Xray machine. If you have jackets, on, all the jackets have to come off. If ANY of you set off the metal detector, you will be pulled aside to be more thoroughly searched (including removal of your shoes). So try to make ALL your outfits metal-free that day. Depending on how insensitive the security folks are that day, they may MAKE Jonah walk through the security system by himself. I have never had this happen to me, but it did happen to friends of mine.

But other than all that, have a good time! LOL!!! :) Really, just give yourself plenty of time (arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight) and you shouldn't have any trouble.

HTH,

muskiesusan
06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
I agree that security is the biggest pain because of the unloading and loading of all the stuff! They are usually really helpful though.

I would agree to let your husband preboard and install the carseat. The worst part of the flight for my ds is the waiting to take off.

I have never had any problems with my strollers being damaged when gate checked. Different airlines gate check differently though. Most of the ones I dealt with tagged it when I was boarding, but last time the ticket taker yelled at me for not getting it tagged at the gate counter (how was I suppose to know?).

I have never had any problems with Nick's ears during takeoff or landing. I have a sippy in hand waiting, but he is usually too busy watching the flappy things on the wings go up and down. Which tells you where we normally sit, towards the back. The wings provide some entertainment, and I prefer to be one of the last ones off the plane since I have so much stuff to organize.

I have started changing diapers in the back where the flight attendents sit. They usually put the seats up when in flight, which leaves me some nice floor space to work with. They have all been very eager to allow me to do this, and I am sure the other passengers are grateful they don't have to smell the toddler poop!

I also just take a magna doodle and let him play with things he can't normally have. The best toy was a mini flashlight, it fascinated him for a while.

Sorry so long.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

Momof3Labs
06-03-2003, 08:10 PM
>the barf bags (to make puppets out of them and to color on).

Thanks for this idea, Beth - "Barfy" was good for a lot of laughs during the descent on both of our flights last weekend!

egoldber
06-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Alas, I cannot take credit for Barfy! I believe the true author of this tip was Sarah R. (nohomama). :)

Melanie
06-05-2003, 02:04 AM
Thank you everyone! Our choice is either United or Alaska. I have a really bad feeling about Alaska due to way too many signs last time we flew (short story: we were in Seattle when their plane crashed. We had flown on that same type (never had the guts to see if it was the same exact plane, could have been). The plane crashed off the coast right by my mother's house. Yeah, I believe in stuff like that.)

So, I think United it is! We'll have to haul our cookies to LAX, but I think it's worth it.

Consumer reports latest issue addresses best plane seats, so I'm going to have to check that out. I skimmed it so far and they said the back is worst b/c they are smaller rows? They also said the bulkhead row might not have arm rests that move?

egoldber
06-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Well we are United frequent fliers since that is who DH has to fly with for work. He logs 100,000+ miles a year with them. :)

The arm rests in the bulkhead seat do not raise up. But we have never had a problem fitting a carseat in there. The other thing about bulkhead seats is that since there is no seat in front of you, ALL your carryon has to be stowed in the overhead bin during takeoff and landing. Since you can occasionally sit on the runway for long periods of time waiting to take off, I find this to be inconvenient. But the bulkhead seats are also really hard to get since they are reserved for frequent fliers.

On United, the first several rows of coach are called Economy Plus and have several more inches og leg room than the other coach rows do. But these are also hard to get since they are also reserved for frequent fliers and only released just before the flight. if you ask the gate agent VERY nicely, she or he may be able to help you out.

HTH,

Melanie
06-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks. It's a corporate thing and the company that would be reserving them is huge, so they might get more leniency than I would if we're just calling on our own.

That is assuming they will go with our request not to fly their "preferred carrier" of American. (Another long story with that one, worst flight of my life. Pilot got on loudspeaker at one point and actually referred to the plane we were on as "vintage.")

Thank you for that great seating information!

kransden
06-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Everything Beth said is true. I am a former TWA employee and my DH traveled frequently only 50,000 to 75,000 miles a year thank god. After 9/11 and the baby, he is only gone every few months.
Consumer Reports/my bible is correct about the seating too, but they are talking in general. You have a specific need. (Like the difference between Baby Bargains and the CR baby guide :)) The chances of getting one of the seats with more room is very slim unless dh is a FF. If you sit in the back you usually can get a row to yourself. The white noise is usually soothing and you can stand up without getting in someone's way. If the baby is screaming, it doesn't bother the entire plane.

Most people like to sit in the front so you can get off sooner, but you are going to have to wait for your luggage anyway, so what's the hurry?

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

jd11365
06-05-2003, 12:23 PM
If you fly Jet Blue or the new Song by Delta, there are TVs on the plane for each seat at the same price of coach...there is no 1st class. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE Jet Blue...feels like 1st class...leather seats for all and the TVs...plus yummy snacks! I'm flying with my DD who will only be 6 weeks at the end of the month, so the TVs won't help her, but at least the other passengers have something else to listen to in case she starts crying! ;-)

egoldber
06-05-2003, 01:07 PM
American is a very good carrier. That pilot sounds like a bit of a flake, but I have always had very pleasant experiences flying American. One advantage to American is that they have actually made ALL the rows in coach a bit wider, not just the front section. So you may want to think about that. And unfortunately, your company's status will have no bearing on YOUR seat assignment. Preferential seat assignments are only given to frequent fliers regardless of how much business a company does with them (unless you are like the CEO of the company or something).

DH's only choices when he flies are United and American. We fly United since Dulles (our home airport) is a United hub. And we ALWAYS try to fly one airline when we can. Consolidating miles on one airline makes the miles add up very quickly.

HTH,

Melanie
06-05-2003, 04:38 PM
I want a non-stop flight, so our choices for that are only United or Alaska. I think American must stop in like SF or something b/c they don't show up in the non-stop search.

If we pick the back row does that mean the seats won't recline?

Jet Blue doesn't fly from So. Cal. to Washington or else I'd definitely try them.
http://www.jetblue.com/travelinfo/routemap.html

I'd even prefer Southwest but they also don't have nonstop and that's important to me with Ds.

egoldber
06-05-2003, 07:06 PM
It depends. Sometimes the last row does recline a little and sometimes not at all. You can ask when you book your ticket.

HTH,

megsmom
06-06-2003, 01:43 PM
The only other thing I would make sure of is that they don't accidentally book you in a window exit row. Carseats are not allowed there. This created a nasty snarl for us when I was traveling alone with Meg and we ended up being the last people to board the plane. The ticket agent should have noticed it, but didn't so we had to be reseated at the gate. This was a pain since everyone was ready to go and I had to install the car seat, get Meg settled, etc. Anyway, thankfully the stewardess was very helpful and they even let me bring my little umbrella stroller onboard, roll her down the aisle, and stow it overhead. This isn't everytime, but it's nice when they let us.

Meg only had trouble with her ears once. I usually give her a drink from her cup when we first start to descend and give it to her on the way up too. Snacks also work great as Beth mentioned.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/03

kransden
06-06-2003, 02:05 PM
If you are in the last 5 or 10 rows of the plane, depending on the size, you are back far enough. Most of the time the FA take the last row for crew rest. Also don't book the seats in front of an emergency exit, they don't recline either.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02