PDA

View Full Version : OT- Looking for DVD club recommendations

sweetbasil
06-04-2003, 07:53 PM
So we finally broke down and got our first DVD player in February, but we only have 2 DVDs to play in it- both Veggie Tales for DS :)

Does anyone have a membership to a DVD Club (like Columbia House, etc.) that they'd recommend, or do you find Sam's Club/Costco, and other retailers (who have sales) to be as good a deal? How about netflix.com and other similar services?

TIA,

lukkykatt
06-04-2003, 08:04 PM
I love Netflix! DH suggested that I do it while I was doing the 24 hour round the clock nursing thing, so I could stop watching Conan O'Brien reruns at 2 am. We've just kept up our membership ever since. I think if you go on their site, they usually have an offer for one or two weeks free.

Usually there is only a two or three day turnaround between the time I put the movie in the mail and the time I get the next one. The only problem I have run into is that every so often, you get a scratched movie that you need to send back for another one. I think that has happened about 3 times.

I would definitely recommend them.

egoldber
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Costco has lots of DVDs for good prices, but the selection is hit and miss. If you see something you like, you need to buy it because it may not be there the next time you go!

We have subscribed to netflix almost since they were created and were a few miles away from where we lived. :) It is very convenient and very reliable. And they EVERYTHING.

And Blockbuster an other video chains also now have pretty comprehensive DVD collections.

HTH,

Roleysmom
06-04-2003, 08:25 PM
I second the recommendation for Netflix. We've had it for about six months and love it. It's so convenient to get the dvds mailed directly to you and it's no big deal for us to walk half a block to put them in the mailbox. (The dog has gotten a couple more walks as a result of Netflix!) You do have to watch a lot of dvds and be pretty diligent about returning them as soon as you have watched them in order to make the most of the service. I think the time between when you return a movie and when you receive a new one depends on the region where you live. We are near a distribution center, I think, and we've gotten movies in as quick as two days.

Paula
-- mom to Roley Julia
01-04-02

Jeanmick
06-04-2003, 10:30 PM
I also recommend Netflix...for the same reasons my fellow posters have said above.

sweetbasil
06-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Great...thanks a bunch, everybody! I may have to convince DH that it's worth it. We aren't big movie "owners" as much as watchers, so that might fit our needs better.

Thanks again :)

MommytoDylan
06-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Netflix is WONDERFUL! A friend told me that when she tried to cancel they tried to persuade her to stay by lowering the monthly fee from $19.99 to $13.99! That makes it cheaper than renting 4 DVDs where we live! We haven't tried to cancel yet...:)

Meredith

Mommy to Dylan
11-12-02