PDA

View Full Version : Going Back to Work

kfcboston
06-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Has anybody's else's baby had a rough transition to day care? My 3-month old DS had been exclusively BFed, with the occasional EBM bottle thrown in. Now my mom is feeding him EBM from 8am-6pm 3 days a week. This has been the first week, but it sure seems like he's been very fussy these 3 days with my mom. I really think it might be all this bottle-feeding has lead to increased spit-up and fussiness. Have we overestimated the comforting power of the breast? Will he adjust? I will continue to BF him when not at work. Please share your thoughts - thanks!

kfcboston
06-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Has anybody's else's baby had a rough transition to day care? My 3-month old DS had been exclusively BFed, with the occasional EBM bottle thrown in. Now my mom is feeding him EBM from 8am-6pm 3 days a week. This has been the first week, but it sure seems like he's been very fussy these 3 days with my mom. I really think it might be all this bottle-feeding has lead to increased spit-up and fussiness. Have we overestimated the comforting power of the breast? Will he adjust? I will continue to BF him when not at work. Please share your thoughts - thanks!

stella
06-05-2003, 01:04 PM
He will adjust. I know it's breaking your heart that he's having a hard time with this - e probably does miss you (and your breasts!). And the comforting power of the breast is very great, in my experience. Helpful for almost any fussiness - although you can really feel like a human pacifier sometimes.

But it's your mom awho is taking care of him and no one else besides you and his dad loves him that much so he will be okay. It's just a transition and you are doing a wonderful thing by pumping and working - it seems like it would be a LOT of trouble!!

He will be fine. He actually has a great situation being cared for byhis grandmother. Don't beat yourself up over this. Short of you staying home and nursing him all the time, this is probably the best thing possible. And I don't know your work situation or if you are able to take more time off, but it actually sounds like a nice schedule to me!

HTH - Claire
mama to Wade (2) and Anna (7 mos)

stella
06-05-2003, 01:04 PM
He will adjust. I know it's breaking your heart that he's having a hard time with this - e probably does miss you (and your breasts!). And the comforting power of the breast is very great, in my experience. Helpful for almost any fussiness - although you can really feel like a human pacifier sometimes.

But it's your mom awho is taking care of him and no one else besides you and his dad loves him that much so he will be okay. It's just a transition and you are doing a wonderful thing by pumping and working - it seems like it would be a LOT of trouble!!

He will be fine. He actually has a great situation being cared for byhis grandmother. Don't beat yourself up over this. Short of you staying home and nursing him all the time, this is probably the best thing possible. And I don't know your work situation or if you are able to take more time off, but it actually sounds like a nice schedule to me!

HTH - Claire
mama to Wade (2) and Anna (7 mos)

nitaghei
06-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, we've had issues too. I feel your pain!

DS was home with my parents initally. That wasn't so bad, because he'd been taking bottles all along, and he was used to my parents feeding him even when I was there (the first 7 hideous weeks when I pumped exclusively because of nipple confusion following a NICU stay).

But - when we started day care about 3 weeks ago, he went on a bottle strike. He refused to take more than an ounce or two at a time, when he used to average 5 ounces at home. Fortunately, I can go nurse him in the middle of the day, which helps me, at any rate!

DS has also been fussier than I have ever seen him. He is normally a happy baby, but he's been cranky, and has been sleeping poorly, which is most unusual for him. From sleeping 6-7 hours at night, he went sleeping no more than 2 - and needed to nurse every time.

Good news (yes it's coming). Last night he slept for 6 hours, nursed and went right back to sleep. This morning he drank an entire 4 ounce bottle at day care!!

Hopefully, we've turned the corner, and so will your DS. And never underestimate the power of nursing!

HTH

Nita

nitaghei
06-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, we've had issues too. I feel your pain!

DS was home with my parents initally. That wasn't so bad, because he'd been taking bottles all along, and he was used to my parents feeding him even when I was there (the first 7 hideous weeks when I pumped exclusively because of nipple confusion following a NICU stay).

But - when we started day care about 3 weeks ago, he went on a bottle strike. He refused to take more than an ounce or two at a time, when he used to average 5 ounces at home. Fortunately, I can go nurse him in the middle of the day, which helps me, at any rate!

DS has also been fussier than I have ever seen him. He is normally a happy baby, but he's been cranky, and has been sleeping poorly, which is most unusual for him. From sleeping 6-7 hours at night, he went sleeping no more than 2 - and needed to nurse every time.

Good news (yes it's coming). Last night he slept for 6 hours, nursed and went right back to sleep. This morning he drank an entire 4 ounce bottle at day care!!

Hopefully, we've turned the corner, and so will your DS. And never underestimate the power of nursing!

HTH

Nita

LD92599
06-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Happy 3 month Birthday to Charlie! I totally understand...i started back this week full time. Originally DH was going to do a few days (he works out of our home usually) & my mom 2 days. Well, scheduling conflicts left us w/ my mom away this week & next and then DH getting a 5 days/week work assignment. DH is now at the start of 12 weeks off under FMLA....which was great for me as a transition, as i couldn't stretch my leave. He's loving being a SAHD!

Our problem is this...DS won't take a bottle of EBM during the day but at the same time, is still quite content w/o eating possibly all day (going from 8am-5:30pm). He did that on Monday but for the rest of the days DH brought him to my office around 12...picnic lunch in the office for us and BFing for DS. He was & still is exclusively BF'd. He would take a bottle once in awile (& we've tried so many different bottles!).

All last week DS took at least 1 bottle/day! What gives?!? Our kids are smarter than we think!! Fortunetly, he's not fussy and he sleeps great (11pm-7 or 8am)

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

LD92599
06-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Happy 3 month Birthday to Charlie! I totally understand...i started back this week full time. Originally DH was going to do a few days (he works out of our home usually) & my mom 2 days. Well, scheduling conflicts left us w/ my mom away this week & next and then DH getting a 5 days/week work assignment. DH is now at the start of 12 weeks off under FMLA....which was great for me as a transition, as i couldn't stretch my leave. He's loving being a SAHD!

Our problem is this...DS won't take a bottle of EBM during the day but at the same time, is still quite content w/o eating possibly all day (going from 8am-5:30pm). He did that on Monday but for the rest of the days DH brought him to my office around 12...picnic lunch in the office for us and BFing for DS. He was & still is exclusively BF'd. He would take a bottle once in awile (& we've tried so many different bottles!).

All last week DS took at least 1 bottle/day! What gives?!? Our kids are smarter than we think!! Fortunetly, he's not fussy and he sleeps great (11pm-7 or 8am)

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

stillplayswithbarbies
06-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Logan does not eat much when I am at work. (I go into the office one day a week and Daddy stays home that day).

What has worked for us is the Adiri Breastbottle. It looks and feels like a breast and she actually smiled the first time she was given this bottle.

http://www.breastbottle.com/

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

stillplayswithbarbies
06-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Logan does not eat much when I am at work. (I go into the office one day a week and Daddy stays home that day).

What has worked for us is the Adiri Breastbottle. It looks and feels like a breast and she actually smiled the first time she was given this bottle.

http://www.breastbottle.com/

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03