PDA

View Full Version : Henckel knives and other kitchen gadgets/electrics...

etwahl
06-06-2003, 10:59 AM
This is a bit of an extension from my other post on pots and pans. Since we are going to make some money on the sale of our house, and since we never had a wedding (got married in Vegas) we never got a lot of the stuff you get for weddings. We now want to start buying some of the stuff we've never had e.g. Henckel knives and some other kitchen gadgets.

I know there are a lot of series of henckels. What's the difference? And what is recommended? We want to buy select knives rather than a set (for the same reasons people suggested buying select pots and pans). Can anyone tell me what pieces are the most useful for them?

Also, care to share what your other favorite kitchen gadgets, electrics, and/or any other kitchen item? We want to have some fun stocking our new kitchen :) Especially because moving to a new town which is small and lacking in restaurants, I want to get back into cooking...especially now that we have a baby. Well at least I'd like to start doing that once she's not quite so needy. Right now, I can't cook anything!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Tammy:

I would suggest going to an Asian grocery store and getting a cleaver and a sushi knife. The cleaver is great for chopping big things up and for deboning. The sushi knife is extremely sharp and is great for chopping things too. I would also suggest a mini-processor. I love it for mincing vegetables and I use it more than my regular processor. It should come in handy too when Lauren eats solids, should you choose to make your own food. And something that I wish I had was a zester, you can find them at Williams Sonoma, my mom likes her Pampered Chef one. But it seems like every recipe I read calls for a zest of some citrus fruit. Have fun shopping.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

C99
06-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Tammy,

We had a wedding, but we didn't register for or receive the KitchenAid mixer. I bought one this past fall and I love it, although it's definitely not something that you can use everyday.

MelissaTC
06-06-2003, 12:09 PM
I went to a local cutlery to purchase my knives and was told that when it comes to the 4 star and 5 star, the difference is in the handle. I was all ready to shell out for the 5 star when I was told to hold them and see what fit best. 4 star won out and $400 later, I am happy as a lark. I love my knives and can't believe I used to use what I did before. Good knives are well worth the investment. I do want to purchase the cleaver. That is the one that I don't have but want.

As far as gadgets go, one of my favorites is the Tupperware ice cream scoop. It warms to body heat and scoops with ease. Even my DH loves it and he doesn't like anything I like. It retails for around $19 but is well worth the money. I also love my Tupperware spatulas. They are the best I have bought and I have bought just about every kind imaginable! I also can't live without my OXO can opener. LOVE IT!

chrissyhowie
06-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Our friend is a professional chef. He swears by Global knives. There's a seller on Ebay that has the best prices I've seen for them. We drool over them all the time.

The one basic tenet is that you want to make sure the metal extends all the way through the handle, not just stop at the hub. All high-end knives will have this. After this, it really comes down to how it feels in your hand. I know for the Henckels line, the upper-end series really just differ by their handle shapes -- choose which one feels best and most balanced in your grip.

I have all sorts of knives I've "collected" over the years, from the cheap to the expensive. I only really use two of them -- my Henckel 4 star chef's knife and bread knife. I also have a very nice Henckel's cleaver that I thought I'd use more (the heavy blade come in handy for smashing garlic or breaking through chicken bone), but I find myself reaching for the chef knife all the time. The bread knife gets used for specific purposes (cutting bread, carving meat, etc.)

You also should get a sharpening steel (which is really misnamed and should be called a straightening steel, but that's getting picky ;)!) and use it prior to each use to keep it razor sharp. A small paring knife may come in handy as well for tiny jobs.

Bottom line, I could live with just one big knife (decide which length and width of the blade feels best in your hand and then choose the handle you like) and one straightening steel. A bread knife and small paring knife would round out my ideal collection.

Whew! Sorry about the long tutorial! :o

Edited to add: MICROPLANE GRATER! http://www.microplane.com/kitchen.shtml This is the best device ever! Super for ginger, garlic, zesting citrus fruits, parmesan cheese...love it!

zen_bliss
06-06-2003, 12:37 PM
these are splurgey things we ended up with by chance and thrift, but they do get use every single day:

VitaMix. (it was a gift) i thought who on earth needs a $300 blender, how stupid. but ooooh, it is niiice. while pregnant, i had frozen fruit smoothies every morning. it crushes ice without leaving chunks, and it will be the babyfood maker.

il pavoni espresso machine. the old-fashioned looking piston one (eBay steal) ahhhh how did i ever get by with the krups/braun machine? this is so good it has fansites on the net. in fact i am going down to pull a (decaf) shot right now that i think about it

russell hobbs cordless tea kettle. worth trying to find one of the UK made ones on eBay. these are an essential staple for those across the pond. heats water for tea in no time at all, very classic and pretty, and lasts forever (i have one that is at least 20 years old and works like new)

bodum 'eileen' press for excellent coffee or tea. the silver criss cross pattern is pretty enough to leave on display.

wow, enjoy your shopping spree! tell us what you get!!

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2003, 12:45 PM
I just want to add that I really want a microplane grater instead of just a zester. I'm a Food Tv junkie and this is what Alton Brown says to get. Also I'd like to second the Kitchen Aid Mixer. We have one, and I love it.

Sonia

Dcclerk
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
If you aren't dead set on Henckel, I would throw in a vote for Wusthof. I go to the neighborhood knife man (believe it or not, he has owned his cutlery shop for the last 30 years and still sharpens knives the old-fashioned way for customers, etc.) and although he sells all kinds of versions, he most highly recommends Wusthof. (Don't get the Cutco knives that they sell door to door... they are really not that fabulous as a long-term knife.) I have about 5 Wusthofs and really love them all. (But if I only could have one, I would just keep my 8" chef's knife.)

Other kitchen gadgets I love...

1. I also nominate the Microplane grater. I use it for zesting and to grate hard cheeses and marvel about it every time.

2. Kitchen-aid mixer. They have some really cheap prices on Amazon periodically. The other day I saw a factory reconditioned one for $80! They also have good deals at Costco. (Or, if I was truly going to spend an outlandish amount of money on a stand mixer, a Bosch mixer... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005REEK/qid=1054922537/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3462137-0606513?v=glance&s=kitchen)

3. Cuisinart food processer. (I have the old style and will say that the white plastic yellows for no good reason.) Still, I use the thing almost every time I cook and love how dishwasher safe it is. I was told by some kitchen store gurus to get the Cuisinart over the Kitchenaid food processor because the Cuisinart has a direct shaft motor, while the Kitchenaid is belt-driven and more likely to break.

4. Good blender. I have Cuisinart one that I am happy with, but I really covet Zen's Vitamix. Every time I go to one of DH's conferences, I find myself parked in front of that booth. (Generally you have to buy them at trade shows or online. They aren't in stores.) DH is truly embarrassed, but just you watch... when I start making food for my little babe (who still isn't here, 2 days after his/her due date!), we will be proud owners of a Vitamix!

5. Good pressure cooker. I have an electric one that I really like. You really can cook things so quickly in it, once you get the hang of it. Still, if you don't cook much, I may wait on this one.

6. Silpat. It's this funky reuseable mat for baking sheets. It makes it so things don't stick and gives the cookies the perfect texture. It's hard to believe until you try it... http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=schfname%7Cion%7Cp1%7Crshop%7Cssilpat&root=shop&gids=b037

Have fun stocking your kitchen. It is one of my favorite things to do (even though I cook about once a week!)

Kerry

kransden
06-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I have Wusthofs too. I bought them in Germany. They are the same class as the Henckels. It was cheaper for me to buy a set instead of indivuals. So I have about 10 different ones. I love them. Hand wash only! I use the veggie, bread, meat knives all the time. Just remember they are VERY sharp. I wouldn't use them while I was pregnant. I almost cut my finger off lol. My serrated knife I use all the time is from tupperware - dishwasher safe.

I second the kitchen aid mixer, and the cuisinart food processor. Both are worth the extra money.

I have a krupps crystal arom time coffee pot. It has a water filter and an automatic timer for your coffee. The timer is nice but doesn't matter so much, but the extra filter really makes the coffee taste so much better.

I am going to have to try the microplane grater now.

One very inexpensive item I use almost every day is the misto oil sprayer. They are at all cooking stores. I fill mine with olive oil. It puts out a nice fine mist to coat your pan.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

egoldber
06-06-2003, 02:05 PM
As far as knives go, I find that I only use about 3 all the time: my Henckels 4 star chefs knife, my Henckels paring knife and my Henckels bread knife. I have a couple other cheap ones that I use occasionally, but I would only really spend $$ on knives I use all the time. I have a few other Henckels knives that we got as gifts, but those are the ones I use all the time. I do have both a Henckels cleaver (which I have never used) and a Henckels boning knife (which is very nice, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it to bone in the last 10 years).

Other things that I find indispensible in the kitchen:

1) good quality gadgets: a nice can opener, a nice peeler, a zester, colander, hand grater, etc. I would splurge here before buying a lot of small appliances you may or may not ever use.

2) a food processor: I have a cheap one that I got as a holiday gift 10 years ago (a Regal La Machine II, LOL!). I keep saying that I will replace it with a Cuisinart when it breaks, but that thing just keeps going and going... And I have to say I have used my MIL's Cuisinart many times over the years and I honestly don't think it works any better. If you are using it to knead bread dough, then get a really expensive one. If you are using it to grate potatoes occasionally or to make dips and spreads, then I honestly don't think you need an expensive one. I have used mine to make pie crust dough many times and it works fine.

3) a KitchenAid stand mixer: if you do a lot of baking, these are indispensible.

Those are the mainstays of my cooking. I have blender but I use it only occasinally. I also have a mini-chopper, which I used more for making baby food than anything else.

HTH,

sugarsnappea
06-06-2003, 04:34 PM
My Aunt reps for henckels and she swears the 5 star are tops. I use Wusthof Trident cutlery - very similiar to Henckels. Wusthofs are heavier and they don't hold an edge as well as Henckels. They are both terrific brands of cutlery. A good 8" chef's knife, a serrated slicer and a boning knife would be all I needed on a desert island!
I would suggest you also purchase some good cutting boards- they will hold the knife's edges better.

Another vote for the Kitchenaid mixer, food processor and blender. Kitchenaid appliances are reputable and extremely durable. :)

Deb

Mom to Julia Grace 6-23-01
EDD #2 1-15-03

dogmom
06-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Tammy, congrats on the house equity!

You might want to take a look at http://www.cooksillustrated.com/. They have unbiased testing on many kitchen things from knifes to appliances. They are serious about cooking and I find them much more useful than say Consumer Reports. Because they don't take advertising it costs $25 to subscribe to the site for a year. If you want I think I can send you some, if not all the articles, from my account.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

smilequeen
06-06-2003, 08:43 PM
We have the Henkels 5 star and we love them. We aren't much into the cooking (especially me), so to be honest, I don't know what is supposed to be used for what or what you would need to be a serious cook ;) I'm one of those girls who wants a professional kitchen and can't cook worth a darn...But those knives work great!

Other things I love (keeping in mind that I don't really cook)
-Kitchen Aid Mixer
-Williams Sonoma Multi-Pot (I think that's what it was called...it's great for boiling, steaming, you name it)
-My fondue sets...we use it to do Chinese Hot Pot (correction, my husband uses it and I eat it :) )
-it's a small thing, but the Black and Decker Ergo Can Opener rocks (I can cook soup LOL)
-DH also loves his rice cooker and soy milk maker

Marisa6826
06-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Tammy-

Don't know if you have a similar place down where you live, but if you go to a reputable kitchen supply place, they will have different brand knives to sample.

There's a place here called Chef Central, where I actually took a knife class. We were able to sample the different knifes - chef's, sankuto (which is similar to a chef's knife but has a rounded top), paring and boning.

I personally preferred the Wustofs over the others. I was really hoping I would love the Globals because (a) they're very cool looking, (b) were highly recommended and (c) they're not as expensive. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand.

I also agree about the Kitchen Aid (Wms Sonoma has a cool orange one!), the Microplaner, a John Boos cutting board (I LOVE mine), the three set colanders from Wms Sonoma and their glass bowl set (it's about 15 bowls of various sizes from tiny (for measuring spices) to giant salad bowl size. It's about $35. I also suggest heat proof spatulas, good sheet pans and the silpats!

Have fun!

-m
-m

nohomama
06-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Two words I haven't seen mentioned yet are "immersion blender." They are great for pureeing soups and sauces and can be used in the pot while the soup or sauce is cooking. No more pouring from pot to blender/food processor and back to the pot again. We have a fairly inexpensive one made by Braun that also came with a mini processor attatctment. We use it a lot.

I second the suggestions of a good food processor and/or blender, a Kitchen Aid stand mixer (I prefer the more heavy duty models that use a lever to raise and lower the bowl rather that the ones that are hinged), a microplane grater, and heat proof spatulas. I would also add a good butcher block cutting board, a set of stainless steel and/or ceramic nesting bowls, and the Oxo salad spinner.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-06-2003, 10:39 PM
My favorite gadgets:

George Foreman grill. We use this almost every day. It's great to cook bacon, or grill onions and peppers, portobello mushrooms, chicken breasts, steak, whatever. Quick clean up too.

Kitchenaid mixer. I finally got one for my birthday last fall, and I can't imagine how I lived without it all my life.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

etwahl
06-06-2003, 10:47 PM
re the good butcher block cutting board, can you tell me how to clean these? i never used my wooden cutting boards for cutting because I'm afraid I don't know how to wash them! Also, how can you tell a good one from a bad one?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

new_mommy25
06-07-2003, 01:20 AM
These are all good suggestions. DH is a chef and he carries mostly Global's and a few Wustofs in his kinfe bags. We do have Henckels at home though. Make sure to pay attention to where they are manufactures. You can buy a Henckel kinfe at Target for instance, and they are produced in Taiwan or something like that, and not very good quality. You want the European made ones. BTW we got a very nice set of Henckels for his parents this past Christmas at Costco. I can't remember how much it cost, but I don;t remember it being too bad.

new_mommy25
06-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Just thought I'd throw in the fact that I cannot imagine my life without my kitchen aid.

etwahl
06-07-2003, 05:01 AM
Wow...well we're definitely going to get a kitchenaid based on everyone's opinion. everyone loves them so much. what do you use them all for...just batters really?

also, we have a huge gift certificate for Crate and Barrel because we cashed in our points before cancelling our amex because we decided to get and ALWAYS use a Baby Mint credit card. I saw they had wustofs today...but not henkels. Should we get the wustofs from there? Are they as good as the Henkels (the good ones, not the target ones!)

I have gotten so many good suggestions. I honestly cannot wait to go shopping now. Once we spend our Crate and Barrel, I plan on spending some time at Williams-Sonoma and either Macys Home or Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Couple questions. Someone mentioned coupons from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Where do you get those? Also, I found two kitchenaid mixers - one is $250 and one is $369. I'm assuming most people are talking about the $250 one? What if one could get the $369 one on sale for $300? Would it be worth it? I'm looking at buying this stuff as investments that will not need to be replaced for a long time. I've always enjoyed cooking and baking, but when it was just the two of us, and we were both working so much, I didn't have the opportunity or desire to cook. Now I'm really excited about getting back into it, and using all these tools that will make the experience even more fun :)

Couple more things I want FOR SURE, but need recommendations:

- What kind of cutting board?
- What kind of cookie sheets?
- Not a kitchen gadget, but our goose-down duvet is in need of being replaced (all the fluff is always at one end!) Any recommendations there? I had my last one for 10 years and have loved it, but need another really GOOD one.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
06-07-2003, 08:28 AM
KitchenAid makes mixers called Classic, Ultra Power, Heavy Duty and Professional. Each step "up" gets you a more powerful motor. If you only plan to make cookies and cake batter, it probably doesn't matter. But if you want to knead bread, I would definitely go for the Heavy Duty or Professional. We have a Professional that we got on clearance as a floor model several years ago. I LOVE it. I can knead two loaves of whole wheat bread without having to rest the motor.

I am a traditionalist, and I love wooden cutting boards. If you have a double sided sink, I would get one that fits on one side of your sink, so that you can chop and sweep the "leavings" into the side of the sink with the disposal. Makes clean up a lot easier. I also have a very cheap plastic cutting board that I use for cutting up meats that I can put in the dishwasher.

I have had great luck with inexpensive cookie sheets and baking pans. I have several from the Ekco Bakers Secret line (readily available at Target, BB&B, etc.) and I think they work beautifully. They have two lines, one that is VERY dark, and I wouldn't recommend that. I have a couple pieces of the Cushionaire type bakeware (with the air cushion so things don't burn) and I really dislike them. I find it almost impossible to judge when things are properly done, and I also find that cookies tend to never get done on the bottom.

For loaf pans, I like both the inexpensive Ekco ones and also Pyrex. I like the glass ones for tomoto things like meatloaf, because I do find that the tomato reacts with the aluminum in the Ekco pans (since they are not anodized).

As for down comforters, we have one from Lands End that I love. You can also get beautiful ones from The Company Store. Check their clearance page on their website for deals.

I would steer clear of Williams Sonoma. They are shockingly over prices. You cna usually get good deals at Macy's and BB&B. Macy's often has coupons in the newspaper and BB&B has the 20% off ones all the time.

HTH,

egoldber
06-07-2003, 08:31 AM
I just clean mine with dish soap and water. Just makes sure to wipe it dry and that it is thoroughly dry before storing, because standing water on the board can warp it.

MartiesMom2B
06-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Tammy:

I would not recommend my Calphalon baking sheets. They burn everything. I have stoneware to bake with and I'm happy with that. I get 20% off coupons all the time in the mail from Bed Bath & Beyond. If you like e-mail me and I'll mail them to you. Are you going to wait until you move to NC to buy everything or are you going to do it out there?

Sonia

etwahl
06-07-2003, 09:45 AM
I think we're going to buy a lot of stuff here, and not unpack it from the boxes. For one, because military pays for the move, and for two, stores are a lot further away from our little town in NC :( I just sent you a private email Sonia!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nohomama
06-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Like Beth, I use mild soap and water to clean my butcher block. If it seems particularly crudy, I go at it with a Chore Boy Golden Fleece scrubby. Whatever you do, don't ever immerse it in water. Every several months I also oil it or apply beeswax.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
06-07-2003, 11:41 AM
I got my Kitchenaid at Sam's Club. You can also get good deals on them at Amazon.com, but I don't think those are the professional models.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

nohomama
06-07-2003, 12:07 PM
We also have a Professional Kitchenaide stand mixer. Dan periodically goes through spurts of intense bread making so for us the heavy duty motor was a must. We purchased a refurbished unit from http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/store/ and have been very happy with it. It came with a full manufacturer's warranty and the price was significantly less expensive than we found elsewhere. Dan actually stripped the gears of the motor while making bread about 6 monthes after we got it and the company sent us another reconditioned mixer, again with a full warranty. We haven't had any problems since and we've had that mixer for nearly 5 years.

In terms of cutting boards, I like butcher block for most chopping and plastic for meat (although there have been studies that plastic boards hold onto food borne bacteria more than wooden ones, dispite the fact that they can be put in the dishwasher, etc.). I recently got Dan this board for his birthday.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=101621&RN=108

For cookie sheets, if I had the room I'd buy the oversized cookies sheets used in restaurants with a Silpat baking mat. Both can be found in restaurant supply stores, often for a very good price. For loaf pans I like the kind with square corners that look as though a sheet of metal has been taken and folded into a pan. I have various shapes, sizes, and brands of these and have liked all of them. I picked up several of them at T.J. Maxx.

If you bake much at all, I'd also recommend getting a baking stone. Until I read Sonia's post, it completely slipped my mind but I do think of baking stones as a kitchen essential.

And finally, I recently purchased a comforter from www.overstock.com . I have asthma and allergies so had to go with the Primaloft/faux down, but they have many down comforters available at VERY good prices. Here's a link to a down comforter with a 330 thread count outer shell and 14 inch baffles for $99 for any size.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=53010

Others I saw with similar construction but a 240 thread count shell were around $60. Thier shipping is also quite cheap, only $2.95 on all orders. I've ordered many things from them and have never had a problem but do make sure you read their return policy before you order from them. You must contact them for a return authorization number before sending anything back and merchandise must be returned in it's original packaging. As I said, I've ordered many things from them and dispite the pain-in-the-arse return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

Have fun shopping!

Marisa6826
06-07-2003, 12:15 PM
We have a John Boos wooden cutting board that is wonderful. It's really big, which is a drawback since I don't have a lot of counterspace. For quick jobs, I have a much smaller one (I think it's technically a cheese board) that I use.

To clean them, you're supposed to use a diluted bleach solution if you've been cutting raw meat on them. For just veggies, I use regular soap and water. Never use cooking oil to treat them. They go rancid. Use mineral oil, or as somebody said bees wax.

I have the Wms Sonoma cookie sheets. After spending money on cheaper ones, I decided to go ahead and drop the cash on good ones. It's SO worth it. Definitely go ahead and get the silpat liners, too. Spendy, but also worth it.

One other thing at Wms Sonoma that I have found nothing comparable to is their dish towels. Worth the money hands down. They're big, they suck up water and they don't fade.

I have a bunch of those BB&B coupons if you want them. Don't think the addy on it makes a difference. I overheard a conversation at their customer service desk once and apparently they accept them even if they're expired! Just tell the customer service desk you want to go on their mailing list. You will start getting the coupons all the time.

I got my goose down duvet there also. Was originally something like $400. When it was all said and done I paid about $70 with coupons and markdowns. Lands End and the Company Store have great deals. Check out www.currentcodes.com for coupons! Make sure you get the bafflestitched ones. Otherwise the down shifts to one side and the other party ends up with nothing!

I love C&B - was just there they other day. Not only are the reasonable, their stuff is nice looking and they have a good return policy. Have fun shopping!!

-m

Sandy
06-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Here is a website that has pretty good sales that may be worth checking out. It sells All Clad, Calphalon etc... And they have a clearance section that has an extra 10% off with a coupon code through 6/19/03.

www.cooking.com

Extra 10% Off All Clearance
Savings on top of incredible savings! Take an additional 10% off ALL Clearance Items!*
Use Coupon Code C95223 at checkout. Offer ends 6/19/03.
*Cannot be combined with other offers or applied to prior purchases. Limit one use per customer.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

MartiesMom2B
06-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, very fascinating and tells you when to avoid certian foods in restaurants. He says that you don't really need the good quality (heavy) Henkel and Wusthof knives because they are too heavy, too expensive, and too difficult to maintain. He says to get Global knives and he goes on further to say that the only knife that you really need is a chef's knife. Perhaps a flexible boning knife if you are planning to fillet fish or butcher your own meet. He says that the offset serrated knife is a good knife too.

I think I'm going to have to put a Global Chef knife on my to get one day, list. BTW, I looked it up on the internet and it retails for around $100.00. I just looked on E-Bay and the knives are considerably cheaper there.

Sonia

Marisa6826
06-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Sonia-

Isn't that an AWESOME book?! That was the reason I thought I would love the Global knives. I was SO disappointed when I tried it out. It just felt funny in my hand.

I've eaten at Les Halles several times. He's never there though.

If you like that book, pick up one called "The Fourth Star". It's even better!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609608088/qid=1055049016/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/104-7838426-7798314?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

-m

egoldber
06-08-2003, 09:04 AM
I think it is important to get the right size chefs knife. Henckels has several sizes. I have an 8" Henckels 4 star chefs knife, which is smaller than typical, but I have a small hand. I don't think it is too heavy at all and it is a joy to use. We got ours (granted several years ago) for around $70. But it is always best to try a knife in your hand to make sure it fits your hand and you are comfortable with. And I sort of agree that you only need a chefs knife. I use that, my paring knife and my bread knife 99% of the time.

MartiesMom2B
06-08-2003, 09:39 AM
He did say to make sure that the Chef knife fits perfectly in your hand. I wonder if I can find one that has a good fit, they are so cool looking! I'll have to ask my dad, who is in the CIA now, who told me to read the book. BTW, I'm not sure if I'll ever go to brunch again.

Sonia

Marisa6826
06-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Sonia-

Another good book is "The Making of a Chef". It's written by a guy that goes through the whole CIA training experience.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805061738/qid=1055089414/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-1612585-1569751?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"The Soul of a Chef" is a follow up to it and is pretty good, as well.

That one is actually what started my addiction to those kinds of books!

Which campus is your dad at? We went to Greystone for lunch on our honeymoon. It was fabulous!

-m

barbarhow
06-08-2003, 11:38 AM
DH and I are avid cooks. We swear by our Wusthof knives. The forged handled ones. Very important to get these as they will last a lifetime. We have the 10" chefs knife (actually 2 as we frequently cook together) and both a 3" and 4" paring knife and the bread knife. Totally love the Wusthof. Never put them in the dishwasher it will ruin the handles.
Love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and my cuisinart-have both the mini prep one and a standard.
I got a set of collanders from Wm. Sonoma for a bridal shower present. Use them all the time. They stay shiny and beautiful.
I make tomato sauces at the end of the summer and love my chinois and stand. It is a cone shaped fine mesh strainer. Awesome.
Can't think of anything wlse off the top of my head. Enjoy your loot!

August Mom
06-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I would highly recommend the Doughmakers cookie sheets. I've tried a lot of cookie sheets, inexpensive, expensive, non-stick, air-cushioned and the Doughmakers win hands down. They have a crackled metal finish which prevents sticking. I have found that they bake uniformly, clean up easily and are nicely sized. http://www.doughmakers.com/ My second choice cookie sheets are those made of stainless steel. I found them at the Corning/Revere outlet.

Shirale
06-08-2003, 09:36 PM
What a great thread!!!!
I seem to be the lone Cutco Fan! :-) I have a Henkels 4 star, a Henkels 5 star (liked the 4 star much better) and then DH bought me a Cutco set, with a bunch that I use, 2 that I haven't touched yet! But those knives fit perfectly into my hand and cut beautifully!
I am def a major Cuisinart (big and mini prep) fan, and well as Kitchenaid mixer!
Pyrex is just amazing, love my oxo peelers and can opener...glass mixing bowls in various sizes...what i really want are new pots and pans, I did not make the best choices for my Shower :-(
Enjoy all this purchasing...! oh, and the way to get a cupon from BBB is to buy something and make sure that they put you on their list, I get cupons all the time. if you want I can save you the next one I get and send it along...

August Mom
06-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Well, I'm the queen of kitchen gadgets, tools and appliances. I have quite a collection. I'll agree with others that I really like my Kitchen Aid mixer. However, this is not something that I use everyday. If you are really into it, you can add lots of accessories. You can shred and slice, make pasta, grind meat (and possibly some other things that I can't think of) with the appropriate attachments. Of course, if you are also getting a food processor, this is probably duplicative. If you are mainly looking for a mixer to mix cake batter or make cookies occasionally, it may not be worth it for you. It is an amazing appliance, though. You can beat egg whites and whip cream so much better and faster than with other mixers. I have a limited edition 5-quart model (essentially the current Professional 5) and I really prefer my mom's 4.5-quart model with the tilt-up head. This was the original design and I think that it's easier to get to the bowl and scrape it. On mine, the bowl moves up and down, but the head is stationary.

Microplanes are also nice, but not essential. And, I really like my Braun immersion blender. I also have a container that allows it to be used as a mini chopper, which I like when I need to do something small and don't want to wash my food processor. Food processor wise, I used to have a Cuisinart. I know have a Kitchen Aid. I like them both. The Cuisinart has more blades available, etc., but my Kitchen Aid does a great job.

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I really like is my cedar plank. It imparts a wonderful woody flavor to foods and makes things really moist. I generally cook fish, chicken or vegetables on it, but I've also cooked steak and pork tenderloin on it. I find that most things cooked on the cedar plank need about 40-50 minutes in the oven. So, this works really well with breastfeeding. I can get everything on the plank and feed DS while the food is in the oven. Then, when DH arrives home, I remove the plank and viola, our dinner is ready.

My other unusual kitchen item (if you feel like splurging) is a stovetop smoker. You put special wood chips in the bottom and put the smoker on the stove. It really gives the food a nice smoky flavor. However, this is definitely not something I use everyday, but it does impart a flavor that cannot be recreated with other kitchen tools.

As far as knives go, I think it really is personal preference once you get into the high-quality knife brands. I have Henckels Four-Star. My favorite knife is a 6" Chef's knife. I have small hands and find that it fits and feels best. I also have a larger Chef's knife, but I don't use it nearly as much. I also have several paring knives that I use all the time. I don't use the bread knife much and I only use the carving tools occasionally. Depending on which knives you decide you really want, you may be better off buying a set. We found it to be cheaper to get some extra knives in a set than buying the pieces individually. It really depends how many and which knives you want to buy and whether most/all of those are in a set too. And, I agree with Beth, don't buy the knives at Williams Sonoma (unless you have a gift certificate or something). You can get much better prices at department stores.

mom2kandj
06-11-2003, 02:11 AM
Henckel's 4-Star rule in our household. The 5-Star line is prettier, but didn't fit in our hands. If you aren't looking for a set, you just need one knife to get by with. EIGHT INCH CHEF. If you are looking to expand, we like: 4" paring, 6" slicer (not as tall as a chef knife), santouko (cross between chef and japanese cleaver, MY FAVE!), bread knife, and steel.

I worked at Williams-Sonoma between marriage and the birth of kids and I learned A LOT about kitchenware! We love our Calphalon(only two pieces NON STICK) though most people hate it because they can't cook in it! Back to WS, if any of you have the time to do a part time gig(as few as 4 hours a week), this is a great deal! I got up to a 40% discount on most items except those that were on sale(ending in 9 cents) or had a plug(electrics) and on those items, the discount was still 20%. Not to mention that the discount was for WS, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, and Chambers Linen! OMG! I wasn't working for the money, I was working for the discount! Well, that is in the past now, because all my time is with the kids, but at least I still have friends to call in a pinch when I need special $10 bottles of imported peppercorns!

Favorite gadget - garlic peeler - looks like a hollow plastic cannoli. Pop in a clove and roll on you counter. Shake out the clove and voila, no paper peel. $6

Rose
mom 2 Katie (30 months)
and Jack (14 months)

flagger
06-11-2003, 04:14 AM
Here are our must-haves for the kitchen:

Not sure of which "name" of the Kithenaid, but ours has a 525 watt motor and a six quart mixing bowl. We have the porcelan coated dough hook and mixing paddle with a wire wisk. Ms. Flagger loves to bake at Christmas time (like 400-500 cookies, pieces of fudge, divinity, etc.) so it is her best friend. We have taken up making fresh bread and pizza lately and using the dough hook is wonderful.

Since we are into pizza, we recommend the square pizza stone from Williams-Sonoma. It just sits in our oven on the bottom rack most of the time, but our 'zza has come out so much better since we made that purchase.

We second the immersion blender or 'boat motor' as Emeril calls it. I use it at least once a week.

We love good mashed potatoes and I cannot say enough about our potato ricer. Since we bought it, we have never had smooth fluffier mashed taters!

We have a mandoline, but never use it, though if we entertained more I could see it coming in handy.

As far as knives, a forged knife is more preferable to a stamped one. You have to go with which feels better weight wise in your own hands. We could go with either the Wustofs or the Henckels.

As far as cleaning a butcher block cutting board, soap and water works well, but I so Alton Brown take a hand sander to his after a few years of use. He also recommends one plastic board for cutting meat, chicken, etc. and the wood board for everything else.