PDA

View Full Version : Pink Amoxicillin - What a mess!

Mom2Miri
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Any experienced moms have suggestions on how to handle that pink amoxicillin? My 3 month old just came down with her first ear infection and the doctor prescribed that pink liquid. We've already stained everything in sight during the first two doses. Between her spitting it out, knocking the dropper away, chewing on everything with her pink stained mouth afterwards.... She won't take a bottle or I'd be tempted to mix it into that. Why would the manufacturer choose such a stainable bright color anyways?!

Any suggestions on how to soothe her would also be appreciated!

Thanks,
Helen
Mom to Mirielle 2/25/03

Karenn
06-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Oh yes, Colin's clothes were pink for a couple of weeks! The good news is that the stains came out of all of his clothes. I washed them on cold. Occassionally, I used Shout stain gel stick on them, but I often didn't need to.

As for soothing, we got Colin through his first ear infection by listening to music and watching a lot of Baby Einstein. He was a little older, but the videos would distract him and keep him calm so that he would eventually fall asleep. I don't know what I would have done without them!

Hope Mirielle's feeling better soon!

ddmarsh
06-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi - Yes it is such a mess, sorry you had a hard time. There is a method that has a name and while I'm not sure of the name the technique is to put the medicine in over at the side, right into the cheek. This usually works really well for us. Another method is to shoot it way back in the mouth, obviously not so you are gagging them :) but enough back in there not there is no choice but to swallow. All of my children have had ear infections and subsequent tubes and these methods usually work really well for us. I know it is so difficult and you want to make it as pleasant as possible for baby and I think if you practice either or both of these ways you can slide it in there pretty painlessly.

BTW, I never thought I'd be a fan of anything with such obnoxious commercials but I have found OxyClean to get almost anything out of our clothes. Most of the time I don't even soak them, just put a scoop in with the laundry. As a matter of fact Lily had amoxycillin when she was a couple of months old and it got on a white sleeper and the OxyClean got it right out. End of commercial :)and I promise I'm in no way affiliated with them!

Good luck -

Debbie
Mommy to 3 boys, 1 girl