PDA

View Full Version : post-post-post-surgical itching?!

josephsmom
06-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Well, this seems strange. 17 1/2 months post-partum, and lately I've had lots of itching around my c-section scar. I don't allow myself to actually scratch it, but I rub it raw at times. I'm guessing that some nerves have been slow to regenerate and that's what's causing the itching. I don't know what else to think. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions on how to manage it? Do I need to call my doctor? Thanks!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

egoldber
06-09-2003, 01:26 PM
I also find that my scar periodically gets very itchy. :( So it is normal. On the upside, I now have a lot more feeling around my scar than even a few months ago.

HTH,

josephsmom
06-09-2003, 01:28 PM
I love it when we're on the boards at the same time, Beth! It's like instant messaging. So you've had longterm numbness and itching too? Have you tried applying anything topically to help with the itching? Have you felt the need to consult a doc?

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

MegND95
06-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Mine is really itchy from time to time and I am almost three years past my c/s! I was told to try Eucerin to help ease the itch. And my scar is still numb in spots and I have also been told that I might always be numb.

egoldber
06-09-2003, 01:44 PM
LOL!!! True! I asked my OB at my 6 week check up (AGES ago...) about the numbness. She said feeling gradually come back on its own and that generally what amount of feeling you have back at one year is all you get back. But I have found that I have continued to get some feeling back as time goes on. I have never put anything on it, but I would say that I have back almost all the feeling except for immediately around the incision line itself. It has also faded tremendously.

My itching was never so bad that I felt the need to ask a doctor or apply anything topically. If it is really bad for you, I would definitely call the OB.

HTH,

josephsmom
06-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Meghan. I do have some Eucerin around, and I'll try it.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

chrissyhowie
06-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Itching of scars is very common. When wound healing occurs, all sorts of cell-mediators (like histamine) are released, causing an ingrowth and proliferation of new blood vessels (this is why the scar is often a dark purple color at first) and nerves. As the nerves regenerate, they can be hypersensitive, causing an itching, burning or tender sensation. Usually it will resolve when the scar matures, which often takes anywhere from 12 to 18 months.

Unfortunately there aren't that many great therapies for the itching. Lotions and creams can help by reducing dryness. Itching is considered a form of pain, but standard anti-inflammatory pain medications aren't that effective for it. Some people have success using anti-histamines. If it gets really bad, sensory agents like doxepin that has anti-histamine properties (traditionally an anti-depressant -- and, no, it's not being used because you are depressed over the itching!) can be prescribed. There's apparently a doxepin cream to rub onto the scar that's supposed to be effective as well.

So bottom line -- it should get better with time on its own. BUT if it is driving you absolutely bonkers, definitely speak with your doctor about it. Rubbing your scar raw sounds pretty darn painful!

josephsmom
06-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Thanks! It's nice to have "a doctor in the house." :-)

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

StaceyKim
06-10-2003, 08:35 AM
haven't had the itching yet (only 7 wks since c/s) but i DO have numbness. thought it was only me. good to know it's normal and common.

chrissyhowie
06-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Gosh, my c-section scar's getting itchy just reading this thread! (It's like yawning...can't help myself when I see someone else yawn.)

Gotta go and scratch...:+