PDA

View Full Version : jury duty

calmar
06-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Have any of you stay at home moms been called for jury duty? I have asked to be dismissed because I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. Has anyone been excused because of this? If not, what did you do? I just don't see how I can sit in a courtroom all day without pumping. Thanks!

emilyf
06-10-2003, 08:22 AM
This just came up recently in MD, I think they were trying to make it a law, not sure what the result was. I think most jurisdictions will automatically excuse you though.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

mollyi
06-10-2003, 08:28 AM
I am a stay-at-home mom and I was called for jury duty a few months ago. At the time, I was still breastfeeding Andy (though he was over a year old and in reality only nursing a few times a day). I wrote in to be excused, explaining that I was breastfeeding and that I did not have child care. They excused me - I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise. I really can't see how they could NOT excuse you since you are exclusively breastfeeding. I guess if they don't excuse you, you could always show up for jury selection with your daughter and nurse her - I bet they would dismiss you then! :)

Molly - Mommy to Andy 2/8/02

C99
06-10-2003, 08:36 AM
I would be seriously pissed off if I was dismissed from jury duty b/c I was BFing my son in the courtroom. Illinois laws protect breastfeeding in public.

cara1
06-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I was excused.

egoldber
06-10-2003, 08:45 AM
I have often wondered what would happen if I got called. I am no longer breastfeeding, but it's not like I have full-time child care I could use at a moment's notice. And I am SURE the judge would not be amused at the antics of my 22 month old. :) And the pittance you get for jury duty wouldn't begine to cover the costs of child care.

Have any SAHMs been in this situation?

flagger
06-10-2003, 09:17 AM
In Texas, you can automatically be dismissed if you are the primary caretaker for a dependent under the age of 10. All you do is return the summons with that reason marked off.

sweetbasil
06-10-2003, 09:26 AM
One of the few laws/protections in our state that actually makes sense! ;)

Rachels
06-10-2003, 10:41 AM
There is lots of info about this in the Support and Advocacy BF forums on www.mothering.com/discussions .

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momathome
06-10-2003, 10:50 AM
I was called for jury duty in the fall in PA and wrote a note asking to be excued because of being the primary caregiver for my then 1 year-old and 4 year-old dds, combined with the fact that we had just gotten a new puppy 2 weeks earlier who was very high maintenance at the time. I also pointed out that all of my family, who were the only ones I trusted for childcare, lived in New Jersey. Well, needless to say, my little sob story worked and I was excused from jury duty. Good luck!
-Lauren

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2003, 11:00 AM
This website has a sumary of laws pertaining to breastfeeding:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/summary.html

You can search for your state and see if there is a law that will exempt you. (this page also shows which states have laws about breastfeeding in public, interesting to read through)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Melanie
06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
In California you just check a box for breastfeeding. There was another one for primary caregiver of a child under a certain age. I checked both so they won't bug me for a few years. My mom didn't get called for probably around 10 years when I was young.

kransden
06-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Well you have to look at the defendant's point of view. A screaming child might affect your case. If my life was on the line, I wouldn't want a baby to distract the jurors.

I had jury duty when I was 7 months pregnant. I know MO has a law stating children under a certain age couldn't be in the court room. So since the baby couldn't be in the courtroom, it would be a moot point.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

stella
06-10-2003, 08:21 PM
That sounds like a medical reason to me - and a darn good one. In Texas, there is an exemption if you are the only caretaker of a child under the age of 12 (or is it 10?). This means that if you work and have child care for the child, you are not able to use the exemption, but if you are the SAHM or Dad or grandmother - or the daycare worker for that matter, you can be excused.

I would go ahead and ask my ob/ped's office for a note about the bf thing because what if you get an obtuse judge who doesn't get the biology of it all - and in all fairness, although I have bf two babies, I did not know all the details of nursing - like that your breasts would explode without regular feedings.

Okay, so my breasts have never actually exploded (just deflated LOL), but I have felt that it was just around the corner MANY times!! Especially in the early months.

I would pursue it as a medical condition.

Good Luck!!

COElizabeth
06-10-2003, 10:05 PM
In Denver there is child care provided right across the street from the courthouse, so being a SAHP doesn't get you out of jury duty. I am not sure about breastfeeding, though. I was called when I was pregnant, and I was so worried about having to sit through a trial when I was having to go to the bathroom every few minutes, but fortunately I was not selected!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02