PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone own a Chrysler Pacifica? Can you tell me about it

MelissaTC
06-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I saw the Chrysler Pacifica and now I am in love. If you own one, can you tell me about it? Things you love, hate, etc... Thanks so much!

mamahill
06-10-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't own one, but it's our goal to. We have driven it, though, and will drive it again this Friday (a friend of ours works for Chrysler). It is BEAUTIFUL! It seats 6 - 2 captains chairs in the front, two in the middle, two seats that fold down in the back for extra cargo space. All seats are very plush and comfy. In the brochure, it shows a woman easily crossing her legs in the second row of captain's chairs. I did it myself and there was plenty of leg room to spare. Hmmm, what else... It sits almost as high as a minivan, which surprised and pleased me. It drives more like a big car than a minivan or SUV. The rear window is a little small and there is a bigger blind spot, but if you be sure to use all your mirrors, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. It rides like a dream. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Dh and I think we've found the solution to our anti-minivan-anti-suv-but-will-need-a-bigger-car-than-what-we-have dilemma - the Pacifica! Plus, I can't help but think I will be quite the sporty soccer mom in that thing!;)

CherylT
06-10-2003, 03:41 PM
I haven't been on the boards in a while, but wouldn't you know I take a peek on the day this Q is posted? I have both driven a Pacifica and been a passenger in one on several occasions (a family member has one and works on them). I think it is a beautiful car, has very comfortable seating in the first 2 rows, the GPS is really cool as are all the 'amenities' that exist on this upscale car. My dislikes are that there are IMO terrible blindspots (even checking the mirrors I still felt I was taking chances when changing lanes). The pickup is kind of slow - of course it is a heavy vehicle, but for the money the car should have a better engine. The 3rd row is pretty useless. I barely fit into it and then I had to move the 2nd row seat in order to get out. It was also uncomfortable, hard and kind of slanted forward. I asked about this, I was told that the 3rd row isn't really meant for adults and isn't meant to be used on a regular basis. This car isn't really designed for families, rather for people (like grandparents) who occasionally need the extra seating space (like for carting grandkids). I also don't think it has much storage space if the 3rd row isn't folded down and even when it is folded down, I don't think it folds flat. Anyway, it is a really cool car, but I much prefer my Odyssey - no blindspots, way better pickup, usable (and fold flat!) 3rd row and awesome storage. HTH - definitely check one out yourself if/when you can.

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

MelissaTC
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the input. The Odyssey is on my list as well but DH is stuck on the MPV. I am not keen on a minivan at all. I have an Explorer and love it but have had it for some time and need something new. I am definitely going to check one out... I really want the Volvo but we can't afford that right now, especially since we are in the midst of $5,500 painting/repairs to our home!

CherylT
06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
I forgot to mention that the Pacifica is pretty high priced (for a Chrysler anyway). I believe they start around $37,000. The one I drove was about $45,000. I think the price is the other reason why they aren't after the 'family' vehicle market :). Anyway, I suppose for those with 2 kids or less and the money to spare it'd be a nice ride. For those of us who dream of more than 2 kids and want to spare our money, we'll look elsewhere. Actually, I would have a VERY hard time shelling out that much money for a Chrysler product regardless. Good luck car shopping (always fun!).

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

mamahill
06-11-2003, 04:28 PM
They are pretty pricey, but I was driving one marked at $35,000, and that was with the premium sound and leather seats, among other features. It didn't have the navigational system or DVD player, but it wasn't lacking in features. Of course, I live in the SF Bay Area where the auto market is REALLY hurting, so maybe the price was reflective of that. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I agree, though, that $45k is just too much for a family car.