PDA

View Full Version : Passy and a Spare?

blnony
06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
My child has started a new thing, that is cute, but I'm not sure all that good. In order to sleep now, she has to have a passy in her mouth and a spare in her hand. She just clutches it like its made a gold, and will sleep peacefully for hours with TWO passys.
I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a hard habit to break. We've pretty much eliminated daytime use, except if she is really tired or in a new place that scares her.
But why two? I just don't get it.

beckyr88
06-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Don't have any advice, but the girl I used to sit for would go to bed with one paci in her mouth and one in EACH of her hands...just in case, I guess!!!

good luck!!

mama2be
06-10-2003, 01:43 PM
...she's learned early to be prepared!!!! :)...and ready for anything!!! I think a wise women she will be :)...

nohomama
06-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Lola is the same way. She will go to sleep with just one pacifier but prefers having two. She occassionally even crams both in her mouth and gleefully shouts "Two nukkies!" I think it's remarkable she can still speak with two in her mouth.

Andrea S
06-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Andrew does this too. I keep wishing he would get attach to the bear in his crib not the extra passy.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

egoldber
06-10-2003, 01:51 PM
I once heard a story of a child that needed FOUR pacifiers to sleep, one in the mouth, one in each hand and one clutched between the two hands. This started because her parents left several pacifiers scattered around her crib in case she lost one at night. So you may want to beware of going that route.

If this is a habit you want to break (two vs one) then I would do it now. It will be MUCH harder to break later. But if it doesn't bother you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have learned my lesson recently too. Sarah has her lamb lovie. In an attempt to introduce a second lamb (since the first one is getting to be in REALLY bad shape) I started giving her both together. Unfortunaterly, now even though she prefers the original lamb, she WANTS them both! I just hope that when the original finally disintegrates in the washer that the second one will be acceptable enough by then. Sigh.

sweetbasil
06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Kellen is a three-paci kid- but they're only allowed in his bed. One in his mouth, one in each hand. He's like a fine-wine conisseur- tastes them all before he's sure he's got the appropriate one (it's really kinda funny). I was worried a little about breaking him of this, but we're using the "big boy" terminology again, and I think the end is near for the paci phase. With the new baby almost here, I didn't want Kellen to have to be going through all kinds of transitions, so I'm not fighting the pacis for now, but when he offers them to us at his bedtime, we tell him that we're big boys/girls and we don't need pacis. Here lately he's been asking us if his older friends use pacis, and we tell him no, that big kids don't use pacis. So I see the light at the end of the tunnel- and like most other transitions, I think he's gonna ease out of this one on his own pretty soon.

newbelly2002
06-10-2003, 03:04 PM
The lovie issue has come to a front this week.

After months of trying to introduce a lovie, and routine rejection of each of the many soft blankets and animals bought for just that purpose I made the following discovery. Two nights ago I tried to lay Dante down to sleep. No go. It was a screaming fest, with him scaling the crib rails, tears coming down his face inconsolable. I tried nursing him; he bit me. Finally, I remembered that I had washed an elephant beanie bag/teether (with four large rubber feet) toy that morning, a toy we had recently noticed that he had developed a fondness for. I dug in the machine and pulled it out. Then I offered it to Dante, soaking wet and all. Well, the little guy just squeezed that elephant tight, threw up one arm and his neck into "sleeping position" and closed his eyes. I never felt more useless in my entire natural life.

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

egoldber
06-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Paula, you can't look at it like that! That elephant is your ticket to restful nights when traveling, easily soothed bumps and bruises and some well deserved rest for you! Just make sure you RUN NOW and buy five more and rotate them faithfully, so that he doesn't become attached to just ONE!

LisaS
06-10-2003, 03:53 PM
My DD sleeps with appx 10 pacis in the crib. We have many, many pacis and on any given naptime or night, there are 4-12 strategically placed throughout the crib.

When we removed the bumpers from DDs crib, they started falling out of the slats when she moved around - and she is an active sleeper (she used to only sleep w/2 - 1 in her mouth, 1 in her hand), but when she started waking up looking for them and couldn't reach them, I decided to leave her as many as possible in the crib.

I thought abt taking them away altogether b/c I was so annoyed with having to go give them to her in the middle of the night and I know she'll give them up eventually, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

The spare paci's in bed definitely works though for the most part. Occasionally, she used to throw them out so I'd come and give them to her but she hasn't done that in months.

Overall, its a great comfort and an easy one to replace. My DD could care less which paci it is as long as she has it in her mouth when she's tired.

cara1
06-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Yeah, DS is a 2-3 binky kind of guy. And he rotates them in his mouth like Kellen. One in, next one in, in, out, in out. Takes the spare and fiddles with it, bangs it against his face, etc. He'll be okay with one, but much prefers more. And we're pretty good about the "just in the crib" thing, but if one is near the edge, he'll walk up and take it out. Takes some convincing to return it.

blnony
06-10-2003, 10:17 PM
That is quite a feat! Thats good material for America's Funniest Home Videos! :)
So far Audrey hasn't done that, but she did try to get two in, and it wouldn't go, so she got mad threw it out of the crib. Only to regret the decision in two seconds. :)

AngelaS
06-11-2003, 05:31 AM
My oldest was attached to a soft Carters blankey. We owned about 8 of them! She could sleep with any of them w/no problems. :)

My second got attached to a stuffed Russ Berrie doll and I SCOURED eBay for several months until I found a spare. Whew! I'm trying not to stress about only having 2....

Oh and the passy stories are TOO sweet! My little cousin needed three also, but she always rubbed the nipple of one of them against her nose to fall asleep. How cute is that?? :D