PDA

View Full Version : finally staying at home!

ismommy
06-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi All,

I have posted infrequently in the past and since I am a bit shy - I was hesitant to post this. But since you all are so helpful with everything else I figured I would try.

At long last I am staying at home with my dd who is 20 months old. We live in Northern VA and I am just wondering about finding playgroups and other free or inexpenive activites for us. I would love to take classes with her but will have to limit these since we are now on a very tight budget. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Also I have seen other small BB gatherings and am wondering of there are any planned for the DC metro area? If there isnt yet would anyone be interested?

Helene
mommy to Isabella

ddmarsh
06-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Congratulations - how exciting! As for activities, how about story time at your local library (usually there is one for toddlers specifically) and also at Barnes and Noble if you have one. These are well done and free :). There is also a national organization called MOPS which stands for Mothers of Preschoolers that may have a local chapter in your area. The chapters are at local churches and the programs are run with activities for the children and informative, educational programs for the moms. I have attended one here and was amazed at how well done it was. There are also a couple of other national moms groups whose names I don't recall, someone else may know. Also our local park offers incredible programs for toddlers and preschoolers - they run all year long and include things like making a rose wreath, nature walks, etc. You may be amazed at the activities that you will find for the two of you to do - have fun!

Debbie

egoldber
06-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Congrats! Where do you live in Northern VA? There are quite a few of us in the DC metro area. There has been some talk about having a DC area gathering, but no formal plans yet!

I live sort of between Fairfax City and Vienna. I know there is a mom in Alexandria, someone in Centerville/Chantilly area and also in Woodbridge. And there are a fair number in DC and Maryland.

Welcome! Don't be shy! We're very nice. :)

ismommy
06-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi,

Thanks so much for the response. I have been redaing the boards for awhile and know you are all very nice. We live in Springfield. I am so excited to be at home with Isabella. I have known before we had children I wanted to be home with them. It is a bit scary finincially though so in addition to playgroups and activites - money saving tips are ver welcome.

Thanks again.

Helene
mommy to Isabella

simplemama
06-11-2003, 11:22 AM
what? what? there has been a talk about a get-togeter in the metro area????? i didn't know!

i'm in No. VA also, and i belong to a local chapter of MOMS Club. MOMS Club is a support group for SAHMs, and each chapter creates its own calendar of events monthly, filled with playgroups, park-dates, outings, Moms' nights-out, workshops, etc.

i'm glad i joined, because it has been a great outlet for me as well as a good opportunity for my DS. i really do not want to spend a few hundred dollars every few months to take my DS to gym classes -- i don't think he needs them, as long as i take him to outside/playgrounds for physical activities and to playdates for social interactions.

in any case, here's the main web site for MOMS Club.

http://www.momsclub.com/

you can do a search on the chapter closest to you. if you don't see one close to you, don't despair, there still may be one really close to you, but the info may be just unavailable on the web site. e-mail to the main inquiry address and you will get a reply.

there's an annual fee (it was about $20) for administrative purposes.

local libraries are also a great source -- they have story-time, kids' activities, etc., available mostly for free. some bookstores also have story-time, excercise-time, etc. borders near me does (free!); you should call and find out.

good luck!

egoldber
06-11-2003, 12:10 PM
I looked into the Moms Club when I first moved here, but then I lucked into my playgroup, so I never really pursued it. But it sounds terrific! If you don't have a playgroup, you really need to find one!!!

The library and bookstore story times are good. Many of them seemed geared more for pre-schoolers and I have found that Sarah doesn't do so well at these. But we try to go to the library and get board books at least every other weeks.

We also take classes through the Fairfax County Parks and Rec. It is usually only $40 for a 6 or 8 week class, which isn't a bad deal.

I have heard that the Reston Zoo is good, but I have never been. And the National Zoo is free, so you can't beat that. There is also the Aquarium, which bizarrely enough, is in the basement of the Commerce building. It is a pretty lame aquarium, but Sarah enjoys it. Sarah always enjoys going into DC. As long as it isn't raining, there are a number of kid friendly activities.

And of course the parks are terrific in Fairfax County.

mama2be
06-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Debbie...
Congrats how exciting. I moved from that area and have been lucky to meet Beth, if you all get something planned up there I'd be so jealous everyone seems so cool!!! I'll be up for about 5 days in July if anyone si up to a meeting then.

My brother raised his daughter in that area and he is such a nature lover (as is all my family) that I swear he raised her spending nothing :)...He used to take her OFTEN to a petting zoo over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge somewhere in Maryland. They would go very often, enough where I think she knew the critters by name. I don't know where it is exactly but they loved it. I'll ask him!!!

If you ladies would like to plan a shin dig in Alexandria there on the water I'd love to join and help plan it. There is a huge picnic area on the Potomac, Main Street...a children's boutique...