PDA

View Full Version : Cool places to stay in NJ with a 22-month old

mary b
06-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Hi all,

We are going to be in the Wildwood/Ocean City/Cape May area for a couple nites at the end of July. Any great places to stay with a 2 year old? We are only going to be there a couple days and since most of the trip is paid due to work/family, we may be able to afford nicer than normal for us hotels. I know most of them aren't chains so I am looking for guidance. Any places to avoid?

What about any cool activities? I have never been to this area before so I am looking forward to it.

TIA,

Mary

mary b
06-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Bumping this up so it won't get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks,
Mary

mam615
06-11-2003, 03:30 PM
You might want to check out www.doowopusa.org -- the Doo Wop Preservation League. Wildwood Crest has a bunch of hotels from the 50s and 60s (called doo wop style I guess) that are really cool -- lots of neon, Hawaiiana, and space age stuff. I think there is a trolley tour to check them out. I've never done this but would like to some time.

JustMare
06-11-2003, 09:04 PM
I'm not too familiar with Ocean City, but Wildwood is a party place. I used to go there when I was much younger (19) and it's full of kids cruising the strip and partying. There is one section for families, but I can't recall which it is, perhaps North Wildwood?

I'd say your best bet out of the three, would be Cape May. It's a historical town with many bed and breakfasts. Much more tranquil and relaxing. I've never been there as my family tends to go directly towards Atlantic City (can't get my MIL away from the slots!:))

There are so many NJ people here - where are you ladies when we need you????? :) They would be able to offer much more detailed information.

LD92599
06-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Wildwood Crest is geared more towards families. I've stayed in Wildwood Crest a few times but it was years ago...can't remember for the life of me the names of the places. As others have said, most of the hotels in the shore towns are "mom n pop" places vs chain hotels.

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

mam615
06-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Oh, yeah, there is also a ferry that goes from Cape May to Lewes Delaware. That might be fun for the little one. It's about $25 each way for a car, but much cheaper I'm sure for walk-ons if you just want to take the ride and turn around. It runs a lot on summer weekends. It takes 70 minutes each way. They have food, but you should probably bring your own -- it's pretty bad.

momathome
06-11-2003, 09:47 PM
With such a small child, I would avoid Wildwood and go to Ocean City. It is much more family-oriented with a very nice boardwalk with a lot of rides geared toward toddlers. Not really sure about good places to stay because we rent a house every year in Sea Isle City for a week - not too familiar with hotels. Good luck and have a blast - I love the Jersey Shore!
-Lauren

emilyf
06-12-2003, 08:11 AM
We are going to be in Ocean City, NJ next weekend actually- I will let you know if we uncover any fun spots.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02