PDA

View Full Version : My baby's congested--do you have any tips? What about a crib wedge?

justlearning
06-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Since yesterday, Ethan has had a cold and I was wondering if you have any tips for dealing with this. I've been using the nasal aspirator (he hates that!), tried saline drops, tried having him sleep in the swing (so he'd be upright to breathe better), etc. but was wondering if you have any other tips for dealing with a baby's cold. One thing I was looking into tonight was getting a crib wedge like this one: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=15761&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=15761&change=117

Even though he will likely be better before I could receive the wedge (I'm stuck with having to shop online only due to living in a small town), I was thinking it might be nice to have for next time he gets sick if it'd help him sleep better.

Any input on the crib wedge or tips in general for dealing with a cold would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to see my baby not feeling well! :(

mom2kandj
06-13-2003, 01:08 AM
Our ped suggested rolling receiving blankets or a towel and putting them between the mattress and the metal spring support stuff to elevate one end of the mattress! No cost to you! Also, ask your ped if he likes cool mist humidifiers. It may not do anything for the congestion, but it will keep the room and baby's skin from drying out too much! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie(30 months)
and Jack (14 months)

kristie
06-13-2003, 01:13 AM
Hi there,
When baby has a cold it is the worst! I always feel so bad for them. I tried everything you did when my DD was congested. Instead of buying the wedge, I just used pillows under the crib mattress. Just be sure not to use to many. I don't know how old Ethan is but you don't want him to be able to climb out of the crib if it is raised too high with too may pillows. Another thing I did when I used pillows under the crib mattress was checking on my daughter frequently because she seemed to slide around alot more.
Other than that, I have read that the best thing to do is to suction out their noses and use drops. I also read that suctioning out baby's nose too much can actually make it worse, so don't over do it!
Well give the pillow under the mattress a try and see how it works until you get your "wedge" pillow. I found it to help. I would have tried the swing but we never had one, DD didn't like them. I did buckle her into her infant carseat once and let her sleep in that once when she was congested, it seemed to help.

Good Luck!
Kristie

4S Ranch
06-13-2003, 01:47 AM
I learned a great trick from a doc in London when my daughter had croup at 6 months. I squeeze some saline drops into a thimble or small container, then use a tiny syringe (without the needle of course) to soak up about a 1/4 inch of saline (on my syringe, about 0,1 ml). Then I hold one nostril closed while I insert the saline into the other nostril and vice versa.

Seems like all the saline bottles (even Little Noses) and aspirators are rather large for a baby's nose! At least compared to my little syringe. It also seems more controlled than squirting a big bottle.

Those little boogers just come right out a few minutes later, I find. I've never even used the nasal aspirator.

You can also make your own saline drops using pickling salt - I think I saw a recipe in "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears.

Shelly

smomom
06-13-2003, 08:37 AM
I swear by my warm mist vaporizer when Sage is congested. My ped says the warm air is best, but when baby gets older you get into the safety issues of having a vaporizer of steaming water that can be tipped over so a cool air humidifier is usually recommended. I add a drop or two of eucalyptus oil, close his door so the moisture really accumlates, and he's breathing easy by morning.

Once he gets older I'll make the switch to cold air, but for now I like the warm air the best.

Ooops, I almost forgot. Sometimes I will put telephone books under his crib mattress to elevate his head slightly to relieve some pressure.

I hope that helps and I hope he's better soon!

nitaghei
06-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi!

Try putting phone books under the mattress to elevate the head. It works just the same way as the wedge.

We just got over a cold - and I spent two nights sleeping on the couch holding him up. He slept, that is! I didn't.

Nita

daisymommy
06-13-2003, 10:11 AM
In addition to the other great advice here, we LOVE the DEX brand crib wedge that BRU sells ($12.00)--it looks like the exact same one you are asking about. We got it when Josh was sick with a cold, and sleeping miserably. It helped so much! He actually got some relief and slept for hours.
Also, go to Dr. Sears website and look in the Medicine Chest area. It helps you pick an over the counter cold medicine, and gives safe dosage amounts. I thought it was strange to do this, but everytime I called the Ped. when Josh is sick they ask if I've tried a decongestant, Tylenol, etc. I love Infants Tylenol Cold.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089900.asp

Marisa6826
06-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Anne-

You can also try running a hot shower for about 15-20 minutes in a closed bathroom to create steam.

Bring the baby into the steamy bathroom, read some books and come out after 5-10 minutes.

It really helps with congestion.

Hope your little guy feels better soon. Sophie was sick a few weeks ago and it was horrible!

-m

Marisa6826
06-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Amy

I think Ethan's too little for any OTC stuff! My ped wouldn't let me give Sophie any cold stuff and she's six months old.

-m

daisymommy
06-13-2003, 01:33 PM
OOPPSS! Didn't notice Ethan's birthdate on the bottom. Yeah, he's too little. But when Josh was around 3-4 months the Ped. had me giving him infants Robitussin because he was so congested and coughing so bad he couldn't eat or sleep. At 6 months we gave him Tylenol cold. But I totally understand everybody is comfortable with different things. Saline nose drops and aspirator ar edefinetly safer than taking meds. when they're younger.

Marisa6826
06-13-2003, 03:52 PM
My husband makes fun of how much I believe in Western Medicine and the theory of "better living through chemistry"!

I was SO ready to give Sophie the Little Colds stuff. I just was afraid I'd do some sort of irreparable harm if I did. When it comes to my health I have no problem going against "recommended dosages" (have taken many a 3 or 4 Advil dosage) - but with Sophie - no way!

-m

mharling
06-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Anne -
I'm right with you; ds has a cold too. We've had lots of success with the saline drops. I'm going to try some of the suggestions posted here as well. Thanks for posting this!

Here's hoping our little guys feel better soon! :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550