PDA

View Full Version : Pepcid

jd11365
06-13-2003, 06:12 PM
I stuck to my guns and took the baby back to the ped. He prescribed Pepcid suspension. Would you believe it was $95? Good thing we get reimbursed for most of it! The one ped (I've been toggling between two) didn't want to do anything, but this one said to give it a try...if it didn't help he would send her for further testing. I guess that's better than just watching her suffer. The poor thing chokes, spits up, cries after eating...it's pitiful! The only thing is I really hate to medicate...she's only 6 weeks...I was trying to avoid it, but I can't watch her suffer anymore. I'll be giving it to her at her 11pm and 11am feedings...I hope it helps! Has anyone else used prescription Pepcid suspension?

Marisa6826
06-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Jamie-

Did you ask why he prescribed Pepcid and not Zantac? The Zantac is less than $20/mo for us.

Might be worth a phone call. Sometimes doctors prescribe out of habit and the majority of them are CLUELESS when it comes to the cost of them.

By the way, it will take probably about a week of giving it to Kayla before you see a significant difference. Also, the antacids only stop the pain, not the spitting up.

Try keeping her upright at least 20 minutes after feeding. We were also told to try and keep Sophie on her right side afterward since it helps the stomach empty quicker.

Good luck!

-m

jd11365
06-13-2003, 09:53 PM
That's what the pharmacist asked, but it was Friday after 12 and the peds office was closed. I felt guilty making her go through the weekend in pain if the Pepcid was going to help...though shelling out $95 bucks for a script takes you back...so I just went with it this time. If this works, I will definitely ask for the Zantac the next time...

BTW...thanks for letting me know about it taking a week to kick in...I just gave the first dose to her have been staring at her waiting for something magical to happen...lol!

nigele
06-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Wow, I've never heard of giving a baby Pepcid. My DS has reflux and has been on Zantac and Prevacid. If it makes you feel any better, we have to pay a $54 co-pay for the Prevacid. :o