PDA

View Full Version : Hip pain - any suggestions?

KathyO
06-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Okay, so I'm not quite four months along, and I'm dreading the point when I have to start sleeping on my side, because this time around (it's a second pregnancy), I have started in with hip pain, particularly at night, and it's really uncomfortable!

It's not the weight gain - I've gained less than I did at this point the first time - and I am not, nor have ever been, a devotee of any really joint-pounding sports like running or high-impact aerobics. I walk lots, always have, and do light biking. And the relaxin (or whatever they're called) hormones can't have kicked in this early, have they?

I've tried sleeping with a pillow between my thighs/knees, but that doesn't really seem to make any difference. Acetaminophen has helped, and I know it's kosher for preggos, but I don't want to be using it week in, week out. I'm open to suggestions - anyone???

Tossing and turning,

KathyO

Marisa6826
06-14-2003, 04:16 PM
My hips hurt the entire pregnancy and still occasionally hurt six months AFTER having Sophie!

I found that the pain was even WORSE with a pillow between my knees. I had an absolute pillow fort by the time 38w rolled around!

The only thing that sometimes worked for me was a heating pad and a good prenatal massage (which toward the end I got every three weeks). :)

And FWIW, I thought that Tylenol was entirely useless. No wonder it's safe to take!

-m

mommyj
06-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I had really horrible hip pain for about a month of my pregnancy, and I still have to be careful becasue it comes back easily. For the most part, I can prevent it with the following:
1) Prenatal yoga (I have a video I do at home). This helped with my hip and back pain more than anything else.
2) I'm really careful not to sit at the computer for too long. For some reason sitting upright in a chair kills my hips. It's a little better if I lean back in my chair or elevate my legs, but I still have to make sure not to sit in a regular chair for too long.
3) I started taking smaller steps. I also have my feet slightly turned out when I walk now, but I don't know if my hips are better off slightly turned out because I used to do ballet, or if it's something pregnancy related.

I know some of these sound goofy, but they made a huge difference for me. HTH!

ginalc
06-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Probably hormones. See your Dr. If physical therapy is covered under your insurance, I highly suggest that you start it now. Strenghening these muscles now will help later when weight IS an issue.

I had a similar experience and didn't seek therapy or treatment until it was really bad in the 8th month. Therapy really helped.

gina, mom to 3

Ryansmom
06-14-2003, 08:08 PM
I used an inexpensive "egg crate" foam mattress pad for extra cushoning. I found this to help my hip pain tremendously - although not completely. I found the egg crate foam at Wallmart for very little money. You can even buy two and double up for extra softness.

Good luck!

chrissyhowie
06-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Hip pain during pregnancy can be sometimes be caused by transient osteoporosis (loss of bone mineral density that is most commonly associated with post-menopausal women). There is a significant amount of calcium that is tranferred from the mom to baby during pregnancy and breast feeding. During pregnancy your body makes up for this by increasing intestinal absorbtion of calcium. While breast feeding calcium further tranferred to the baby by decreasing your kidney's excretion of it as well as continued demineralization of your bones. Trying to super-enhance calcium intake does not appear to change or stop this bone demineralization (so no recommendations to take more than your usual intake plus your prenatal vitamin). Exercise can often exacerbate this pain, so decreasing weight bearing exercise and using pain meds (tylenol) are most often used to control the discomfort.

The good news is that this bone density loss is transient and reverses itself soon after weaning. It is not associated with increased fracture risk or other serious long-term health issues, but there are isolated case reports out there of hip fractures and such.

Another reason why some people have hip pain is related to hormonally related relaxation of your ligaments, especially in the pelvic area, as your body prepares for the advancing pregnacy and eventual delivery of the child. Using pain medications can help this. Positional changes can help as well (the classic putting a pillow between your legs). You basically want to have your joints well supported when in resting positions to help stabilize them. Yoga is an excellent form of exercise (I practice it and love it), but just some words of caution -- this same laxity of your joints can possibly cause separation of the joints in certain positions. A friend of mine (an avid yoga practioner) caused some mild pubic bone separation in herself when she was pregnant on a day when she was pushing herself a bit! x( Ouch!

Yet another reason for hip pain might be sciatic nerve compression. Classically this causes a shooting, electric type pain down the back of the leg. But in some, it just causes sacroiliac joint (the area near your hip toward your back/buttock) pain. Again pain medications and decreased active weight bearing helps this. A physical therapist can assist in finding exercises that could help with stretching/stregthening that should help.

Sorry this is another one of my super-long posts! I hope this helps you a bit.

parkersmama
06-15-2003, 02:38 PM
My hip pain started earlier with each successive child. With Amy Grace it started as soon as I started showing. It was sometimes terrible and sometimes more of a dull ache but pretty consistant throughout my pregnancy. Mine is mostly sciatica but also some ligament pain. I found that changing positions often and doing some stretching helped. The pillow between my knees thing made it worse so I never did that. Tylenol helped so I took it when it seemed necessary and she doesn't appear any worse for it and it sure did make tolerating the pain easier! Also, soaking in a warm (not too hot) tub seemed to help sometimes as well. Hope it gets better soon!

farsk
06-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Kathy,

Especially if your insurance covers it, I would try a chiropractor. I have visited my chiropractor every week since before we got pregnant, and knock on wood, have not had any hip/low back pain! Also, I don't know if it's chiropractor PR, but I read that women who receive regular chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy have 24% shorter delivery times!

Hope this helps!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (EDD 7/28/2003)

KathyO
06-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions! Trust me, I'll be trying everything - a decent night's sleep is key to my sanity.

I checked, and yes, physio and massage are covered under my benefits, if a doctor recommends them. I'll bring it up with the Ob/Gyn at tomorrow's appointment. And I have been toying with getting a good preggo light yoga tape to try - this will be the incentive I need. Many of the other ideas (warm soak, stretching) I can start tonight. And Chrissy, thanks for reassuring me that I don't have to drink any MORE milk than I already am! I like it fine, but I'm starting to feel like a calf!

Again, thanks! And if anyone else has any ideas, keep bringing 'em on!

Gratefully,

KathyO

Marisa6826
06-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Kathy-

Have you tried the Viactiv calcium chews? I love them. The chocolate ones are a lot like Tootsie Rolls.

-m

barbarhow
06-15-2003, 08:39 PM
I suffered with hip pain throughout my pregnancy. A few things helped but ultimately only time cured it. I went to a chiropractor at least monthly and got massage every 2 weeks up until the last 8 weeks when I went weekly. I am not sure what I would have done without the massage. (My insurance paid for it) My massage therapist showed me some stretches which helped some but for the most part the massage was the best thing for it.
Heat and an eggcrate or sheepskin under you may help some. Also you can try some arnica ointment. My midwife okayed it-just check with yours. Good luck.

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

luvbeinmama
06-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I would, also, try the chiropractor/massage or physical therapy. I had some nasty pain that really got better with an adjustment. Also, with my 2nd, I wore a maternity belt almost the whole pregnancy. As soon as the hip pain started (around 4 months, as I remember) I started using the belt during the day. This helps a lot, but get a good one at Babies R Us. Don't bother going to the maternity stores as they just have this cheesy 4" elastic band that they call a maternity belt, and is just lousy! I know keeping that belly weight supported helped my hip pain immensely! At night, I would try stuffing pillows wherever you think they may help... like under your belly. (I know you're not really showing much now, but support it anyway, those muscles are looser than the first time around.) I hope this helps some!

AngelaS
06-16-2003, 06:00 AM
I had horrid hip pain with my second pregnancy. I gained half the weight I did the first time, but I was in agony.

Sleeping was the worst and trying to get up out of bed made me want to start my days with a string of bad words. UGH!

The thing that helped me the most was to sleep in the recliner. I could recline the perfect amount to take the pressure off without being flat on my back. It was the only way I could rest.

I tried the chiropractor too---three times a week! I finally concluded that as I'd leave his office and get back in the van, I was undoing whatever he'd just done and quit going.

The good news tho---after baby came, I had NO more pain! :D

dogmom
06-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Everyone has given you really good suggestions. I suffered from hip pain, and still do, most of it was sciatic pain. I found driving for long distances in my standard shift car really aggravated it. I would use my husband's car a lot because the seats were better and I limited my driving. I also frequently went to bed with an ice pack on the offending hip. After 15 minutes or so it really cut down the pain and made it much easier to sleep. Try ice and heat and see which one helps you.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

lvp49
06-16-2003, 08:01 AM
I am in my second pregnancy too, and also having a lot of hip pain, all right sided. I have discovered that it is from carrying my 23 month old around on my left hip. I have cut down on that whenever I can, and it is better. You don't say how old you first is. All other suggestions are great and true, but this can be a big contributor. HTH