PDA

View Full Version : blanket for swaddling baby

Jeanmick
06-14-2003, 04:36 PM
I have a 4 month old who still likes to be swaddled when he naps. I was wondering if anyone knows of a blanket that's big enough and cool enough to use as the Summer season approaches. It gets into the high 70's and mid 80's in our area. Thanks!

gour0
06-14-2003, 07:21 PM
I have been using the amazing miracle blanket. I bought one and made myself a spare. I would think you could make one yourself pretty easily out of a lightweight cotton fabric. Mine are flannel, but we have central AC so it works for us. If you want more info on pattern/dimensions you can email me.

Here is my little tutorial. :)

http://photos.yahoo.com/benjamin_robert2003

Jeanmick
06-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll be e-mailing you very soon!

Jeanette

Momof3Labs
06-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I bought some soft flannel from the fabric store, and my mom hemmed it for me. I think that we made the blankets about 40"x40", but you could make them whatever size you want, and use whatever fabric you want. Very inexpensive and very easy!!

Jeanmick
06-14-2003, 11:20 PM
That's a great idea too...Thank you!

Jeanette :)

Momof3Labs
06-15-2003, 10:33 AM
You're welcome! :-)

malisa
06-16-2003, 01:22 AM
My dd loved to be swaddled until recently, but we are in georgia so i understand your concern. and my dd would get so hot here. i found some fabric at JoAnn's, i believe, and it was called polar tec. it sounds warm but it's not as warm as my flannel blankets. so we made a big size 45' x45'. but, what i love abaout it is that it has quite a bit of stretch in it which is great for swaddling. plus then when dd would squirm in her sleep (i've never seen another human who moves this much during sleep)the blanket had a little give and didn't come unwrapped quite so easily. oh, to finnish the edges there are two options. 1) you can buy a FISKARS fabric cutting wheel, and they have different decorative blades. so you end up with a fancy edge--it will not fray. 2)cut the fabric (we only used one layer) and then bind the edges with another fabric. We did it the second way, personal preference. There were times we swaddled her arms and torso tightly and her legs out so they'd be cooler and that way we could use smaller blankets.
HTH
malisa
mom to Isabella 11/9/02

daisymommy
06-16-2003, 09:54 AM
We used Simmons Crib Blankets with Josh (who was so big that he quickly out grew regular size receiving blankets). The Simmons blankets are breathable waffle weave fabric, and about 41x41 inches. I got them at Baby Depot for $7 each. They would be great for summer time (or winter over top of a fuzzy sleeper).

mindi
12-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Stacey,

I saw your tutorial. It looks great. I wanted to ask how much you charge for a copy of the pattern ... or maybe you sell a less expensive version of the blanket ...? I would love to make one for my very colicky little ds if you don't.

I'll bet you get a lot of requests for that pattern ... :-)

Thank you,
Mindi

gour0
12-04-2003, 08:03 PM
LOL! Any info I have is free. I'm not selling anything. :) I emailed you the demensions.