PDA

View Full Version : Will/Did you pass out "It's a Girl/Boy" stuff?

farsk
06-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone!

Just six short weeks and my little bundle of joy *should* be here! I am wondering if people still do the "It's a Girl!" things...you know, like they used to to cigars. We definately aren't the cigar or even bubble gum type, but I am curious as to what people are doing these days. We were thinking about Godiva chocolate favors with a pretty pink ribbon.

Comments?

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (EDD 7/28/03)

parkersmama
06-15-2003, 02:24 PM
That's a cute idea. My dad had boxes of lollipops that said "It's a Boy" when my nephew was born in February and some that said "It's a girl" when Amy Grace came along in May. He passed them out at work to his cronies pretty much right after they got the news. I bought a tin of mints (sort of like Altoids) for dh to hand out that said "It's a Girl!" on the tin but not on the individual mints. I think he kept them on his desk and gave them to people who stopped by.

sweetbasil
06-15-2003, 04:00 PM
We're not into bubble gum cigars all that much, and DH didn't want to spend the $ on real cigars, so we got chocolate "It's a Boy" cigars (they're in our freezer, just waiting for this boy to be born!)...pretty reasonably priced, though several had melted by the time they got here. If the merchant makes that part right, I'll update my post with a link to their site ;)

C99
06-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Maybe I'm odd, but I didn't even think of doing something like this. We didn't pass out anything.

LD92599
06-15-2003, 05:15 PM
We did Hershey Bars. I didn't want to pay "full" price for them (most places are about $2 each) so I ordered a sample for one place and recreated the label in Adobe Pagemaker. I was able to print 2/page using cheap-grade photo paper. Who knows, it may have ended up costing more this way! I purchased the bars at Costco/BJs. It worked out well this way and we didn't have any leftovers, being that we were printing them ourselves.

To save time I had the layout all set up weeks before DS was born and just need to change vital info.

If anyone is interested in the template and uses Pagemaker, I'd be happy to share.

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

redhairedgirl
06-15-2003, 05:45 PM
My Cousin passed out the chocolate bars with the personalized wrappers on them. I thought they were REALLY cute!!!
I think if you want to do it... go for it! I know my husband is really looking forward to passing out cigars with to his guy friends when our little one is born. (evidently, the guys in his group still do the old fashioned cigar thing?)

mama2be
06-15-2003, 08:16 PM
I think Steve had images of handing out cigars to his golfing buddies but we didn't put the funds there...I think with the next we'll do it so he can have that little right of passage...

cara1
06-15-2003, 08:48 PM
My primary objection to these was the fixation on the gender of the baby. But that's just me. I'd have been more into "It's a healthy baby!" of "Here's DS!" I don't like keeping things blue or pink either. But we did send out birth announcements that weren't gender specific.