PDA

View Full Version : A question for those who do long driving trips

flagger
06-15-2003, 11:28 PM
In less than two weeks we will be driving 17 hours (broken up over two days) to see both sets of grandparents. Since she will be only four weeks, we were thinking of something to keep US occupied during the trip. We have made this drive twice before (straight through in the days BC <before Cocoa>).

I thought it might be a fun idea to get the 5th Harry Potter Book on CD or cassette since the unabridged version is 26.5 hours long. Or do you think books on tape are too distracting?

egoldber
06-16-2003, 06:17 AM
I love books on tape for long car trips. And so did Sarah when she was smaller. :) Now it's The Wiggles, etc. So enjoy YOUR preferences while you can!!! And try as much as possible to stick to her routine (if she has one.)

If you're lucky, she'll sleep the whole time. We drove 10 hours when she 6 weeks and found that we actually had to stop to get her to wake up. Otherwise she slept the entire time.

HTH,

Andrea S
06-16-2003, 08:31 AM
I like books on tape for long car trips.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mama2be
06-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Not too distracting at all...I highly recommend it!!!

celfsh
06-16-2003, 09:37 AM
I think books on tape are a great idea. If DH is driving, I also sometimes read aloud to him. That is actually how we read Harry Potter books 1 & 2. (I do a great Hagrid...LOL!)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

muskiesusan
06-16-2003, 10:07 AM
We often use this as an opportunity to listen to talk radio and "catch up" on our views on current events, politics, etc. Dh travels a lot for work and with taking care of Nick, I find that we don't have as many of these conversations as we did before, so this helps us stay in touch.

Cocoa is too young for this tip, but when Nick gets really bored in the car, I have turned on the rear view windshield wiper for him to look at. I don't do it often so that it has that newness to it. I am waiting to be pulled over since it usually is going on the sunniest days and I know they watch out for stuff like that for DUIs and such.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

flagger
06-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the input. We have easily driven the trip non-stop but then we are sooooooo tired once we get there. We figure at least on the way there we will break it up. If we can make the first leg to the LA border we will be doing good. (about 11 hours)

But no she is not on a real schedule yet.