PDA

View Full Version : dry skin-what to use on it

barbarhow
06-16-2003, 11:46 AM
DS seems to have very dry skin-tiny little bumps on him. I have not really been using anything in his bath. Shampooing with baby shampoo but am thinking he needs some kind of lotion on him. His skin until now has been fine. Sometimes at night I massage him with the Aveeno lavendar lotion but am open to any suggestions for other lotions. I am not a huge fan of the scents of most lotions and would prefer something unscented anyway-the less thats in it the better I would think. Thanks
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

flagger
06-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Have you tried Aquaphor?

Some women also swear by the healing properties of Breast Milk.

Karenn
06-16-2003, 11:53 AM
I second the Aquaphor recommendation. It clears up DS's dry skin like nothing else we've tried. It is also unscented.

HTH,

lisams
06-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Aquaphor is great, but if you want something less greasy that absorbs into the skin more, our ped. recommended Eucerin. It is non-sented and really helped our DD.

HTH!
Lisa

ginalc
06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi Barbara,

My little ones suffer from Eczema and the dermatologist had some good recommendations:

1. Only use soap at the end of a bath. Sitting in soapy water (or water with shampoo suds) draws moisture away from the skin. Frequent baths also help hydrate the skin!
2. Use tepid water. We actually place a sensor-spoon (yes, a feeding spoon) in the tub. If it changes color, the water is too warm. Also has an "after-life" when you no longer need it in the tub. :)
3. Towel baby off quickly and apply warmed baby oil. (I use a big cup on the counter and let the oil warm during the bath)
4. Apply Eucerin cream OVER the baby oil and dress baby as usual.

You would not believe the difference the combination of baby oil and Eucerine makes! Skin is so very soft until the next bath. When I stray from this routine, both my little ones start getting itchy, red spots on their arms and legs. Also works like a charm to get rid of those tiny little bumps! :)

gina, mom to 3

p.s. Hope everything else in your life is going well! :)

barbarhow
06-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks Gina! I will try that tonight.
Everything else is great. Thanks!

Barbara-mom to Jack-3/27/03