PDA

View Full Version : DD won't go into the stroller at 3 months old!

etwahl
06-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Help! She won't go into the stroller without screaming. I've tried different times of day, after she's been fed and diapered, and she just hates it. It's a very plush stroller (new MB with padding AND the stroller fleece).

Any suggestions? Is this normal? Will she grow out of it? I'm getting tired of being stuck in the house. I use the Baby Bjorn whenever we go anywhere.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
06-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Are you using the stroller fully reclined? If so, try elevating it slightly. Sarah HATED to be fully reclined, even as an infant, so I always had to have her only partially reclined.

HTH,

August Mom
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
For us, it was a phase. Around 3-4 months, DS refused to ride in the stroller, so I would wind up pushing the stroller full of Christmas presents while carrying DS in the Baby Bjorn. I have noticed that DS definitely prefers to be riding outside versus inside, so if that's an issue with Lauren too, maybe you could use the stroller more outside to get her comfortable with it again. Also, does she have a favorite toy you can attach to the MB? She may be a little young for a favorite toy, but I found that DS was amused for longer around that time if I put a toy on the stroller. We took Max the Monkey with us everywhere.

Good luck. Hopefully Lauren will grow out of this soon.

ginalc
06-17-2003, 01:23 PM
I have 2 thoughts.

1. Is Lauren sleeping OK? Can she put herself to sleep or does she need to be rocked or nursed?

My DD normally screamed when I put her in the stroller for the first several (10) months, until I finally discovered that ONE of her problems was being overtired. (another problem was being away from me - she needed me to help her fall asleep). Our walks were for me because I needed some fresh air and a break. We started our walks with her screaming and by the end she was asleep in a baby carrier. Used lots of carriers with her and pushed an empty stroller.

I read the book "Sleeping Through the Night" by Jodi Mindell and it explained sleep patterns and I started using some techniques that worked for us. We all got more rest and it helped stop most of the daytime screaming. Wish I'd read that book SOONER!!! :)

2. Does she dislike being strapped down?

My 2.5 yr old DD (same one) screamed the entire time she spent in the carseat for the first 2 yrs. The whole trip, Every trip, with few exceptions.
She just didn't like being strapped down. We finally bought a movie player for the car and now we are able to travel in peace, with or without a movie. We just stayed home as much as we could for a long time.

gina, mom to 3

lisams
06-17-2003, 02:23 PM
My DD was the same way until about 6 months! I started wondering if there was something wrong with her, until a recent trip to the mall. I noticed several babies close to her age being held by a mother or father while pushing a stroller full of bags!!

I attached her favorite toy with some of those links, and started taking her on mini walks often. She loves to be sitting up, so we rolled up a towel to put behind her back (you could use a little travel pillow also).

I think it's just a stage!

Lisa

Karenn
06-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Colin couldn't stand the stroller for long at that age. I don't know what it was, but he just didn't like it much. My dreams of leisurly walks and trips to the mall didn't start happening until later. I think it's a phase though. I'm not sure when things changed, but now Colin cries if he sees the stroller and DOESN'T get to ride in it. :)

mamahill
06-17-2003, 03:58 PM
I agree with Beth. Ainsleigh hated being all the way on her back. In fact, at a partial recline she would pull herself up to a full sit before she could even sit unassisted. does that make sense? She would kind of slump to the side, but she LOVED being able to see everything and everybody. She still loves her stroller and when I say "stroller" or "walk" she zooms over to her stroller and waits somewhat patiently for me to put on my shoes. Good luck!

Momof3Labs
06-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Colin also hated being fully reclined - even at 4 weeks old, we were propping him up in the stroller for a spin around the block.

He also went through a stroller-hating phase and now loves it unless he is tired - then he wants to be carried.