PDA

View Full Version : how much spit up is too much???

cchavez
06-18-2003, 12:18 PM
I started DS on Enfamil LIPIL last week. he was 7 wks yesterday. he will drink up to 5 oz sometimes....usually b/w 4 and 5 oz. during the day...at nite he takes in less b/w 3 and 4 oz. He gets formula for all of his meals except he gets BF 1x a day.

I started using Dr. Brown's bottles and noticed less spit up. He used to spit up quite a bit when he was ex. Bf but it helped to elevate him more and hold him up for 15 min after he finished eating. I am still doing that now that he is on formula, I also burp him every 1 to 2 oz. I would like to burp him every 1 oz....but he screams b/c he wants to cont. eating!!!! I have noticed less spit up since using dr. brown's bottles but he still spits up at each feed....but how much is too much spit up??? I don't have to change him everytime he spits up but sometimes i do. Could it be the formula that is causing him to spit up??? but if he is not showing any other signs of discomfort i should not switch formula for this reason right? OR am i feeding him too much??? But he still spits up at nite when he eats 3 oz.....

after being bf for awhile the spit up was less....so maybe after being FF for awhile it will be less

the ped. nurse told me not to worry unless the spit up was copious......also FYI, since using the Dr. Brown's the spit up is more watery not as much mucous...TIA

JMarie
06-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Aidan is a champ when it comes to spit-up - I swear sometimes he spits up the entire bottle! It doesn't seem to upset him, his poops are normal and regular, and he has no signs of allergy, so his ped is just convinced he has a weak valve between his esophagus and stomach (don't remember the term she used...). Most of the time it's formula, but there are times when he spits up clear liquid. All of his bibs are stained with it and most of his onesies are ruined (no amount of Shout, Zout, Oxi-clean, or bleach will get them clean!), but he could care less about spitting up! His ped told us as long as he's not showing signs of allergy, he's pooping and peeing regularly, and he's gaining weight, we shouldn't worry. I'm trying, but it's not easy. Just know you're not the only one!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

cchavez
06-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks.....I guess I will see what my ped says when we go for our visit in 2 wks.....

JMarie
06-18-2003, 12:56 PM
From what I recall from our last appointment, his ped said he should start to get better around 5-6 months old. I've already noticed a decrease in his spit-up, for the most part, but he still has his moments (usually while changing him into a nice outfit!). I don't know if starting solids helps it or if the valve just starts to strengthen, but I sure hope he's able to keep more than cereal down. I am not looking forward to carrots and peas-infused baby spit-up!

Jennifer

posterelle
06-18-2003, 02:44 PM
As i understand it -- it's only a problem if it's projectile), if the baby fusses after spitting up & is obviously uncomfortable, and/or the baby isn't gaining well.

My son went througha phase of spitting up large amounts -- I slowed the feedings down, & stopped trying to sneak in "a little extra" at feedings, & they mostly stopped. (except at 5 this morning, in our bed!)

blnony
06-18-2003, 03:24 PM
I remember back in the newborn months when I was convinced my DD was broken! :) She spit up all the time, sometimes large amounts, sometimes small, it didn't matter if I BF, FF, anything. My Ped. just kept saying, she isn't in any pain from the spit up, she's gaining weight, it doesn't seem to bother her, etc. Its just a weak esphogeal something or other. He kept saying, oh she''ll grow out of it by two months, then she'll grow out of it by 4 months, then 6 months, then 8 months. Well, my DD is 10 months old and still spits up! It drives me nuts. But, she is thriving, it doesn't bother her at all, so I've just learned to live with it! :)
If it is bothering your babe, you can tell they are in pain, or if he/she doesn't have enough wet or poopy diapers, then something is probably wrong. Like one nurse told us, spitting up is more a laundry problem than a physical one!:)

Edited to add: We still have our carrot infused spit up days!! And that stuff will stain like the devil. I haven't figured out how to get it out yet.
Audrey doesn't spit up as much as she used to, but she still does as least once a day!

JMarie
06-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Brianna, you're not helping me feel better over here... I had such high hopes! Oh well, one more thing to look forward to... I suppose I should put away the white clothes, shouldn't I?

Jennifer