PDA

View Full Version : OK parents of 2 kids - what car(s) do you have?!

loewymartin
06-18-2003, 05:40 PM
We are planning on buying a new car this summer to replace Ken's Audi A4. I have a Saab 9-5 that works really well for the 3 of us and all Alia's stuff. We are planning on #2 for some time next summer...the consideration is - when we have 2 kids, will we need a car bigger than the Saab? Ken keeps telling me we'll need a minivan or SUV. We don't need to take a lot of baby equipment when we visit my folks because they have everything. When we visit Ken's folks, we don't drive, so it won't matter what car we have.

All that said - what cars do you have if you have more than 1 child. Am I crazy for thinking that I can get 2 carseats, the MBUD I plan on buying for #2 and the normal baggages for a weekend stay in my Saab?!

Thanks for your help!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

jojo2324
06-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Michelle!!

Currently, we are driving a 92 Saab 900S. It's definitely tight in there with Gannon's car seat. When we go anywhere as a family, Shawn has to do the driving because he can't fit his legs in with Gannon behind him. (He's a big guy.) If we were to throw an infant seat behind the driver's side, then Shawn would never get in the car. BUT, now that Gannon is getting older, we will be able to flip him forward, and that might afford us some more room. Also, I have an MBUS, and it doesn't fit in my trunk that great. So I can imagine that a double would be even harder.

We are looking at the Passat wagon. It's got much more room than our Saab, and could definitely accomodate two car seats. Also, with the wagon space, there's little worry about lack of storage. Other cars we were considering included the Forester and a Saturn wagon.

We just can't quite get into the minivan state of mind. We're trying, but it's really hard to reconcile the parent with the non-parent, you know? :) And with SUVs, that's a no go too. I am little, and have a really hard time in tall vehicles. Plus you throw in the monstrous gas tanks and that did them in for me.

Jeanmick
06-18-2003, 06:39 PM
I'll have to agree with your husband on this one. For our first child, we had a 1997 Acura 3.2 TL and got around just fine. We were a bit cramped when we did overnighters (luggage, Pack-n-Play, food, stroller) but we did okay. Keep in mind that as your kids grow up, you may want to do other things besides visit the grandparents (i.e., camping, amusement parks). When we were pregnant #2, we decided on getting a Minivan and I have to say, WE LOVE IT! We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey and it's the best! It's easier to get both kids in and out of the van. We don't have to stoop and bend over to get the kids in like in a car. We can also have others ride in the back seats when the kids are loaded in. We have a double stroller (Jeep Waggoner) and a single stroller (Peg Perego Pliko w/ adapter bar) in the trunk and we yet we can still get groceries from Costco loaded in the back! We've not done an overnighter yet (our second child is only 4 months old), but as soon as we're ready, we're off to Disneyland!

egoldber
06-18-2003, 07:02 PM
I love my minivan. I was very anti-minivan before and it took DH dragging me to test drive before I relented. They drive wonderfully now, much better than SUVs (and are usually safer than SUVs). It is so incredibly more convenient to have a van, even with one child.

HTH,

twins r fun
06-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Since you have to buy something anyway, I say definitely go for something bigger. I get my two boys and their MBUD in a Saturn sedan, but it is definitely not optimal. We had a hard time when the convertible seats were rear facing-good thing DH and I are both short! The MBUD takes up almost the whole trunk. When we go away for a weekend we have to pack bags in between the two carseats, on the floor, in the front with me, and in bits and pieces around the stroller. There's no way we could go for any more than 2 days or go anywhere we'd have to take a PNP without renting a car, taking both cars, or buying one of those rooftop luggage things. So basically having 2 kids in a small car is technically doable, but is a little difficult for anything more than day trips. We so badly want a new car, but since our 2 Saturns are paid off, we're waiting until one dies. 180,000 and 145,000 miles and no signs of imminent death :( !

mharling
06-18-2003, 09:05 PM
We're in the same boat and I think we've pretty much decided to go with a bigger car. I don't think it's completely necessary with one kid, but will probably be a little easier with extra space. I definitely think we need it when there are 2 kids.

I just wrote a post soliciting feedback about the Honda Pilot, in case you're interested.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

mama2be
06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Michelle,

I love my Lexus SUV...I think it's a 470 or 480 or 490 or something...it's the huge one...it has an expensive "bar bill" in that it guzzles gas...but we do love it!!! But we have critters too so it helps to transport them...:)

ginalc
06-19-2003, 02:58 AM
The Honda Odyssey is a great mini-van to own if you have kids! We opted for the Dodge Grand Caravan instead, but now that I've seen the Odyssey, I wished we'd waited! There is a 6 month waiting list on the Odyssey and it gets the highest consumer reports rating. Check it out if you can!

When we switched from a car to a minivan, I was really surprised at how nice they are in terms of being able to see the road better. Semi-trucks never seemed to respect my car on the road. Also, it's much easier on my back to buckle the kids into their carseats from the side, and I love that the side-doors slide open. Makes it easier to park anywhere.

I also prefer the minivan for diaper changes and potty training. :)
I've changed more than 1 diaper in the back of the van, and set the potty chair up either between the front and back seats, or in the back. Also, I have room for 2 strollers. My Maclaren single sits between the passenger seats, my MBUD stands up on it's side in the trunk space, bungeed to the back row of seats. Very slick!

gina, mom to 3

nitaghei
06-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi!

If want to go the minivan route - check out the 2004 Toyota Sienna. I am NOT a Toyota fan - but this seems to be a really nice van - better than the Odyessy, IMO, since the redesign.

Otherwise - my brother has 2 kids, and a Passat wagon, and it works really well for them.

A friend of mine has the Lexus SUV - and 3 kids, and they love it.

We just bit the bullet and bought a Suburban. It's HUGE!! But we also have 2 dogs, and are hoping for human baby #2 sometime in the next couple of years. This is the one truck that was safe and could fit all the junk we would need to take 2 dogs and 2 kids to dog shows/ camping and so forth. The fuel efficiency stinks - but DH has a very short commute (2 miles), so it works for us.

HTH

Nita

colleenfs
06-19-2003, 09:05 AM
I am looking at the new Totota Sienna minivan. You've probably seen the onslaught of ads for it. It seems like it is a very family friendly car with lots of extras for kids. I haven't driven it myself yet, but it seems to be getting raves.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

KimberleyDawn
06-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Jeff drives a 2 door Pontiac Sunfire, I have a Pontiac Transport minivan and I LOVE MY VAN!!! We can go anywhere with 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog and not worry about space for beast, humans or luggage. When we were looking for our van we noticed all the backseats in the diffrent 4 door cars (that were in a reasonable $$ range)didn't allow for enough leg room and since my oldest is 11.5 and tall we had to be careful.
Kim
P.S.
The van will also fit kid #3 when that time comes!

jojo2324
06-19-2003, 09:42 AM
I must admit, I've been eyeing the Sienna for a while now, even before the deluge of marketing hit. I rode in one about two years ago and it was NICE! I suggested to Shawn last night that maybe we should go the minivan route, and he just rolled his eyes. :)

lukkykatt
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
We got a new car last year, a few months before our second son was born. We ended up getting a Passat wagon, which I love. We were also considering a minivan and an SUV, but after we test drove the VW, we didn't even look at the other cars, which I know you are not supposed to do! DH liked it so much that he ended up trading his car in a few months later...for a Passat.

The one thing that was the most important to me when I was looking was safety ratings on cars. At the time, the Passat was one of the few (if not only) cars in its class that offered side air bags as a standard feature.

We have also had enough space in our car. I have an MBUD, which fits just fine in the trunk. It is also very easy to get in and out with the flat gate. Sometimes I have gone grocery shopping and forgotten that I had the MBUD in the trunk, and just put the bags right on top of the buggy - no problem!

Since last year, a few new sport wagons have come out which may be worth a look. Also the Honda Oddy is always hugely popular. The Toyota has just been redesigned and should be worth a look too.

momtoemma
06-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I have test-driven the new Sienna and loved it! I plan to buy a van in the next few months and am leaning heavily towards the new Sienna. I'll either get the Odyssey or the Sienna. I thought they drove pretty similarly, but the new Toyota had a few other bells and whistles that I really liked.

What I'm really waiting for is the "new" model stuff to wear off. When I test drove one a few months ago, the dealer tried to tell me that they were charging $1500 on top of the sticker price because they were so in demand. Well, let me tell ya, I don't even intend to pay sticker, let alone some ridiculous premium! What I noticed about the differences between the two vehicles is that several features I consider important often come standard on the Honda whereas on Toyota, you might have to upgrade the model. Aggrivating, but even with that, the Sienna is my first choice.

Happy shopping!

Stephanie