PDA

View Full Version : Do you have or have you driven/ridden in a Honda Pilot?

mharling
06-18-2003, 08:59 PM
It is very likely that dh's next work assignment will be local. Up until now we have been a one-car family, but now we will likely need a second car.

We have decided to get a bigger family car to accommodate us now and when we grow. Our current car is leased, but the plan is to buy this one and drive it into the ground. We are looking at the Honda Pilot. We haven't been to a dealer yet; we decided it wasn't worth our time to go until we positively know if we need the second car. I saw one today IRL for the first time.

I like the looks of it a lot; it seems to sit more like a mini-van than an SUV. Honda's reputation and dependability are certainly in our favor as well.

Any thoughts on this car? Good, bad or indifferent?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Mary-

I haven't been in one, buy my upstairs neighbour has one and absolutely loves it. She has a 19m son and got it for that reason (her last car was too small for all his stuff).

She's quite small and said that it really drives like a car...

Just thought I'd pass it along

-m

egoldber
06-18-2003, 09:56 PM
It looks like a minivan for a reason. It is based on the Honda Odyssey chassis (as is the Acura MDX to which it is very similar). Depending on where you live they can be difficult to find. A friend of mine had to sign up on a waiting list to TEST DRIVE one!

smilequeen
06-18-2003, 10:19 PM
I don't have the Pilot, but I have the Acura MDX which is very similar and I absolutely love it. It drives like a car, the 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor in the back like they don't even exist. It's pretty powerful and doesn't eat up as much gas as most of it's competitors. Has the best rollover rating as far as the SUVs tested. And Honda/Acura is a great, reliable company. The Pilot should be just about the same. It's actually a little bit bigger...I think the 3rd row on it can seat 3 instead of 2. (But every 3rd row I've sat in has been the same...too small for adults to really sit in. We even tried the big Lexus and it was uncomfortable back there.)

I don't know if that helps, but I do really adore my car.

JMarie
06-18-2003, 11:05 PM
DH and I test drove one when we got our Civic and we LOVED LOVED LOVED it! It's a little too much car for us right now, but we're planning on getting one in the next couple of years - whenever we decide to try for #2. When we test drove it, there was only the demo model and the wait list was three months, I believe, but that was in September, so I have no clue what the time frames are now. The demo was fully loaded and handled like a dream - much better than the 2002 Explorer we rented for our wedding. Three people can fit in the third row of seats - we were comfortable, but we're not really tall people (I'm 5'2", DH is 5'11" ). When the third row is stowed, there is a TON of room for storage - I think I heard you could lay a sheet of plywood down flat in there, whatever that means! There was just a lot of room! I was very impressed with the vehicle and would really recommend a test drive.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

Edited to remove the darn smiley face!

mharling
06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
You're in the Chicago-area too aren't you, Jennifer? Dh found a dealer with one on the lot. I think we are going to test drive it tomorrow.

I am surprised, but I have not seen many on the road around here. I was in Naperville today and finally saw it IRL (3 in the parking lot I was in!). Although, if it's like any other car we'll see a TON of them after (if) we buy it!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

JMarie
06-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Yep - we're in the western suburbs and drove the Pilot at Crystal Lake Honda. I've seen quite a few Pilots around here lately and have already decided I want one in black, although the red Explorers are a very close second. I call it 'perfect nail-polish red' - DH thinks I'm crazy! I'm sure you'll love it - let us know what color you pick!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03