PDA

View Full Version : BEST BUY scam!! Be aware!!

Annette_C
06-18-2003, 09:11 PM
I received an e-mail today that scared the h&!! out of me!
This is what it said:

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/17/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our
web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.

A link and the address & phone number of the person who supposedly placed the order followed.
When I told DH about it (he's a computer architect), he told me to call BestBuy because he suspected it was a scam.
After speaking with CS, our suspition was confirmed! I was told NOT TO CLICK ON THE LINK provided in the bogus e-mail. Also, I was told that this is a BIG scam currently spreading fast through the internet and to warn friends about it.

Hope this info helps somebody,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

flagger
06-18-2003, 09:27 PM
When in doubt you can always run the headers through spamcop.net.

Several friends of mine have received this today. DO NOT click on the link.

jal
06-18-2003, 10:00 PM
It's simple. If a well known business seems to send you an email saying they need you to confirm anything... DON'T CLICK ANY LINKS. If it's a well known business, then their web address is well known, and you can enter it manually.

This kind of scam is about as old as PayPal is. The first one I ever saw had a link to www.paypa1.com. Now if you look closely, you will see that the address was WWW.PAYPA1.COM. The page looked just like PayPal, but obviously your talking to someone else's database that is just trying to get you to reviel your ID and Passwork.

The scams have gotten a little more sofisticated (for example, the link will include "ebay.com" in the name, but if you know how to read a web address, you will see that ebay is NOT the real address.

So once again, NEVER CLICK ANY LINK THAT IS GOING TO TAKE YOU TO A PAGE AND ASK FOR YOUR PASSWORD OR OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION. TYPE IN THE NAME OF THE WEB SITE YOU KNOW IT TO BE WHEN YOU SIGNED UP AT THE WEB SITE AND YOU'LL NEVER GET SCAMMED.

mama2be
06-18-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm in a real pissy mood today and this just pisses me off!!!! I'm sorry for my language but life is getting pretty difficult isn't it???? I just can't beleive how it is a full time job for us all to protect ourselves...it is just awful!!!!

Annette thank you for this info...of course Steve said, "Oh ya honey you knew that didn't you???"...

NO!!!! I would have clicked on it and answered everything....thank you girlie for sharing I would have fallen right into the trap!!!!

brubeck
06-19-2003, 09:36 AM
My husband got something similar from 'EBay'. The lesson is that if you are ever sent a confirmation email, go to the website directly and do NOT click on the link.

kapow
06-20-2003, 10:23 AM
The Urban Legends website already has it posted as well:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/bestbuy.asp

nathansmom
06-20-2003, 01:59 PM
I just recieved this same email. Thanks Annette for posting this.

brubeck
06-20-2003, 04:14 PM
I got an email from Best Buy today warning about this issue and not to respond to the link. They are in the process of going after this with the federal authorities.

flagger
08-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Here is a copy of the pop-up from the Best Buy website. (I hate pop-ups but that is beside the point)