PDA

View Full Version : When should I pack my bag for the hospital%3F

farsk
06-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm 34 weeks, waiting for my baby girl, and I was wondering when I needed to pack my bag for the hospital. Also, what are necessities I should include for both me, DD, and DH.

Thanks in advance!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (EDD 7/28/2003)

jal
06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
You needed to have packed them 3 weeks ago.

mharling
06-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Shannon -
It's certainly not too early to pack! Here is a link to a relatively recent thread about items to pack:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/1487.html

Good luck!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

*Edited to change the link to the 'View All' version.

Momof3Labs
06-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I'd do it now - it's never too soon. Colin came two weeks early (unexpectedly) and DH (the procrastinator) was running around the house gathering together the items that I had listed for him - my stuff had been packed for weeks.

flagger
06-18-2003, 09:30 PM
You also might like this thread for what you might get once at the hospital. ;)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/1702.html

Just an FYI, there are some who say that packing too early makes the baby decide to not come because you are too ready. ;)

jal
06-18-2003, 09:45 PM
O.K. Now I'll get serious.

The time to pack is now while you still can so that you will already be ready incase baby decides to make an early arrival, and at 34 weeks, that could be any time now.

If you or your husband wears contacts, take a backup pair of glasses. More than likely, the first time you take them out, you'll never get around to putting them back on, and you WILL be waking in the middle of the night, so you'll want something you can put on quickly to see.

If you have your heart set on a particular bottle, go ahead and pack at least two or three. When we had to go ahead and start supplimenting while still in the hospital, we were able to start with the bottles we planned to use in the long run rather than the freebies the hospitol will provide. We wanted the Advent bottles since they are supposed to mimic the breast. That way daddy could help by feeding EBM. Now it is most likely that your milk will not come in before heading home, so you don't have to worry about taking a pump for any reason. But in our case, we needed the bottles because the colostrum that initially comes in just would not satisfy our 10 lb boy.

If possible (and you know your hospital room will have a VCR) take along some movies. After Patrick was born, I had to go back home for something, and while I was out, I picked up a couple of movies. But I must say that things were busy enough that we only got to watch one of them (and we were in the hospital for 4 days because of C-section).

Make sure you have plenty of money so that daddy can get some lunch at the cafateria (or pick you up something when your hospital lunch turns out to be cold).

Make sure you have plenty of film and EXTRA batteries for your camera.

Don't forget a "going home" out-fit for both mommy and baby.

The hospital will most likely require that you also have a car seat installed before they will discharge you, so NOW is the time to get it installed and inspected.

If ultrasounds have already been telling you that you are going to have a large baby, make sure to take your own hat. Because Patrick was so large at birth, the cheap hats the hospital provides just popped right off, they wouldn't stay on his "oversided" head.

Make sure to take makeup and any shower items (your favorite shampoo for instance) because you'll most likely want to shower before going home.

egoldber
06-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Pack now! My water broke 3 1/2 weeks early and we had to pack at 2 am. Not fun!

JMarie
06-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Well, my water didn't break, but I was told to come into the hospital at 35 weeks and I had NOTHING packed. I left so many things at home - and since DS was in the NICU, I REFUSED to let DH go home to get the things I'd forgotten. Next time, I'll be packed before I hit the third trimester. My advice - start packing! The one thing I forgot that I really needed? A HAIR BAND! I went through 19 hours of labor with my hair down. It was NOT a pretty sight afterwards...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

nathansmom
06-18-2003, 11:42 PM
I packed the day we went in for an induction. I wouldn't recommend that since dh had to run around and get the things I forgot.

partyof5
06-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Shannon,

Pack now! Right this minute! Stop reading my message and pack!!!

No, but seriously. My 2nd daughter came 3 1/2 weeks early and I had ZILCH packed. I didn't even wash the coming home outfit I had for her! To top it off, I didn't have anything prepared for my 1st daughter who my parents were suppose to watch while I was at the hospital. So what did I do? I did a load of laundry before I left for the hospital. LOL! I knew I'd end up waiting in OB triage and granted my contractions weren't too strong but what a chore! Plus, the entire time I was at the hospital I was calling my DH to bring me whatever I forgot to pack (Bless his heart!).

You would think that I would have learned and packed for my third, right? NOT! Okay, so I did put everything I needed for the hospital in one of my dresser drawers (my DH made me do it because of last time) and I didn't have to do laundry but the baby came earlier than expected and I had to hunt for a bag to put my stuff in. I ended up putting all my stuff into a tote bag then on the way to the hospital I made my Dad stop at a Pea in the Pod so I could buy the Nicole Miller Back Pack to use. LOL! I don't know what I was thinking. I must of had a MAJOR case of preggo brain.

Soooo, learn from my mistakes and pack right this minute!

~Cindy
mommy to...
Isabella (1999)
Sophia (2001)
Ethan (2003)

KathyO
06-19-2003, 02:00 PM
>I ended up putting all my stuff into a tote bag then on the way to the hospital I made my Dad stop at a Pea in the Pod so I could buy the Nicole Miller Back Pack to use. LOL! I don't know what I was thinking. I must of had a MAJOR case of preggo brain.

Tee hee!! Great image! I've told my Dad that the price of coming to see his next grandchild will be a pizza. After the first baby I was RAVENOUS, and it was 11 hours until breakfast! (And breakfast was pathetic.)

KathyO

kapow
06-20-2003, 10:12 AM
*gulp*

I'm due in 10 days and haven't packed a thing! But I have a seriously long list of stuff to pack. All of your suggestions have been very helpful. I think I'll go pack NOW. :)

heidi_timms
06-20-2003, 10:51 AM
I second that vote for having someone bring in takeout after giving birth. Hospital food is horrible and you will be starving afterwards!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

houseof3boys
06-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Pack now! I second packing the snacks as you never know when you will get fed after labor. I also packed bottled water and Gatorade instead of drinking the hospital water which tasted metallic to me.

Make sure that you pack your camera, disposable camera, digital camera, whatever kind of camera and have it handy ..... not packed at the bottom of the suitcase!

All of the other suggestions from the past threads was how I packed for the hospital as well as talking to friends about what they wished they had packed.

Good luck Shannon!