PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a congested five-week-old?

dueinmay
06-19-2003, 11:32 AM
I think DD is congested. She seems to be breathing very noisily through her nose and had an awful, restless night last night. Kept waking up every 20 mins or so to give a little cry and make other noises before sleeping again. And she has been fussy today (lots of periods of crying!). It's very distressing to think she is uncomfortable! Of course I called our dr, who recommended a vaporizer (anyone have one to recommend?) or a few minutes in a steamy bathroom, followed by the nasal aspirator (which DD protests with frantic cries -- more distress for mom!). Also said I could try Pediacare Infant Decongestant Drops. I hate to have to give her meds, though if it's what will make her feel better, then I will.

I thought I remembered someone on this board mentioning that when her baby was stuffy, letting her sleep semi-upright (in the swing or carseat) seemed to help. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Rebecca

It's a girl!

COElizabeth
06-19-2003, 01:29 PM
You can also try the infant saline nasal sprays (Little Noses, etc.). That's what our ped suggested. It's safe to use more often than the decongestant because it doesn't have any medicine, just salt water. And yes, sleeping more upright may help, too.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

COElizabeth
06-19-2003, 01:32 PM
One more thing - I think this is normal. I read somewhere that an infant's mucous production increases at a few weeks old, but it takes the rest of the baby's body a while to catch up and handle it! I think she will probably outgrow the congestion within a month or so.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mam615
06-19-2003, 02:14 PM
In a pinch, you can also make your own nasal drops. About 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup warm water. Use a nasal or eye dropper and get a few drops into each nostril while baby is lying down. Your baby will probably protest this procedure as well, but it's not quite as invasive as the aspirator. You might need to follow up with the aspirator to remove any loose congestion from the nose. Or, she'll just swallow it.

If she's having trouble sleeping, I definitely recommend letting her sleep semi upright in the stroller or carseat untill she clears up. You can also try one of those wedges in the crib to raise her head a bit, although this didn't seem to work too well for us.

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Even better than the wedges, is to put a few books under the legs of the crib on one end so it's raised. The car seat might work, but I've heard that it doesn't prop the baby up enough and might cause her to have an even tougher time of breathing. The swing or bouncer might be a better choice.

I'm really surprised your doctor said you could give her the Pediacare. Sophie was sick a few weeks ago and at one week short of six months, they wouldn't let me give her anything other than saline.

Definitely try the steamy bathroom routine. It works - especially right before feedings. Babies don't have the physiological ability to breath through their mouths very well.

When using the "nose sucker" (and by the way, they ALL hate it!), put a few drops of saline in first, wait a couple minutes, THEN try and aspirate. The Little Noses one has a really soft end - you might want to pick it up. It comes as a "kit" with the saline.

Good luck. Hope she feels better soon!

-m

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 02:33 PM
I have read this and also seem to remember that out of nowhere around five weeks, Sophie's nose started to "work".

-m

dueinmay
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Wow, you are all so great! Thanks for answering and for the great suggestions. And thank you for letting me know that this may just be a "normal" five-week development.

At the moment DD is sleeping - quite peacefully! - in her swing, and it is such a relief just to see her looking content and breathing well. :) (Have a feeling today has been harder on me than on her!) I'm going to continue with your suggestions and hopefully we'll all have a better night's sleep tonight!

Rebecca

It's a girl!

jenmcadams
06-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to second the fact that it may just be normal development. Abbie always sounded congested in her 2nd and third months. I would ask my ped about it and she always said not to worry. She also recommended drops if it got to the point where Abbie was uncomfortable, but we never used them.

Hope she feels better soon!