PDA

View Full Version : We decided on a b.day theme - need a little help from y'all...

spu
06-19-2003, 02:15 PM
I finally decided on a theme for the babies first birthday. I'm going to spoof a Ben & Jerry's ad. (see the link below for a pic. of the invitation).

Has anyone seen an ice cream theme? In addition to having ice cream and a cook out, what kinds of stuff could I do for decorations, favors, games, etc. I imagine we'll be having lots of adults, with maybe 5-8 kids in the 1-3 age range.

Here's the invitation so far:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sunger1/babies.jpg

It's a work-in-progress... Once I'm finally done, I'm going to animate it and make a mini-website out of it.

I'd love any thoughts or suggestions!! thanks everyone!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Andrea S
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
That invitation is tooo cute!! I saw this on hallmark's web site about b day ideas

Ice Cream Parlor/Social

Nothing is more old-fashioned than homemade ice cream. Try turning your house into the local ice-cream parlor for a few hours and let the treats become the main event. For decorations, you can arrange balloons to look like scoops of ice cream, then glue them to construction paper cones. Recruit a creative family member or neighbor to tell fortunes. Play 50's music from records…yes, we said "records." The vinyl kind. There's just something about that scratchy sound!

For party favors, fill balloons with old-fashioned candy. Choose wax bottles and lips, candy necklaces, licorice, candy buttons and other treats from bygone years, then inflate the balloons. (If you can't find the candy at local stores, try ordering from Web sites that specialize in nostalgic candy.)

Provide an array of fun ice cream toppings, and let the kids build their own frozen masterpieces. Have a spoonless ice-cream-eating contest, and when it's over, let each guest stamp a gooey faceprint onto a piece of construction paper. He or she can draw in missing facial features, sign the picture, and leave a little wish for the birthday child, or take it home as a party favor!

Good luck, and have a good old-fashioned, swell time

I thought the balloon cones would be cute.

Another idea they had was a time capsule that everyone writes something to the b-day girls.

Let us know what you decide and I can not wait to see pictures. I am starting to plan Andrew's party. We are going to have a cook out.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

bnme
06-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Very Cute!!!!
Everybody loves ice cream!

A cute idea for a dessert thats not ice cream are those cupcakes you bake in the ice cream cones. It looks so easy. I see them all the time in womens mags like Family Circle. Or you can have a selection of "Ice Cream Man" type treats (creamciles (sp??), italian ices, chocolate eclair bars, etc).

I have no ideas on favors, etc...I just wanted to say I love your idea!! An the invitation is very cute!

jojo2324
06-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Wow, Susan, that is absolutely adorable!!! What a good idea!

Is there any way to make their party hats into ice cream cones? Hmmm...Or even an ice cream cone into a party hat?

I don't know if this would work with the age range of kids, but instead of pin the tail on the donkey, you could have put the cherry on the sundae.

I'm racking my brain thinking of stuff. This is such a good idea! PLEASE let us know what you end up doing!! :)

Karenn
06-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Very cute invitation! Have you checked out Target lately? They have a line of products right now called "I Scream For Summer" and it's all based around an ice cream theme. I think some of the products are cuter than others, but you might find some accessorites for the party.

Sounds like fun!

newbelly2002
06-19-2003, 02:57 PM
If you have the time, you could make ice cream cones from waffles. A friend just did that for her son's first b-day party. She then filled the cones with whipped cream (from a can), but you could use ice cream if that's the theme.

Adorable invitation and a great idea!!

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

mamahill
06-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Adorable! I just wanted to say how beautiful and grown-up Charlotte and Else look. I have their avatar stuck in my head;) but they are turning into little ladies! Have fun at the party - looks like it will be a huge success:).

MartiesMom2B
06-19-2003, 03:26 PM
I love the invitation. It's too cute.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

chrissyhowie
06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Susan,

Those invites are soooooo cute and original! Not to mention how beautiful your little ladies are! Just needed to tell you that...:)

Annette_C
06-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Susan,
Your girls are ADORABLE!!! What a great idea and cute invitation!
I wanted to add that I've made the ice-cream cupcakes lots of times and they're so easy to make. You just spoon some cake batter of your choice (I used Funfetti) into flat-bottom wafer cones (I put the cones in the cupcake pan so they stay up). Bake according to cupcakes directions and, when they're cold, frost the top (so it looks like an ice-cream) and put some sprinkles/jimmies on top. Finish with a half cherry.
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

nigele
06-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Susan,

I'm coming up blank for ideas but that invitation is so adorable (it's almost as cute as Charlotte and Else!!!)

spu
06-20-2003, 04:11 PM
thanks everyone for the great ideas! I love pin the cherry on the icecream cone! (fun for the adults too... esp. after a few cold ones!) I'll have to get some crazy prizes to get everyone to participate! I was thinking for part of the kid's goodie bag, I could get ice cream cone gift certificates from Friendly's... or maybe B&J's has gift certificates for free pints...

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

parkersmama
06-20-2003, 04:48 PM
You might check out www.familyfun.com They often have really good party ideas and some of them could be apdapted to your theme if you don't find anything specifically related.

Your invitation is terrific...you are so creative!! And the girls are absolutely adorable!

mama2be
06-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Susan you are brilliant and what gorgeous young ladies you have :)...
I say cow favors of some sort :)...
Hugs!!!

josephsmom
06-22-2003, 08:00 AM
I love the idea and the invitation! As for a game, I'm thinking "pin the ice cream on the cone" might be easier for little kids than "pin the cherry on the sundae." You could put a big cone up on the wall, and give everyone a different colored circle made to look like an ice cream scoop. Those would probably be larger, simpler, and easier to handle. Have fun; sounds like it's going to be a great party!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

nathansmom
06-22-2003, 10:47 AM
That is the cutest birthday card I've ever seen. I wish I was being invited just so I could show the card off. I hope the birthday comes off without any flaws. I can't wait to see pictures.