PDA

View Full Version : OT--need a GOOD vacuum!!!

beckyr88
06-20-2003, 05:20 PM
It seems that you all are pros at *everything*....well, we really need a good, good vacuum.

What do you all have and like??

(only bummer is that with a new vacuum, I'll have no excuse for the current state of my "housekeeping" )

Thanks!!!

gravymommy3
06-20-2003, 06:04 PM
I bought a Miele vacuum last August and love it. DH will even pick it up and use it...

lvp49
06-20-2003, 06:07 PM
If you can get what eber you want, get an Oreck or a Kirby.

muskiesusan
06-20-2003, 06:57 PM
We have two large dogs and cleaning is so much easier with my Oreck, eight-pound upright (can you tell I watched too many of their ads?).

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

beckyr88
06-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Thank you all so much! DH had mentioned Oreck...wanted to know if it would really hold a bowling ball!! LOL--anyone try it?? j/k

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
06-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Another Oreck lover here - and you know by my screen name what a vacuum goes through here!

zen_bliss
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
miele. i think this is the only ridiculously priced thing i have, and i believe it was well worth the $$. i killed 2 hoovers in short order and realized buying a good one that lasts is fast a wise buy. i've had it for 5 years and just ponied up for the big powerhead last summer. an excellent investment. you can get great deals on eBay or on new old stock from a dealer since they changed the body design a year or so ago (i prefer the older one actually) & the motor is warranted for 10 years. we have a *lot* of dog fur and dust from the busy street to contend with. a lot of people do love oreck which is way more affordable, however reports from several friends suggest it does not hold up dealing with pet hair.

if you want to know more about vacuums (or any appliance) than you ever wanted to, do a search at http://www.thathomesite.com/ "dedicated to those of us with the less than perfect home"

AngelaS
06-20-2003, 09:07 PM
I have a Lindhaus. Dh bought it at a local sewing/vacuum center. It's an upright, lightweight and sucks! (You want a vacuum to suck so that's meant in a good way!) It's the only vacuum I've ever used that I don't have an allergy attack while using. It is so lightweight and so portable---my house has three floors and sees all of them every week.

I no longer own a broom, I just whip this baby out of the closet if I spill sugar on the floor or dd tracks in grass.

I truly don't work for this company, but I LOVE this vacuum! (but then again, I admitted earlier to being a neat freak!)

casey
06-20-2003, 10:03 PM
i have rainbow vacuum i got the old model from e bay
it is so so good since it use water as filter instead of bag.

casey from nyc

lukkykatt
06-21-2003, 09:41 AM
When I bought my vacuum last year, I really really really wanted to get a Dyson. But I needed one right away and couldn't find any being sold yet in the US. Of course, now it is too late for me...but not for you! You can get them at Best Buy now. I secretly wanted to get rid of mine (Hoover Wind Tunnel) and get the Dyson, but I am afraid you probably would have seen me featured on an episode of Divorce Court!

Jeanmick
06-21-2003, 04:28 PM
I also have a Rainbow System which I LOVE. It does a great job in picking up dirt and deodorizing the room (no dirt particles escapes the water filter, so it's great for allergy sufferers). Can be inconvenient for those who don't like dealing w/ cleaning out dirty water each time you vacuum.

DDowning
06-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Another Orek user here and very happy.

Sandy
06-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Another Happy Miele owner. DH has severe allergies and the Miele has helped.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Sarah1
06-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Another happy Oreck user. Also, if you have an Am Ex card, you can pay by monthly payments w/no interest.

kransden
06-23-2003, 09:09 AM
I guess I am the only one with a Sears. I love it. Our first one lasted 15 years and we bought our second last summer. I like cannister vacs as opposed to uprights. It has the on/off switch on the handle, tons of attachments, you can adjust the length of the vac wand. We also have hard wood floors, so the attachements make it easy to clean the floor and stairs. I do find it a little heavy, but it rolls great and had a 28 ft cord or something cray like that. So I don't replug it much. It was under $500.00, so the price was right too.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

ginalc
06-23-2003, 01:58 PM
I bought an Electrolux vacuum 8 years ago and love it! It is the stand-up kind and stops when I've sucked up something too big or wrong (like socks). It also has a micro-hepa filter on the side which works nicely. Great for controlling pet hair and fine dust in the carpet and on smooth floors.

gina, mom to 3

bjiang
06-23-2003, 02:39 PM
We bought a Dyson a few months ago and I have been quite impressed by it. It has much stronger suction than our old and now broken Hoover (don't remember the exact model) vacuum.

beckyr88
07-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks you all for your help...I told DH what everyone suggested and he did some research on his own, (which he loves) and we got the Dyson!

Gotta say, I love it! And it's PURPLE! how cool. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Who would have thought that I could get excited about a vacuum (at least I'm excited this week...)