PDA

View Full Version : ?'s for city mamas

Melanie
06-22-2003, 07:51 PM
We're going on an extended trip...and I'm trying to decide what to bring and what to ship...but not go overboard.

What type of diaper bags do you use? Would it be really unsmart of me to use a backpack diaper bag? I'm wondering if having my belongings on my back would make me a mugging target or something. Am I better off keeping my usual wallet-stuff in pockets?

Is the lighter a stroller the better or the more features? I have a Chicco London (think Mac-ish style) and I like it a lot, it has a storage area, reclines, okay canopy (I have a pepeny also) & rain shield, but no cup holder. Am I better off using this lightweight or something like my Combi Convenience? I may be using public transpo. occasionally.

Anything else I should know? ;-)

Thank You!

newbelly2002
06-23-2003, 03:25 AM
Stroller choice depends on what your days will look like. If you plan to head out in the morning and stay out most of the day then go for the "plusher" stroller for Jonah's comfort. When you come to public transport, you can always ask a stranger to help you carry the stroller down/up the steps if there is no elevator.

If you will be doing a lot of indoor stuff (museusm, tight spaces shopping) and Jonah will not be in the stroller for hours at one sitting then the London should do fine.

As for diaper bags, enough people wear backpacks these days that I don't think that alone will necessarily target you to muggers. I would always stick a few dollars, enough change for the phone and a single credit card in a pocket separate from my wallet--just in case. Just make sure that you're comfortable carrying the daiper bag and stroller and baby, i.e, don't overload yourself.

As an example, we got back a few weeks ago from traveling around Sicily--both city and country. We took our Quinny Stroller (equivalent to the Zooper Z-street in the States, weighes in at about 15 pounds or so). Dante loved it and we were usually out for most of the day. I can carry it up and down steps when need be, although I like the help. We used a very small backpack diaper bag and left extra stuff in the car.

One tip: if you travel DOWN the esclator, travel backwards, i.e. you step on the escalator first and pull the stroller onto the step above/behind you. It makes the balance must more stabile. I hope this makes sense. Traveling up the esclator push the stroller first as you would when walking. Elevators are safer, but sometimes the esclator is the only option.

Have fun and safe travels!

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

C99
06-23-2003, 08:26 AM
I agree w/ Paula; a backpack diaper bag won't make you a target for a mugging. I *live* in the city and my main diaper bag is the Combi backpack.

Melanie
06-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the tips. Since Ds walks now, he doesn't usually spend copious amounts of time in the stroller when we get where we're going, so I think we'll go lightweight over plush. I also think our trips won't be all-day affairs so he wouldn't need to nap in it. Though, ironically, his London seems to PUT him to sleep. No other stroller has done this since toddlerhood, but this one does.